Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of Chinese or Japanese is harder to learn for a Westerner?
Chinese is harder 23 74.19%
Japanese is harder 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:45 PM

28 posts, read 32,929 times

Advertisements

Here in Hong Kong, most Cantonese or Chinese foreign learners can speak, but very few of them can read and write Cantonese or Chinese. Same in many Overseas Chinese communities, with western born Chinese able to speak fluent Cantonese or Chinese, but unable to read and write.

I know it is not the same in other Asian regions. Most foreign learners can read the languages.

In Hong Kong again, most people are good at reading and writing English than speaking, because of the lack of chance to speak English reguarly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 11:34 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Counters in Japanese can be frustrating, I want to pull my hair out when trying to remember them, and the special pronunciations for the numbers like 3日 (third day of the month, not 3 days) is みっか and not さんひ

Old 01-21-2016, 03:26 AM

919 posts, read 840,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Counters in Japanese can be frustrating, I want to pull my hair out when trying to remember them, and the special pronunciations for the numbers like 3日 (third day of the month, not 3 days) is みっか and not さんひ
I feel sympathy with you for those irregularities

BTW, if the 3 of 3日 was read as さん, then ひ would become ぴ

The Japanese writing system is a mess. As far as I know, it is the worst one in the world. Egyptian hieroglyphs come close.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:02 AM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
I agree, learning the irregular pronunciations can be hard! As a matter of fact, English also has some irregularities like this, which we take for granted. A foreign learner has to remember that though 1 is "one" and 2 is "two," 1st is "first," 2nd is "second," 11 is "eleven" and 12 is "twelve."

But, you have me on the counters. Those counters are just awful, and you have to learn them all in Chinese, too, though without the irregularities.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
I feel sympathy with you for those irregularities

BTW, if the 3 of 3日 was read as さん, then ひ would become ぴ

The Japanese writing system is a mess. As far as I know, it is the worst one in the world. Egyptian hieroglyphs come close.
くそ!Hmm my Japanese IME must not be so smart (Anthy for Linux), because さんぴ gives me 賛否 and さんひ gives me 三日.

You're so lucky you're a native speaker. I wonder how many JLPT N1 (equivalent to HSK 1/C1 if you didn't know) level Japanese speakers make mistakes with the counters. So far, that seems to be the hardest thing in Japanese at my level and there's separate counters for everything! I mean, a counter for flat objects like paper??? I love Japanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree, learning the irregular pronunciations can be hard! As a matter of fact, English also has some irregularities like this, which we take for granted. A foreign learner has to remember that though 1 is "one" and 2 is "two," 1st is "first," 2nd is "second," 11 is "eleven" and 12 is "twelve."

But, you have me on the counters. Those counters are just awful, and you have to learn them all in Chinese, too, though without the irregularities.
Yes I bookmarked a webpage that teaches you the pronunciations for the days of a month and there's plenty of irregular ones. As far as I know, numbers 1, 4, and 9 are usually irregular? Yanagisawa, what do you think?

Old 01-21-2016, 11:09 AM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
くそ!Hmm my Japanese IME must not be so smart (Anthy for Linux), because さんぴ gives me 賛否 and さんひ gives me 三日.
But as far as I know, 三日 is never pronounced either さんひ (sanhi) or さんぴ (sanbi), it's pronounced みっか(mikka).

The usual meaning for さんび (sanbi) is 賛美 "praise." 賛否 is さんぴ sanpi, not sanbi. (It's REALLY hard to distinguish dakuten from maru in some fonts).

Yanagisawa, is 三日 ever pronounced any other way than みっか?

Old 01-21-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
But as far as I know, 三日 is never pronounced either さんひ (sanhi) or さんぴ (sanbi), it's pronounced みっか(mikka).

The usual meaning for さんび (sanbi) is 賛美 "praise." 賛否 is さんぴ sanpi, not sanbi. (It's REALLY hard to distinguish dakuten from maru in some fonts).

Yanagisawa, is 三日 ever pronounced any other way than みっか?
No he was just telling me that ひ after さん is usually, or always pronounced ぴ as a general rule not as a single word

Old 01-21-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Chinese is easier, still, there are irregularities

Two days in Chinese is 两天/两日 not 二天/二日.

Two thousand is more complicated. Some people say 两千 and others 二千. Beijing people tend to use 二 more frequently.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
You're so lucky you're a native speaker. I wonder how many JLPT N1 (equivalent to HSK 1/C1 if you didn't know) level Japanese speakers make mistakes with the counters. So far, that seems to be the hardest thing in Japanese at my level and there's separate counters for everything! I mean, a counter for flat objects like paper??? I love Japanese
Hahahaha... I love foreigners

Dishes, papers, medals are flat and thin. Obvious facts, aren't they?

Quote:
Yes I bookmarked a webpage that teaches you the pronunciations for the days of a month and there's plenty of irregular ones. As far as I know, numbers 1, 4, and 9 are usually irregular? Yanagisawa, what do you think?
Well, I DON'T think

Old 01-22-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Hahahaha... I love foreigners

Dishes, papers, medals are flat and thin. Obvious facts, aren't they?

Well, I DON'T think
Yeah you just know it you bastard That's how my gf feels about my Spanish haha. How can I do the R sound so easily and how I know how to conjugate verbs without thinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia