U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2015, 06:42 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Reputation: 7586

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
I wrote this many times but you're wrong.

Let's learn a Chinese character and its pronunciation first.

青=qing

OK. Now we know 青 is pronounced as qing.

Next, let us guess how to pronounce 請.

請 is a combination of 言 and 青.

Remember how to pronounce 青? Yes, it is qing.

Then 請 = qing as well.

清=水+青=qing
情=心+青=qing
晴=日+青=qing
蜻=虫+青=qing

We can pronounce these characters by just looking at them, can't we?

I have a book written in Japanese in front of me, which title is: 絶妙な聞き方技術. No Hiragana or Katakana is typed by the Kanji.
Good analysis.

There is no evidence saying Chinese is more difficult than Japanese or Korean. While the Chinese written form is harder, its grammar is less complicated than either Japanese or Korean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2015, 07:28 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Good analysis.

There is no evidence saying Chinese is more difficult than Japanese or Korean. While the Chinese written form is harder, its grammar is less complicated than either Japanese or Korean.
Plus the fact that Chinese word order generally follows Indo-European word order subject-verb-object whereas Korean and Japanese are subject-object-verb. This makes a significant difference in difficulty. The nice thing about Chinese is, despite the fact that 100% of the language is written in characters, the characters are almost always, if not always, read with one sound and one tone. Contrast to Japanese where the same chracter can be read multiple ways depending on usage.l like my 名鉄駅 and 名古屋 example where 名 has multiple readings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2015, 10:34 AM
 
448 posts, read 499,924 times
Reputation: 170
Chinese language is a logographic writing system, with each character represents a concept rather than a sound, as in syllabaric such as hiragana and katakana of Japanese or phonographic systems such as Latin alphabet and Korean Hangul. When learning to pronunce Chinese characters or words, the learner is required to memorize. Japanese Kanji are more complicated that many Kanji have more than one pronunciation. 3500 simplified characters are commonly used in Mainland China, 4759 traditional characters are commonly used in Hong Kong and 4808 characters are commonly used in Taiwan. Most of these commonly used characters are taught during a child's study at elementary school in Mainland China, HK, Macao and Taiwan. A senior high school student is therefore usually able to read, briefly understand and pronunce correctly almost all of the Chinese words and characters of most modern books in Chinese language.

Chinese language DO NOT have alphabets. Unlike Hangul and English words, they are not invented to let the readers able to pronunce it soon after reading it. Zhuyin and Pinyin are modern invention only. Native Chinese speaking small children do not learn their first dozens Chinese words by a phonetic system, we learn from what we heard from our family members and television. Zhuyin is taught to elementary school students in Taiwan. No phonetic system is used to teach Cantonese to children in HK and Macao. By the end of primary school, a native speaking Chinese should be able to pronunce fluently as he or she read a book, without looking up a dictionary for the correct pronunciation.

A foreign learner should be able to pronounce Japanese kana and Korean hangul by just looking at them. Japanese kanji, like Chinese characters will involve memorization if someone want to master them.

Kana and Hangul were invented to replace Chinese characters as the sole written script in Japan and Korea. Because by being phonetics, it would be easier for people to learn. Literacy rate could be higher in Japan and Korea than in Ming and Qing China, because traditional Chinese characters were harder to learn. Pinyin and Zhuyin did not exist in China for thousands of years, and are never used to write Chinese. People in Chinese dynasties had never seen Abcde. China had many illiterate people until a few decades ago. It is true that many Chinese people have grandparents or great grandparents who cannot read Chinese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You also cannot pronounce Japanese words by just looking at it. If you don't have cursory knowledge of Japanese, you can't read 名鉄駅 by just looking at it either. By the way, 名 has multiple readings, and the reading for this phrase is different from 名古屋.

Chinese and Japanese have phonetic system and alphabet, what are you talking about? Just because they don't normally use it to write their languages, doesn't mean they don't have it. You don't need to hear someone pronounce Chinese characters. Look up the pinyin or zhuyin of the character in Chinese, or hiragana, katakana, or roumaji for Japanese Chinese characters. It's not difficult.

Last edited by lokeung); 11-13-2015 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2015, 08:34 PM
 
919 posts, read 603,473 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Chinese language is a logographic writing system, with each character represents a concept rather than a sound
Sorry, but you are wrong again.

王力學術講座 第60講
本文對已識的1286個商代甲骨文再作整理與研究,得出形聲字佔45.6%。這說明以往認為甲骨文形聲字還 明顯少於表意字的觀點,應該予以修正。這說明甲骨文已經是能夠完備地記錄漢語的成熟的漢字體系。形聲字所佔 的比重的不斷上升,為漢字體系的簡化奠定了基礎。
Even the day of Shang dynasty(from c. 1600 to 1046 BC), 45.6% of all Chinese characters were 形聲字, which form the majority of Chinese characters by far—over 90%, and were created by combining a rebus with a determinative—that is, a character with approximately the correct pronunciation (the phonetic element, similar to a phonetic complement) with one of a limited number of determinative characters which supplied an element of meaning (the semantic element, which in most cases is also the radical under which a character is listed in a dictionary). Refer to Wikipedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2015, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Calgary
61 posts, read 43,901 times
Reputation: 101
The question is silly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 01:04 AM
 
19 posts, read 11,308 times
Reputation: 77
My favourites in East and South East Asia

1. Japan has it all- incredibly convenience and modernity without being blandly Westernised, the most polite and refined people in the world, a pulsating, futuristic megapolis in the form of Tokyo juxtaposed with an ancient and spiritual culture that is well preserved, breathtaking scenery around Mt Fuji, wonderful skiing and tropical beaches, delicious and often very cheap food, fantastically good transport and incredible safety against crimes.

2. Laos and Myanmar- both countries are experiencing some incredible changes and here is so much dynamism and optimism in the air, they are poor but clean, tranquil and beautiful with friendly people and an abundance of lovely sights to see.

3. Thailand has a winning mix of friendly people, cheap and tasty food, incredible tropical scenery in and infectious (if highly chaotic) urbanity but it's become heavily overdeveloped and tacky in many places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 03:13 AM
 
Location: Singapore
653 posts, read 540,722 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooinj0514 View Post
My ranking:

1. Singapore
This country is just best country to live.

2. Japan
Beautiful. Nice people. Those peoples are nicest people than any other nation!

3. S. Korea
Seoul is such an awesome place. Jaijudo is beautiful place too.

4. Thailand
Love there!!!!

5. Malaysia
New Asian Dragon to become.

6. Indonesia
Bali is amazing too!

7. China
Awesome country, but I can't recommend to live there except Hongkong.
Also, no democracy.

8. Vietnam
Poor, but feels safe in there.

9. Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia
Extreme poor. We should just compare them with African countries.
However, those countries are beautiful though.

10. N. Korea

May I ask which criteria did you use to rank them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 12:27 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
May I ask which criteria did you use to rank them?
how close they are with western countries, basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2015, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Vietnam
8 posts, read 5,808 times
Reputation: 10
Did you travel throughout all the countries mentioned or you just made this rank due to researched information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2015, 09:06 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNguyen View Post
Did you travel throughout all the countries mentioned or you just made this rank due to researched information?
I think it is based on how those countries are portrayed in western media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top