U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
The main problem with Taiwan is that the people are too laid back when you compare it to more developed economies in Asia i.e. Japan, HK, Singapore, South Korea.

Having said all that it is really difficult to assess and compare Taiwan (size, population, international status) to any other country in Asia, let alone the world. HK and Singapore are not fair comparisons, much smaller cities. Japan and South Korea are at least double Taiwan.

Taiwan started to develop in the 50s, probably the third in Asia that began industrialisation - after Japan and Hong Kong. Even South Korea didn't really take off yet in the 50s! It was pretty much on par with Korea pre 2000....both made internal parts of products without much brand name presence or did a lot of contract manufacturing. The Asian Financial Crisis almost killed off South Korea but it was the catalyst for them develop internationally.

A lot of people in Taiwan compare themselves to South Korea but I think that is unfair and South Korea these days is closer economically and technologically to Japan than Taiwan. A lot of the tours I went on in Taiwan kept re-iterating that historically, the government never saw Taiwan as a long term solution, that is, one day they will retake the mainland. As that hope gradually dwindled over the decades, it probably partially explains why Taiwan looks shabby...but that is no excuse for it not to clean up once it was developed.

I guess Taiwan needs "simple gloss", if I was running the place, I'd put these procedures in place:

1. For Starters they can at the very least do something like a Kyoto......clean up the same streets, clean up the illegal buildings and start some basic urban planning.

2. Introduce Kei cars, assemble them or build them, remove those damn scooters, they cause too much traffic chaos and pollution and really gives it that undeveloped look and feel.

3. Introduce more "green" into society, introduce stuff like better bike lanes.

The Taipei mayor has already said he is looking towards Amsterdam and Osaka as models. I think done right, Taiwan can be clean, quaint and developed, much like that of Northern and Central Europe...I much prefer that than those glitzy skylines of Tokyo or Shanghai! Like it needs a "soul".....Currently I like how it somewhat presents a more Confucian Chinese society than what China does.
I think the socio-economic factor that I can correlate with the problem is "stagnating" aggregate demand from services and manufacturing sectors. Wage is not growing because aggregate demand is stagnating. Deflation happens because aggregate demand is stagnating. This cycle is endless.

Taiwan, as I remember back in 1995, was sort of middle-class heaven. No fancy stuff but people were very stable and laid back. They did not have fancy big corporations like Samsung or Sony with lots of ups and downs but small to mid sized companies with no ups and downs during Asian Financial crisis. But the problem here is that, those small to mid sized companies are not good enough to pull-in aggregate demands. Korean companies formed very strong unions where as Taiwanese companies did not have those. I think this also contributed to Taiwan's low-wage. Maybe Taiwanese government should promote unions to end this low-wage cycle.

I am not a Taiwan expert so i cannot really comment on how they can improve but one thing is for sure, they chose "safe" choice while Korea definitely chose "riskier" option but with greater rewards after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 10:28 AM

1,089 posts, read 481,900 times
Sometimes, when everything is so pricey, it could show up on GDP per capita as a developed economy, but the real quality of life could still be low. Real estate price is a good example, when it cost too much just to get a place to live, how much income is not that meaningful. Taiwan has a higher cost of living.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:52 AM

6,788 posts, read 5,147,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
Sometimes, when everything is so pricey, it could show up on GDP per capita as a developed economy, but the real quality of life could still be low. Real estate price is a good example, when it cost too much just to get a place to live, how much income is not that meaningful. Taiwan has a higher cost of living.
Than where? India?

Old 02-12-2017, 01:25 AM

55 posts, read 33,265 times
Taiwan indeed the cheapeast develop economy.

The Southern European and Eastern European countries using Euro as their currency are more expensive.

South Korea is more expensive than Taiwan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia