Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 06:52 PM

8 posts, read 7,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think it is based on how those countries are portrayed in western media.
Ahh ok I got it but this is not really make sense by judging through that criteria
Just an own opinion from one side.
Anw, appreciated and thanks for sharing the ideas !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 09:21 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,212,545 times
1. Japan

2. Taiwan

3. South Korea

4. Singapore

5. China

6. Malaysia/Thailand

7. Indonesia

8. Vietnam

9. Philippines

10 and Below: the rest

Old 11-24-2015, 08:05 PM

654 posts, read 740,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNguyen View Post
Ahh ok I got it but this is not really make sense by judging through that criteria
In terms of public services, like public healthcare, public education, public housing, I would say Japan, South Korea and singapore comes out at the top. Hong Kong scores well in public healthcare, but a total fail in housing.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:50 PM

280 posts, read 336,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
In terms of public services, like public healthcare, public education, public housing, I would say Japan, South Korea and singapore comes out at the top. Hong Kong scores well in public healthcare, but a total fail in housing.
It's so difficult to compare to be really honest. Japan & South Korea are very high tech, has world class healthcare and decent public housing but a questionable education system at best! Added to this you must remember quality of life....most citizens in these aforementioned countries have a stressful life to enjoy these luxuries.

Also, how comfortable is one living in a country vastly different from the West? If you can put up with the stinking hot, humid weather then Singapore would arguably be number 1 on the list. A number of Japanese cities would also rank highly then probably Seoul.

Taipei and Kaoshuing is a bit of a hard one, if you don't mind a bit of filth, it does have decent healthcare and housing but quality schools are hard to come by.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
It's so difficult to compare to be really honest. Japan & South Korea are very high tech, has world class healthcare and decent public housing but a questionable education system at best! Added to this you must remember quality of life....most citizens in these aforementioned countries have a stressful life to enjoy these luxuries.

Also, how comfortable is one living in a country vastly different from the West? If you can put up with the stinking hot, humid weather then Singapore would arguably be number 1 on the list. A number of Japanese cities would also rank highly then probably Seoul.

Taipei and Kaoshuing is a bit of a hard one, if you don't mind a bit of filth, it does have decent healthcare and housing but quality schools are hard to come by.
I am surprised; never been there, but have been told by my army mates that Taipei and Kaoshiung is really clean.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:08 AM

8,862 posts, read 8,385,809 times
Quote:
I am surprised; never been there, but have been told by my army mates that Taipei and Kaoshiung is really clean.
They are not that dirty tbh.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:05 AM

16,416 posts, read 10,452,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwu View Post
Some of those countries you listed aren't East Asian geographically, ie Vietnam is considered a South East Asian country. You might want to revise your list or revise your thread title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwu View Post
Note my abbreviation "ie." "Ie" means for example. I was citing Vietnam as just one example of a country that isn't East Asian...
Sorry to be pedantic, but i.e. means "in other words." "For example" is "e.g."

As for the topic of this thread, I've never been anywhere in Asia, so I can't comment on which one is the "best." But I do wonder, by what criteria are people ranking these countries? Standard of living? GDP? Lack of crime? Cleanliness? Political freedom? Social openness? Infrastructure development? Ease of living for a Westerner?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:38 AM

I suspect asians tend to rank development by GDP and infrastructure.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:44 PM

280 posts, read 336,871 times
Quote:
Hard to really judge, clean compared to? How do we define "clean"?

When I read reports (before I actually travelled to the said destination), people have always said such and such place is clean, when I actually arrive there I'm underwhelmed by such claims...

I believe what most Asians refer to as clean is very different to the Western meaning...Asians believe that a general lack of rubbish being dumped on streets and graffiti is considered clean. I disagree with this viewpoint, I'd say this is rather tidy and kempt rather than "clean". The Western approach is more a lack of dirt/grime on building/streets/footpaths....which I think is a better measure...

In Asia, due to the inescapable and relentless humidity in summer, most places look very "grimey" and "run down". This is somewhat more visible in places like Taipei where it's humid and in winter, rainy..equals a very run down looking place. Half of Taipei's older buildings need a paint job...

Added to this, with the exception of Japan and possibly South Korea, there isn't that much money in Asia vs Europe/US/Australia to be able to renovate older type buildings.

Tokyo and Singapore are probably the cleanest in Asia by any standard.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:57 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,668,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNguyen View Post
It is a rather silly question to start with.

Many Asian countries are huge and have vastly different culture. It is very different from North America or Australia where the culture, and living standard is more or less uniform.

It is like asking someone, do you want to live in Italy or Spain? I don't know. Milan and Palermo are like two countries, so are Sevilla and Bilbao.

So for westerners to answer such question, it is more based on stereotype they learned from the media than any solid understanding of the Asian countries, not to mention the multiple selections of regions.

For example, does anyone know that while Beijing/North China is highly polluted, Kunming, a southwest city with 4 million people, currently has air quality rated as "good" (pm2.5 at 30, compared 71 in London, with 75 in Tokyo, 53 in Singapore)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia