U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 792 times

Advertisements

I recently traveled to Saigon, Vietnam this summer to visit my relatives. My advice is to eat something you have never eaten before! I ended up meeting new friends and became very fascinated about the culture and history of Vietnam when I returned to the U.S.
If you like the cities and the cuisine, Saigon is the place to stay at.
If you want to check out the history and culture or Vietnam, definitely check out traditional cities and towns such as Imperial City Hue, Hoi An, Da Nang, and Hanoi.
Best of luck and have fun on your trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 04:06 AM

448 posts, read 503,018 times
It is difficult to predict, maybe warm or maybe a bit cold in Southern China at that time.
Hainan is good but receives fewer international visitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Southern China is an interesting option, not sure how warm So. China mainland would be in late Nov and Dec? I've always wondered about Hainan. Indonesia is an option and heard great things about Bali, but very touristy too (even though I would probably head inland to Ubud which is less touristy).

So looks like very good chance it will be Cambodia & VN. I may stop in Singapore on Taiwan or the way to see friends.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:29 PM

19 posts, read 11,386 times
I would suggest Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia with a 3:2:1 split of your time. Cambodia is honestly the least interesting of the three countries and is only worth a pitstop for Siem Riep and Ankor Wat in my opinion. On the other hand, Vietnam offers a diversity of wonders from breathtaking cruises on Halong Bay to beautiful beach resorts and the urban bustle of Saignon whilst Laos is scenic, tranquil and a charming mix of Buddhist culture and French colonial relics.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:02 PM

8 posts, read 5,836 times
Vietnam also a noteworthy country you should visit for, which never waste your attempt of discovering.
Various temples, pagodas you coudl search for..Uncontestedly abundant of street cuisines which is the best temptation to go to Vietnam.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:15 PM

10,165 posts, read 11,984,180 times
I'm also thinking of travelling to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam in the new year some time. Is it easy to travel overland between the 3 countries instead of flying? I'd want to do so to see more of the countryside.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:37 AM

1,826 posts, read 1,252,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'm also thinking of travelling to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam in the new year some time. Is it easy to travel overland between the 3 countries instead of flying? I'd want to do so to see more of the countryside.
Countryside can be more fun but less business economic activity

Old 11-18-2015, 06:44 AM

12,454 posts, read 18,538,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Has anybody traveled to Cambodia or VN lately? What were your thoughts?

People who have been to all...what country did you enjoy most between Cambodia, VN, Thailand and Laos? I have been to Thailand only in SE Asia so far. Considering a trip to check out Singapore, Cambodia and VN in a few weeks....but most of my time will probably be spent in Cambodia. Thinking of hitting mostly Siem Reap, PP, Kampot, and Battambang and maybe some trips into the countryside. VN probably just HCMC and some close day trips from there.

Trying to decide between doing this SE Asia trip or Australia instead. Thanks for the input.
Yeah I just got back a couple weeks ago from that area of the world - Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam...including a stop in Singapore (which I have been to several times before).
I can't say I enjoyed any particular country more than another but perhaps, with my interest and connection with the Vietnam war (not that memory of the war preoccupies the minds of Vietnamese at all), Vietnam held my interest much more. I could and will perhaps in the future spend much more time there.

Cambodia is still very poor, being not only the victim of the Pol Pot regime but civil war within it's communist handlers until basically the early 90s. They have a long way to go to build up the infrastructure. However it's still a fascinating country. I didn't make it up to Angkor Wat but maybe next time...and I've heard that is not to be missed.

Vietnam, at least the southern part, was much more prosperous then I expected. With some areas embracing the capitalistic beach resort aspect such that they look like something airlifted from Cancun. Saigon (be aware that no one except government shills call it HCM city) is prosperous, scooters everywhere, bad traffic, everyone trying to make a buck. We also went up to Hue, the old imperial capital, which was amazing.

There is enough written about Thailand so I am not going to add much. I found the Imperial Palace in Bangkok particularly amazing, even as crowded as it is with tourists.

