U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 02:19 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times

Advertisements

Of course it can. America was. The Cuyahoga River was on fire once. Several entire cities in America have been abandoned because it would be suicide to live in their toxicity. Some Appalachian coal towns were almost as bad, but nobody declared them dangerous, and hundreds just died breathing in them, over a matter of weeks.. Donora PA. Times Beach MO. Love Canal NY.

A hundred years ago, every building in Pittsburgh was black, coated with particulate from the atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 06:11 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,389,817 times
I can recall reading accounts in the media that Americans living in Beijing don't go out except to commute to work. Otherwise they just stay at home even on the weekends to avoid the pollution. Some US companies have even scaled back their operations or totally left Beijing since they consider that working in the city constitutes a work place hazard to health.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:27 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,618,305 times
China is a huge polluter; but on a per capita basis, it's much cleaner than Americans, Canadians and Japanese....

԰-׽ *Ⱦ -6park.com

Old 12-13-2015, 11:21 AM

4,520 posts, read 3,104,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
China is a huge polluter; but on a per capita basis, it's much cleaner than Americans, Canadians and Japanese....

԰-׽ *Ⱦ -6park.com
then why don't you go live there since you love it so much

Old 12-13-2015, 11:35 AM

3,874 posts, read 1,665,217 times
Default How is Japan's economy/population doing?

Did Japan's environment clean up due to public policy, or was it their economy in freefall since their land mortgaging/bank/finance bubble burst in the 1980s? I know their population is diminishing, & I believe they're below their replacement birth ratio, so their population will continue to contract.

My impression is that their economy is in trouble, has been for a while. The Fukushima nuclear power station disaster hasn't helped any, of course. Along with the tsunami damage, Japan still has to clean up, remediate the nuclear contamination, do the long-term monitoring & studies. & of course, they'll have to replace the damaged nukes with either more nukes or some other way to generate electricity.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:48 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,128,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So sad! Where does public opinion stand in this regard? Is there much call to clean things up?
I figure it'd be better to start a new thread talking about pollution in other countries since it feels like we are derailing the topic.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:41 PM

1,089 posts, read 479,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I figure it'd be better to start a new thread talking about pollution in other countries since it feels like we are derailing the topic.
Well then, you need to talk to political owners of international politics (certainly no use on City-Data Forum). "Pollutions" is a subject of international politics. China's government owns the politics there, controls internet and all other media in China.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:11 PM

4,692 posts, read 3,618,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
then why don't you go live there since you love it so much
Hay danger, that's quite a leap in assumption, even for you. Look at the graph and expand your mind.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:13 PM

12 posts, read 12,699 times
jtur88 makes a good point. The technology exists to fix the situation, you just need the political will to implement it. I'll just leave this photo here for your consideration (Louisville, KY, circa 1950):

Many American industrial towns looked like this well into the 1970's.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:15 PM

4,376 posts, read 1,816,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
North China is hitting near apocalyptic like levels of pollution, especially this coming Northern Hemisphere Winter, especially in cities like Shenyang.

Can China ever remove it's pollution or at least get it back to somewhat not so dangerous levels? I think it's just too many people and now with some dollars being earned, everyone there wants to live a Western lifestyle (cars, modern conveniences like heaters, air conditioners etc.)

Japan and Korea was once very polluted due to factories there but managed to clean up relatively well, but China is 10x bigger - 10 x the problems and size of the problems.

I can see the biggest issues:

- Inefficient factories.
- Coal burning stations.
- Cars.

Can they clean up in the foreseeable future?
Doubtful China is doomed. It is a paper tiger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or