U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:18 PM

448 posts, read 499,924 times

Advertisements

Japan is a developed country therefore inevitably more expensive than Thailand, however it is cheaper now because the value of the Yen is lower and domestic inflation is minimal. Japan receives fewer visitors than Thailand, Singapore, HK, Macao, China etc. Western visitors are highly visible in Southeast Asia. Most visitors to Japan are Asians.

It is not a bad thing to goto touristy places, the infrastrcture is better than some scenic but non famous places in Southeast Asia. My friend went to Hue and Da Nang in Central Vietnam. There is also the scenic Halong Bay in Northern Vietnam. But HCMC is not known for beaches but other things. Hanoi is cloudy and cooler in winter and spring. Most islands of Indonesia are not really good for tourism except the famous Bali and Java. Sabah of Malaysia has some reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
there were not a many of the annoying backpacker youth party types because Japan is "perceived" to be expensive (which it is really not anymore) so that keeps them out. Japan felt much less touristy to me than Thailand did.

Bali I hear is also very touristy, although I would go to Ubud inland (vs. Kuta) to get away from the drunk beach crowd - but I hear that is even pretty touristy now.

From what a lot of people are saying, Vietnam sounds like the best bet for me in choosing between Cambodia and VN. If I go during the winter months I guess I should stay in the south part of Vietnam if I want truly warm weather? As for the south part of Vietnam, in addition to Saigon, Can Tho and Ha Tien sounded interesting as well as Mui Ne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 08:53 PM

3,512 posts, read 4,964,318 times
Son Doong Cave, Vietnam is the largest cave in the world....5.5 miles long, and as high as a 40-story building....It was opened only recently discovered and opened to tourists, and is located in the center of Vietnam near the former "demilitarized zone"

Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 PM

8 posts, read 5,808 times
Vietnam has so many fabulous that you should spend time visit, such as: Mekong Delta, Son Doong cave, Sapa, Ha Long bay...most of them are recorded as "World Natural Heritages" so don't miss your chance to see them

Old 09-03-2017, 11:09 PM

3 posts, read 867 times
An excursion to Vietnam is absolutely the most unforgettable holiday ever simply because it offers you various experience when you check out most of the amazing spots from Northern to Southern area in Vietnam.
Vietnam is divided into 3 areas, the north, the central and the south. Each area has its unique attractions which make your travel experience in Vietnam wonderful in each day.
The North offers tourists a typical and ordinary Vietnam such as history, culture, family values, and lifestyles.
The center is a combination of the northern and the southern area. The central part is where exists many heritage from natural landscapes such as Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park to ancient architecture including royal tombs and forbidden citadel in Hue, Hoi An ancient town, holy temples in My Son temple. Sitting back at amazing beaches and beach resorts along the coast in My Khe beach, Cua Dai Beach, Lang Co beach also embellishes your journey.
The southern area is gifted with fertile land, and from Ho Chi Minh city you can establish a great excursion to Cu Chi tunnels, Can Gio mangrove forest, Mekong delta's floating markets, fruit gardens or world's best beaches in Con Dao, Nha Trang Mui Ne, Phu Quoc Island,....
You should visit Vietnam and enjoy your trip.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:19 AM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The only disappointment I should add with any of these places, particularly with Thailand (Phuket) but I can see areas of Vietnam and Cambodia turning into this - are some of these areas are turning into backpacker/tourist slums. You know the place - overrun by young tourists that have no other interest but cheap western food, cheap lodging, cheap beer, cheap weed, and all night beach parties. Culture and history is not part of their interest. Business, primarily bars and lodges, become owned by expats and it quickly becomes spoiled. Fortunetly most of these areas are centered around beaches. I would advice you to avoid these backpacker slums.
Thailand has been like that since my first visit in 1996, and I've always felt that Cambodia and Vietnam are strongly on the same path.

I'd say that Southeast Asia is Backpacker Central to the core. Particularly these three countries, and Bali.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:23 AM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Japan is a developed country therefore inevitably more expensive than Thailand, however it is cheaper now because the value of the Yen is lower and domestic inflation is minimal. Japan receives fewer visitors than Thailand, Singapore, HK, Macao, China etc. Western visitors are highly visible in Southeast Asia. Most visitors to Japan are Asians.
I lived in Japan for 5 1/2 years. I saw foreign tourists absolutely everywhere, particularly Kyoto & Tokyo. While many tourists are Asian, there are multitudes among the 13 milllion tourists a year, who are foreigners as well.

Japan is still quite expensive though, and it does weed out the backpacker types, as one simply cannot do much on a backpacker budget in Japan. Most of the tourists I always saw in Japan, seem to be the kind who had the money to spend a lot of time sitting around in starbucks, particularly the one in front of Kyoto Station. It was always packed with white faces from opening to closing, in constant rotation.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:51 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,372,059 times
You can make Vietnam your base and take a short flight to Siem Reap to spend some time in Angkor Wat. Siem Reap is a pleasant and low-key city. People there were friendly and Angkor Wat is amazing. One caveat, the Cambodan airlines don't have the best safety ratings so I would take a Vietnamese airline (and make sure they are actually operating the flight). There are frequent flights to/from Saigon/Hanoi and less frequent flights to/from Danang (2 or 3 times per week).

The overland from Bangkok to Siem Reap is supposed to be fairly easy (7 to 8 hours unless you get tied up at Cambodian immigration), but we flew that route as well and then took a night flight to Danang and made Hue our base in Vietnam. I wouldn't do an overland from Siem Reap to/from Vietnam unless you have a lot of time to spare.

Last edited by xeric; 09-04-2017 at 10:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or