The only disappointment I should add with any of these places, particularly with Thailand (Phuket) but I can see areas of Vietnam and Cambodia turning into this - are some of these areas are turning into backpacker/tourist slums. You know the place - overrun by young tourists that have no other interest but cheap western food, cheap lodging, cheap beer, cheap weed, and all night beach parties. Culture and history is not part of their interest. Business, primarily bars and lodges, become owned by expats and it quickly becomes spoiled. Fortunetly most of these areas are centered around beaches. I would advice you to avoid these backpacker slums.

Be aware for US citizens you need visa's for both Cambodia and Vietnam.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:31 PM

19 posts, read 11,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNguyen View Post
Various temples, pagodas you coudl search for..Uncontestedly abundant of street cuisines which is the best temptation to go to Vietnam.
Yes! Street cuisine in Vietnam is vibrant with complex flavours and textures. On the other hand, the food in Cambodia and Laos is much less distinctive - although urban Laos has some lovely French restaurants and lots of hipster cafes (but that's probably not what you travel to SE Asia for).

Old 11-22-2015, 04:15 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,166,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah I just got back a couple weeks ago from that area of the world - Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam...including a stop in Singapore (which I have been to several times before).
I can't say I enjoyed any particular country more than another but perhaps, with my interest and connection with the Vietnam war (not that memory of the war preoccupies the minds of Vietnamese at all), Vietnam held my interest much more. I could and will perhaps in the future spend much more time there.

Cambodia is still very poor, being not only the victim of the Pol Pot regime but civil war within it's communist handlers until basically the early 90s. They have a long way to go to build up the infrastructure. However it's still a fascinating country. I didn't make it up to Angkor Wat but maybe next time...and I've heard that is not to be missed.

Vietnam, at least the southern part, was much more prosperous then I expected. With some areas embracing the capitalistic beach resort aspect such that they look like something airlifted from Cancun. Saigon (be aware that no one except government shills call it HCM city) is prosperous, scooters everywhere, bad traffic, everyone trying to make a buck. We also went up to Hue, the old imperial capital, which was amazing.

There is enough written about Thailand so I am not going to add much. I found the Imperial Palace in Bangkok particularly amazing, even as crowded as it is with tourists.

The only disappointment I should add with any of these places, particularly with Thailand (Phuket) but I can see areas of Vietnam and Cambodia turning into this - are some of these areas are turning into backpacker/tourist slums. You know the place - overrun by young tourists that have no other interest but cheap western food, cheap lodging, cheap beer, cheap weed, and all night beach parties. Culture and history is not part of their interest. Business, primarily bars and lodges, become owned by expats and it quickly becomes spoiled. Fortunetly most of these areas are centered around beaches. I would advice you to avoid these backpacker slums.

Be aware for US citizens you need visa's for both Cambodia and Vietnam.
Dd714 thanks for your very helpful and insightful post. I totally agree about the places that become backpacker and tourist "ghettos". I think a lot of Thailand has been hurt by this (especially beach areas, but parts of BKK and Chiang Mai too). I probably won't go back to Thailand because it just too touristy for me now (especially the beach resorts). I'm also not crazy about the level of prostitution that goes on in Thailand. I loved my visit to Japan recently for this reason, there were not a many of the annoying backpacker youth party types because Japan is "perceived" to be expensive (which it is really not anymore) so that keeps them out. Japan felt much less touristy to me than Thailand did.

Bali I hear is also very touristy, although I would go to Ubud inland (vs. Kuta) to get away from the drunk beach crowd - but I hear that is even pretty touristy now.

From what a lot of people are saying, Vietnam sounds like the best bet for me in choosing between Cambodia and VN. If I go during the winter months I guess I should stay in the south part of Vietnam if I want truly warm weather? As for the south part of Vietnam, in addition to Saigon, Can Tho and Ha Tien sounded interesting as well as Mui Ne.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,166,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I looked into it and there are a lot of buses that go from Thailand to Cambodia and Cambodia to VN. There is a bus from Phnom Penh to Saigon and other places in Vietnam and lots from BKK to places in Cambodia. But flights can be fairly cheap too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or