U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 09:01 PM

3,935 posts, read 5,587,293 times

Advertisements

A little reading material for you. It was eye opening.

http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Beautif...tiful+forevers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 09:04 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,039,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So, if India is so wonderful, then why do so many Indians want to leave? Why aren't they staying there and making their own country even more wonderful?
because it is not on par with Western countries, not even close.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:26 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,535,449 times
Default Yep, India is soooo beautiful.... NOT!

Wow, such praise for India on here, I guess that wonderful caste system they have is soooo progressive and such a good thing for their people and one to be honored.

Born into a lower caste that has nothing but a one bedroom shack with dirt floors to live in and a hot plate to cook on "if" you can find food?
Take comfort in the fact that no matter what you do you will NEVER EVER move up or out. All due to who your parents, your grandparents etc are.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:05 AM

13,038 posts, read 6,230,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
because it is not on par with Western countries, not even close.
I get that^ So why aren't they staying at home and working to make their country better?

Old 12-07-2015, 12:25 AM

723 posts, read 583,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Actually Non-Muslims can legally have more than one wife but it is frowned upon by their families.
Totally incorrect information. In India, only Muslims are allowed to have more than one wife.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:33 AM

723 posts, read 583,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Wow, such praise for India on here, I guess that wonderful caste system they have is soooo progressive and such a good thing for their people and one to be honored.

Born into a lower caste that has nothing but a one bedroom shack with dirt floors to live in and a hot plate to cook on "if" you can find food?
Take comfort in the fact that no matter what you do you will NEVER EVER move up or out. All due to who your parents, your grandparents etc are.
True if you are talking about the 1950's, or of very remote rural areas.
Indian cities are very different, and people now have the opportunity to advance in life, without the burden of the caste system
BTW, did you know that in India, people of what is called "lower castes and tribes" have reservation in government jobs and in government colleges? (kind of similar to affirmative action, but a lot more potent).

Old 12-07-2015, 06:01 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,535,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
True if you are talking about the 1950's, or of very remote rural areas.
Indian cities are very different, and people now have the opportunity to advance in life, without the burden of the caste system
BTW, did you know that in India, people of what is called "lower castes and tribes" have reservation in government jobs and in government colleges? (kind of similar to affirmative action, but a lot more potent).
Well, according to our friends who went to India earlier this year to visit their son who's a Christian pastor there (not a very safe thing to do) and after speaking to their new daughter in law who just immigrated here from India the caste system is alive and well so I guess we're still in the '50s?

Some of the stories our friends told of what they saw I can only describe as horror stories, things that make the worst parts of Mexican border towns look like Beverly Hills I think is an accurate description.

I can only go by what I'm told by someone who lived it and people who recently witnessed it.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:57 AM

1,514 posts, read 999,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
It is a bit more complicated.

Unlike US, India has laws to appease the different groups within India e.g. Only Muslims are allowed to have 4 wives, because Polygamy is condoned in Islam. All others (Non-Muslims) in India can only legally have one wife.
Polygamy is illegal for all Indians. In addition, moslems are not the only group to practice polygamy in India as some ethnic groups who are primarily Hindu, Buddhist or Christian (tribal groups) practice it for cultural, but not religious reasons.
In all probability, the concessions that you are speaking about are more long the lines of: Polygamy is illegal, but the law is prohibiting it is passive, not active. It is the same here with consenting adults.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:59 AM

43,556 posts, read 52,658,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, according to our friends who went to India earlier this year to visit their son who's a Christian pastor there (not a very safe thing to do) and after speaking to their new daughter in law who just immigrated here from India the caste system is alive and well so I guess we're still in the '50s?

Some of the stories our friends told of what they saw I can only describe as horror stories, things that make the worst parts of Mexican border towns look like Beverly Hills I think is an accurate description.

I can only go by what I'm told by someone who lived it and people who recently witnessed it.
I can assure you that I know FAR more people than you, have visited MANY times, and pretty much your family members are playing up the drama.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:22 PM

3,607 posts, read 1,558,027 times
I posted the article because there are too many stereotypes and misconceptions going around. India is dirt poor , is third world and unliveable by Western standards. But most of the media tends to show only that.. BBC called Modi a terrorist ( his human rights record is not the cleanest) , yet rolls out red carpet recently.

Same thing about Pak. It was a superpower in cricket but for last 7-8 years they could not even ask foreign teams to play there due to security situation. Each of the countries government keeps blaming each other for politics.

This was one of the feel good articles that shed some light on the truth about the recent floods . It doesnt take away the fact that India is third world or poor though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or