U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of Chinese or Japanese is harder to learn for a Westerner?
Chinese is harder 23 74.19%
Japanese is harder 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:44 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,157,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The only reason reading hiragana is more difficult than reading English is the Japanese practice of writing without spaces, sothatyouhavetofigureoutwordboundariesasyougo. (Chinese and Korean do the same thing). It's true, it tends to be easier to differentiate words in sentences written in a combination of kanji and kana, especially as a nonnative. Otherwise, hiragana is exceedingly simple to read.

And kana are not just a vehicle to learn Chinese characters. Have you studied Japanese? It is virtually impossible to write Japanese sentences without kana. They are vital for expressing verb and adjective cases and tenses and writing grammatical particles, among other things.
They are just a vehicle. Technically, Japanese doesn't need kana to write grammatical elements and particles. They are constants, and can be written with Chinese characters, exactly like Chinese does. Chinese has particles too, they aren't written in simplified forms. It was just Japan's choice to use hiragana for non-noun suffixes, but they don't really need to.

Yes I'm studying Japanese, my girlfriend helps me out so I'm not in the dark about things. I also learned some basic Chinese from my Chinese stepfather; even though I wasn't interested in either language back then. I could have been fluent in Mandarin but oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 08:16 PM

919 posts, read 602,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
It could be argued that the longer sentences are actually easier to listen to, since they are less information-dense.
Good point. But

Quote:
Vietnamese tones are, from what I've heard, more of an issue than Mandarin tones. I've looked at beginner lessons in Mandarin, and the tones seem really simple compared to those in Vietnamese or something really tough like Cantonese (and Vietnamese tones aren't that bad, either). I see those as roughly on par with having to learn the genders of nouns in most European languages. It's just another thing to learn about each word.
This is where Mandarin shines. The tones of Mandarin are simple.

And because of this, MANY words in Mandarin consist of two or more characters in order to avoid ambiguities. I think this is good news for you?

For example:

cheap, reasonable:

便宜 in Mandarin
平 in Cantonese

Quote:
Missing the tone in Vietnamese, though, completely obfuscates the meaning of whatever word you're trying to say.
As I wrote before, that is not the case for Mandarin.

For example:
Monday:

Xing1qi1 Yi1 in Mainland China
Xing1qi2 Yi1 in Taiwan

*the numbers express tones

Quote:
I'll often hear sentences in which I known every single word, but I won't be able to parse the sentence at all. This gets even harder if I'm listening to music or reading poetry or something, since in those contexts, words are often omitted because native speakers can quickly eliminate ambiguity omissions cause for learners.
Would you give us some examples? I would like to try some

And it is the hardest part for a foreigner to understand poetry/lyrics, isn't it?

Quote:
I also think that a lot of the difficulty that goes along with learning Chinese (and Japanese) comes from the writing system. Aside from that, I can't see any reason why Mandarin would be harder than Vietnamese (of course, that's a really big thing to set aside).
Agreed.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
This sentence is so weird.
Because you don't know enough Mandarin used in Mainland China

How about replacing 情願 with 寧願?

Old 01-06-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Sometimes there is no longer much similarity:

み(mi) from 美 .
To my eyes, み is pretty similar with:

Old 01-06-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
They are just a vehicle. Technically, Japanese doesn't need kana to write grammatical elements and particles. They are constants, and can be written with Chinese characters, exactly like Chinese does. Chinese has particles too, they aren't written in simplified forms. It was just Japan's choice to use hiragana for non-noun suffixes, but they don't really need to.
How would you write the sentence below without hiragana?

今日は良い天気ですね。

Old 01-06-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
How would you write the sentence below without hiragana?

今日は良い天気ですね。
今日是好天気了

Damn, can't do it. That's the best I can come up with Pretty much seems like you can use kanji for particles, but not sentence enders and adjectives in the same way Chinese does (which I tried to draw inspiration from)

Old 01-07-2016, 08:11 AM

6,465 posts, read 4,066,328 times
Quote:
今日是好天気了

Damn, can't do it. That's the best I can come up with Pretty much seems like you can use kanji for particles, but not sentence enders and adjectives in the same way Chinese does (which I tried to draw inspiration from)
Yes, the Japanese realized very early on that while the Chinese character system works very well for a analytic language (in which each word, particle, etc. has a fixed, unchanging form), it is not well suited for a language like theirs which inflects for tense and mood. Hence the early invention of kana to express the aspects of Japanese that just don't exist in Chinese.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Yes, the Japanese realized very early on that while the Chinese character system works very well for a analytic language (in which each word, particle, etc. has a fixed, unchanging form), it is not well suited for a language like theirs which inflects for tense and mood. Hence the early invention of kana to express the aspects of Japanese that just don't exist in Chinese.
Pretty much how the Latin alphabet has accent marks in my language, but not English.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:27 AM

6,465 posts, read 4,066,328 times
Quote:
Pretty much how the Latin alphabet has accent marks in my language, but not English.
The Latin alphabet doesn't suit English well either, for that matter.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
The Latin alphabet doesn't suit English well either, for that matter.
Well said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or