U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 09:49 PM

919 posts, read 603,270 times

Advertisements

There is no internet censorship in China, says China’s top censor
Lu Wei, chief of the State Internet Information Office, said China does not censor but “manages” internet content in Zhejiang on Wednesday.
And my favorite comment on this news is:

Never trust men who hide their real hair color.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-14-2015 at 03:02 AM.. Reason: English only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 07:09 AM

12,299 posts, read 18,417,176 times
What's the dude going to say: "yeah, sorry, I do not let the citizens of China look up information on Tibet or Tiananmian, and you get logged if you enter the word 'freedom' too much, and facebook or youtube is dangerous"? He would be out of a job or worse, so they word is MANAGE the internet for the peoples own safety.

It's the "Great Firewall of China", most Chinese don't care because they can easily get around it with a VPN, and it's so random and variable it's a joke - on one trip I found the CityData forum blocked.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:48 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,616,660 times
Yup, no Tibet or Tiananman, but now everyone can look up air pollution.

China's Biggest Polluters Face Wrath of Data-Wielding Citizens - Bloomberg Business

Old 12-14-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yup, no Tibet or Tiananman, but now everyone can look up air pollution.

China's Biggest Polluters Face Wrath of Data-Wielding Citizens - Bloomberg Business
No Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram, no {put anything you want to}.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:21 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,616,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
No Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram, no {put anything you want to}.
I'm not sure if these things are actually good for anyone except for teenage girls who can't stop texting to each other...It's interesting that you find them so important.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:13 PM

608 posts, read 466,162 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if these things are actually good for anyone except for teenage girls who can't stop texting to each other...It's interesting that you find them so important.
I would say that its more interesting than the Chinese government finds them so important. Important enough to bother censoring.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:41 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,361,441 times
I can access the English wikipedia articles on Tianenmen or the Tibetan independence movement without a VPN, and have also been able to read articles critical of China on CNN... but then, I won't be able to access a CNN/BBC/HuffPo article about Africa or the Middle East or something.

The CD forums have been blocked a few times, usually after there's a heated debate involving China and a few mysterious posters appear with one or two "CHINA IS GOOD, IT IS AMERICA WHO IS #1 TERRORIST!" posts and then vanish... but then it's back up in a few days.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if these things should be banned by the government. It's interesting that you don't find individual freedom is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia