U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of Chinese or Japanese is harder to learn for a Westerner?
Chinese is harder 23 74.19%
Japanese is harder 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 11:24 AM

674 posts, read 438,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Good point. But

This is where Mandarin shines. The tones of Mandarin are simple.

And because of this, MANY words in Mandarin consist of two or more characters in order to avoid ambiguities. I think this is good news for you?

For example:

cheap, reasonable:

便宜 in Mandarin
平 in Cantonese

As I wrote before, that is not the case for Mandarin.

For example:
Monday:

Xing1qi1 Yi1 in Mainland China
Xing1qi2 Yi1 in Taiwan

*the numbers express tones

Would you give us some examples? I would like to try some

And it is the hardest part for a foreigner to understand poetry/lyrics, isn't it?

Agreed.

One of my favorites to hear is Biển Nhớ. I remember being unable to understand it without help (by which I mean I still can't). I've even run into that problem with prose, though I suspect that's more a matter of how I'm still getting used to native language materials. For more examples, look at any song by Trịnh Công Sơn or really just about any sort of nhạc vàng.

I'm also reminded of this paper, which discusses something that trips up learners but doesn't bother native speakers. I mean, the same thing shows up in English, so it's not some novelty.

One of the examples a high school teacher I had used to use all the time was a conversation between English speakers: "Djeet?" "Naw, djou?" I have absolutely no trouble parsing that when I hear it spoken (it's weird seeing it written). Not quite what we're talking about here, but I'm reminded of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 08:29 PM

919 posts, read 602,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
One of my favorites to hear is Biển Nhớ. I remember being unable to understand it without help (by which I mean I still can't). I've even run into that problem with prose, though I suspect that's more a matter of how I'm still getting used to native language materials. For more examples, look at any song by Trịnh Công Sơn or really just about any sort of nhạc vàng.

I'm also reminded of this paper, which discusses something that trips up learners but doesn't bother native speakers. I mean, the same thing shows up in English, so it's not some novelty.

One of the examples a high school teacher I had used to use all the time was a conversation between English speakers: "Djeet?" "Naw, djou?" I have absolutely no trouble parsing that when I hear it spoken (it's weird seeing it written). Not quite what we're talking about here, but I'm reminded of it.
Very sorry but I don't know what you are talking about because I know nothing about the language...

The paper is interesting though.

The first sentence introduced in the paper is:
he return I return
And this can mean:
If he goes home, I'll go home too.
When he goes home, I'll go home too.
Every time he goes home, I go home too.
Because he is going home, I am going home too.
Because he went home, I went home too.
Since he might be going home, I am going home now etc.
This is similar with Chinese of course, and I believe I can understand the meaning when I hear the sentence. The context is the key.

And the abilities for decoding the context differ from person to person, but I came to believe East Asians are better at it than Westerners.

BTW, Pragmatics is my favorite branch of linguistics. Hope you like it too.
The sentence "You have a green light" is ambiguous. Without knowing the context, the identity of the speaker, and his or her intent, it is difficult to infer the meaning with confidence. For example:

It could mean that the space that belongs to you has green ambient lighting.
It could mean that you are driving through a green traffic signal.
It could mean that you no longer have to wait to continue driving.
It could mean that you are permitted to proceed in a non-driving context.
It could mean that your body has a green glow.
It could mean that you possess a light bulb that is tinted green.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:32 PM

6,471 posts, read 4,066,328 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Very sorry but I can't understand what you are talking about because I know nothing about the language...
It's English.

"Did you eat?"

"No, did you?"

Old 01-08-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's English.

"Did you eat?"

"No, did you?"
Oh, thanks. I thought they were conversation between English speakers and Vietnamese speakers

This kind of situations, assimilations, happen in many, if not all, languages.

itaiいたい means painful in Japanese, and when we say "Ouch!", we don't say itaiいたい but iteeいてえ.

干嘛 means "why" or "what are you doing" in Mandarin, it should be pronounced as gan ma, but gam ma is more normal in conversation.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:14 PM

I remember having a hard time recognizing しらなきゃ (shiranakya) as the same word as しらなければ (shiranakereba).

Old 01-09-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I remember having a hard time recognizing しらなきゃ (shiranakya) as the same word as しらなければ (shiranakereba).
Good observation.

For me, it's hard to distinguish "can" from "can't" in English sometimes, hehe...

can't < can not

Old 01-11-2016, 04:13 PM

Yanagisawa, yeah, I'm terrible with context in Vietnamese right now. I'm trying hard to improve my reading skills so I can pick up on things like that.

I could argue that the difference between that and the English example is that in the English example, most of the meanings are metaphors derived from the driving example, and the others are extremely rare. Then again, I only know that because I've spoken English my whole life. Incidentally, a similar statement in Vietnamese (about red lights) means something quite different. "Em có đèn đỏ." I... don't want to translate the meaning of that.

I'm a native English speaker, and I can't distinguish between can and can't when spoken except by syllable stress (even when speaking!). If it's stressed, it sounds like "can't," and if it's not stressed (stress goes on the verb after it), it sounds like "can."

Old 01-11-2016, 06:51 PM

Default ʔ

Quote:
I'm a native English speaker, and I can't distinguish between can and can't when spoken except by syllable stress (even when speaking!). If it's stressed, it sounds like "can't," and if it's not stressed (stress goes on the verb after it), it sounds like "can."
Really? In my American dialect, they sound nothing alike. In rapid speech, unstressed "can" sounds like "k'n" and ends with a clear nasal sound. Unstressed "can't" sounds like "kæʔ" (with a nasal vowel) and ends with a glottal stop.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Really? In my American dialect, they sound nothing alike. In rapid speech, unstressed "can" sounds like "k'n" and ends with a clear nasal sound. Unstressed "can't" sounds like "kæʔ" (with a nasal vowel) and ends with a glottal stop.
I'm comparing both with stress rather than both without, because I'm having trouble coming up with a sentence with an unstressed "can't." I'm sure there are plenty, but I have a mental block when I try to come up with one.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:44 PM

20 posts, read 11,045 times
I feel chinese is more tuff when compared to japanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or