Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 03:37 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,922 times

Advertisements

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...sister-9949964

YESSS!

Finally time for peace on the Korean Peninsula and an end to nuclear warfare.

And all it took was an anti-war President and a drop dead gorgeous woman to accomplish this task.

It shows everyone that if you know what you want you can get it. Once korea is united the high end companies of the south can use the cheap labor from the north to lower production costs and even surpass China on the global stage. I’m not Korean but I’m so glad foreign powers failed to divide the Korean people for their own purposes.

God bless everyone and may peace ring around the entire globe one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 04:00 PM

30,343 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

YESSS!

And all it took was an anti-war President and a drop dead gorgeous woman to accomplish this task.

It shows everyone that if you know what you want you can get it. Once korea is united the high end companies of the south can use the cheap labor from the north to lower production costs and even surpass China on the global stage. I’m not Korean but I’m so glad foreign powers failed to divide the Korean people for their own purposes.

Well I hope you're right. You still have a nation that is run as if the Dear Leader is a God and can do no wrong.....how to transition that? Maybe unify Korea and name the Kim's a royal family?

I worked in Seoul for 8 months and the Koreans I talked with were disinterested in N. Korea.

So I'm hopeful but cautious.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:07 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,722 times
Jumping the gun there aren’t you? They are barely keeping this casual relationship working, let alone any serious negotiations. The “unified” team don’t even share the same housing, the north’s team is basically locked up and they are barely allowed to interact with anyone outside their delegation. Kim’s sister is a massive propaganda drive and the south is only going along to improve relations.

Korea is very very far from unification. As long as the Kims rule N Korea, there will never be unity. Unity is only going to happen through a collapse of the north’s government or invasion. They won’t ever willing give up their power.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Jumping the gun there aren’t you? They are barely keeping this casual relationship working, let alone any serious negotiations. The “unified” team don’t even share the same housing, the north’s team is basically locked up and they are barely allowed to interact with anyone outside their delegation. Kim’s sister is a massive propaganda drive and the south is only going along to improve relations.

Korea is very very far from unification. As long as the Kims rule N Korea, there will never be unity. Unity is only going to happen through a collapse of the north’s government or invasion. They won’t ever willing give up their power.
I disagree. These symbolic acts of partnership are huge in Asian countries.

For this first time since 1957 Koreans are marching to a united flag in the Olympics, the north’s band is inviting K-pop singers to perform with them.

The US and China may both want them divided but Koreans know better.

The Kim family defended the north from US imperialism while also avoiding becoming a puppet of the Soviets, due to this a deal can be struck that leaves the Kims as a royal family (with no real power) and then the future is set.

Also that beautiful woman was not just a pretty face, she was Un’s sister. Modest, elegant, and with the smile of an angel; she knows what she’s doing and speaks with authority.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:29 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:

YESSS!

HAHAHAHAHA, are you serious? Lester Holt is that you?
Lester Holt slammed for North Korea coverage | Daily Mail Online

Seriously, we all wish this were true, peace rings out everyone holds hands and sings Kumbaya. But let's take a reality check here, North Korea has indeed done this before - joined South Korea in opening ceremonies. Then they go back north and everything is like before, the only difference is he is just that much further ahead in his nuclear weapons program.

Meanwhile, N. Korea, on the eve of the Olympics, just had a military parade.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/07/asia/...ntl/index.html
The timing was intentional, as the article says: "For North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, the parade is an opportunity to stoke patriotic fervor and to remind the world of his country's rapid progress on its nuclear program. For South Korea, it's a poke in the eye after efforts by President Moon Jae-in to present a united front as the two Koreas compete under the same flag."

North Korea has some 400 citizens down for the Olympics - athletes, support staff, VIPs, cheerleaders. About 10% have another true role - they are security to make sure the athletes don't defect, don't say the wrong thing, don't misbehave. See those N. Korean cheerleaders? See Fatty's sister up in the stands? She would not hesitate to order the death of the family for any of these cheerleaders if they say something to insult their country during the Olympics.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:16 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Quote:

YESSS!

One thing that I can guarantee is that they are not going to surpass China.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
One thing that I can guarantee is that they are not going to surpass China.
In the 60s when the Soviet Union was ruling half the world and had a country 100 Times the size of puny West Germany no one could consider Germany, even a united German, surpassing them.

Today it’s the same case, the Chinese dominate the (poorer) North Korea as the Soviets did with East Germany while the south (like the west) is richer but not comparable to the larger nation, China (or the USSR)

But korea like germany is a unified homogeneous culture and they can work together to build something new while China (like the Soviet Union) is a massive authoritarian state with many regions pushing for independence.

China only has land to lose (like Tibet, Xinjiang, Hong Kong, Inner Mongolia, etc.) like the Soviets did (like Ukraine, Lithuania, Belarus, kazakhstan, etc.) while South Korea (like West Germany) only has land to gain and a population united under one cause.

Just wait, it’ll happen.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:59 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Quote:
In the 60s when the Soviet Union was ruling half the world and had a country 100 Times the size of puny West Germany no one could consider Germany, even a united German, surpassing them.

Today it’s the same case, the Chinese dominate the (poorer) North Korea as the Soviets did with East Germany while the south (like the west) is richer but not comparable to the larger nation, China (or the USSR)

But korea like germany is a unified homogeneous culture and they can work together to build something new while China (like the Soviet Union) is a massive authoritarian state with many regions pushing for independence.

China only has land to lose (like Tibet, Xinjiang, Hong Kong, Inner Mongolia, etc.) like the Soviets did (like Ukraine, Lithuania, Belarus, kazakhstan, etc.) while South Korea (like West Germany) only has land to gain and a population united under one cause.

Just wait, it’ll happen.
Of course, time will tell but I don't see Tibet or any of the other autonomous provinces breaking up. China is just too powerful for that.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Of course, time will tell but I don't see Tibet or any of the other autonomous provinces breaking up. China is just too powerful for that.
So were the Soviets, until they weren’t.

These things take time but remember, power held through force is a temporary state.

Anyways Koreans love each other and want to stand side by side on their own accord.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:20 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,456 times
Quote:
So were the Soviets, until they weren’t.

These things take time but remember, power held through force is a temporary state.

Anyways Koreans love each other and want to stand side by side on their own accord.
I would pass on the style of love Kim Jong Unh passes out.

Don't get me wrong, I would love it if these 2 nations could resolve their differences but I suspect the more likely choice is that N. Korea is just making a show for PR purposes to steal the show from S. Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia