U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2015, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,299 posts, read 3,400,041 times
Reputation: 2037

Advertisements

The Indian Constitution does allow individuals to apply religious law to their personal lives as long as it doesn't interfere with public order, health, and morality. For a while Muslims were allowed to have more than one wife, but the Indian Supreme Court recently took an active stance against polygamy in a case concerning a public employee filing suit for being fired for marrying a second wife after the first wife's sister filed a complaint against him.

Jimj, "caste" plays a role in socio-economic mobility in India but in a much more nuanced fashion than whatever impression was painted in your head. It mostly has to do with trade knowledge, businesses, and/or land being passed down from generation to generation, connections and support networks from established kinship networks, and expectations placed on progeny rather than actual social or legal barriers preventing people from bettering themselves. If you look carefully enough around the U.S., you'll see some of the same factors affecting socio-economic mobility in America as well. The quality of public education in the U.S., easier access to credit and higher education, the fact the economy shifted away from the agricultural sector, and the quality and quantity of employment opportunities found in the U.S. masks and mitigates these factors.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 12-09-2015 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2015, 03:11 PM
 
3,339 posts, read 2,080,909 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I get that^ So why aren't they staying at home and working to make their country better?
if that's how Europeans think during the 15th century up to WWII, there would be no AMERICA you are so proud of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2015, 05:31 PM
 
6,227 posts, read 6,379,313 times
Reputation: 2861
Are you sure India is secular? India has lots of different kinds of people. There is ethnic tensions that exist, and a caste system. And don't the wives still burn themselves alive on their husbands funerals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2015, 05:38 PM
 
6,227 posts, read 6,379,313 times
Reputation: 2861
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I got a VERY different impression and view of India from a documentary I saw, as well as from the news there. Women are raped often, and the rapists rarely prosecuted. That's where that horrible event happened, where a young couple was on a bus (good jobs or college, bright futures), when a group of Indian gangstas took over the bus, kicked everyone off, the bus driver took off running, so the gangstas could beat to near death the male and throw him from the bus. They then gang raped the young woman, and killed her by pushing a pipe up thru her you know what...killing her in a torturous way. They had tortured her before that, too. No police came.

The guys were only caught and prosecuted because of the public outcry.

This is also where a group of foreign tourists were camping, when they were robbed, raped, and killed by Indian gangstas.

Things like this are an everyday occurrence there.

The documentary showed the two Indias: the slums and rural areas, where people are proverty stricken, with no hope. No education, no sanitation, no running water in the rural areas. Young female children are sent to the highways to flag down truckers for prostitution to support the family.

People dine at luxury restaurants, while through the windows they can see the poor and starving.

It is democracy. But it's democracy gone awry, it seems. Also, the religions of Islam and Hindu are very powerful there.

Watch the movies Slumdog Millionaire and Gandhi.

Those are the impressions and information I've gotten from news reports and documentaries.
Is that because of religion, or socio-economics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2015, 05:42 PM
 
3,142 posts, read 1,731,417 times
Reputation: 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Totally incorrect information. In India, only Muslims are allowed to have more than one wife.
The others have hook ups. At least Muslim men marry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2015, 05:48 PM
 
3,142 posts, read 1,731,417 times
Reputation: 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Are you sure India is secular? India has lots of different kinds of people. There is ethnic tensions that exist, and a caste system. And don't the wives still burn themselves alive on their husbands funerals?
India is secular the same way US is, that the laws made through legislation, not based on religion. People are free to practice their religion, there is no state religion. Just as the Amish have their own religious laws that they can invoke to refuse being drafted, there are religious laws for Hindus, Muslims, Christians and Parsis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2015, 05:48 PM
 
6,227 posts, read 6,379,313 times
Reputation: 2861
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
The Indian Constitution does allow individuals to apply religious law to their personal lives as long as it doesn't interfere with public order, health, and morality. For a while Muslims were allowed to have more than one wife, but the Indian Supreme Court recently took an active stance against polygamy in a case concerning a public employee filing suit for being fired for marrying a second wife after the first wife's sister filed a complaint against him.

Jimj, "caste" plays a role in socio-economic mobility in India but in a much more nuanced fashion than whatever impression was painted in your head. It mostly has to do with trade knowledge, businesses, and/or land being passed down from generation to generation, connections and support networks from established kinship networks, and expectations placed on progeny rather than actual social or legal barriers preventing people from bettering themselves. If you look carefully enough around the U.S., you'll see some of the same factors affecting socio-economic mobility in America as well. The quality of public education in the U.S., easier access to credit and higher education, the fact the economy shifted away from the agricultural sector, and the quality and quantity of employment opportunities found in the U.S. masks and mitigates these factors.
But I hear it gets worse. I remember not too long ago a news story broke out about the Dalits (lowest castes) having issues of getting raped by the higher castes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2015, 05:50 PM
 
6,227 posts, read 6,379,313 times
Reputation: 2861
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
India is secular the same way US is, that the laws made through legislation, not based on religion. People are free to practice their religion, there is no state religion. Just as the Amish have their own religious laws that they can invoke to refuse being drafted, there are religious laws for Hindus, Muslims, Christians and Parsis.
That is a good thing, but on the street, and local levels, there may still be some ethnic and religious tension. And too be truly secular, you cannot have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2015, 05:56 PM
 
3,142 posts, read 1,731,417 times
Reputation: 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I get that^ So why aren't they staying at home and working to make their country better?
Because the opportunities are more plentiful in US. Indians who come here for the most part are well educated professionals and their talents are in great demand. They work hard and many are entrepreneurs. Easier to start a business here and succeed than it is in India which has a lot of red tape and corruption. They are now successful both in India and here but there is also lot of poverty because the govt. is corrupt, taxes are not collected, and the rich live a parelell life and the poor live in desperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2015, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,299 posts, read 3,400,041 times
Reputation: 2037
I feel like a genius every time I stop by the city-data forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top