Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of Chinese or Japanese is harder to learn for a Westerner?
Chinese is harder 23 74.19%
Japanese is harder 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 11:02 AM

749 posts, read 855,543 times

Advertisements

I just finished a Chinese (Mandarin) introductory class, and while there seemed to a consensus in saying that writing Chinese characters is the language most daunting difficulty, I very much think otherwise. From my experience I think that the only difficulty with learning characters is the required studying time to master it. However the same thing is true for learning word-spelling in romance languages for instance, where spelling can diverge from pronunciation quite significantly. Other than that, in my opinion, the system is very much straightforward, one can't really say it's tricky.
My main difficulty came verbal comprehension. Identifying phonemes is incredibly challenging as the sounds morphology do not resemble those in the languages I master, furthermore since they can shaped differently by different tones. In writing you can take a second to recognize a character, whereas verbally you only have a fraction of a second to recognize words.

I had been acquainted with Japanese before, and while the writing system (aside from hiragana-katakana) is very much the same, its phonemes are much easier to identify. I could transcribe fairly accurately conversations phonetically even though I didn't know most of the vocabulary employed.

Would you agree to say that the Chinese language is much harder to learn for a westerner than Japanese?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 11:55 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
No. Japanese is for the average person. Japanese just seems easy because of a lack of tones, but you need more time to reach fluency compared to Japanese. Chinese grammar is SVO like most European languages. Japanese is SOV, and that makes a very significant difference alone

Old 12-15-2015, 04:10 PM

280 posts, read 338,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
I just finished a Chinese (Mandarin) introductory class, and while there seemed to a consensus in saying that writing Chinese characters is the language most daunting difficulty, I very much think otherwise. From my experience I think that the only difficulty with learning characters is the required studying time to master it. However the same thing is true for learning word-spelling in romance languages for instance, where spelling can diverge from pronunciation quite significantly. Other than that, in my opinion, the system is very much straightforward, one can't really say it's tricky.
My main difficulty came verbal comprehension. Identifying phonemes is incredibly challenging as the sounds morphology do not resemble those in the languages I master, furthermore since they can shaped differently by different tones. In writing you can take a second to recognize a character, whereas verbally you only have a fraction of a second to recognize words.

I had been acquainted with Japanese before, and while the writing system (aside from hiragana-katakana) is very much the same, its phonemes are much easier to identify. I could transcribe fairly accurately conversations phonetically even though I didn't know most of the vocabulary employed.

Would you agree to say that the Chinese language is much harder to learn for a westerner than Japanese?
I found an excellent blog by an American-Korean here that compares Japanese vs Chinese:

Which is harder? Japanese or Chinese? | Tae Kim's Blog

Old 12-15-2015, 05:26 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Wow how convincing it is to hear this from a beginner.

Btw the 2nd and the 3rd tone are not the same.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:38 PM

399 posts, read 719,284 times
I think speaking Chinese is more difficult because of the tones. Japanese is no walk in the park either, but not having tones makes it a little easier, though some Japanese words tend to be long. Chinese words aren't very long. Than again Chinese you will realize is kind of simplistic while Japanese is complicated with it's many words types and different ways of saying things. hmm.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:50 PM

To do a quick summary in general:

Chinese difficulty - Tones and Writing.
Japanese difficulty - Grammar, Honorifics, SOV Order (as opposed to Chinese which is mainly SVO - similar English).

In some ways though, Mandarin can be a bit like English, easy to start off with once you accomplish tones but if you get to the advanced level, things get real crazy - stuff like Classical Chinese and WenyanWen.

I have heard that to become really fluent (native level) in Japanese is very difficult, because the pitch accent must be right. Since Mandarin is a relatively new language and only widely taught since the 1950s on a mass scale in China, foreigners have it somewhat easier since the Chinese will accept different accents.

I don't know if its the power and popularity of Mandarin lately but I've seen more foreigners perfecting Mandarin than Japanese or Korean for that matter.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:59 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I've studied Japanese extensively and Chinese a little bit. Here's my take on it: Japanese starts off hard and gets easier, Chinese starts off easy and gets harder.

Why?

1. Japanese syntax (SOV order) is more or less set in stone. Modifiers ALWAYS precede what they modify, the main verb ALWAYS comes at the end of a sentence. Chinese has a SVO order, like English, which seems simple except when it isn't. Sure, you start off with easy sentences like "flower red" (the flower is red) or "dog run" (the dog runs), but before you know it you are facing conundrums like "arrive [complete] exterior side come arrive one stem tree bottom underside" (He entered the wood and stood beneath a tree).

2. Japanese phonology is much simpler than Chinese, and it's not just the tones. In Chinese you have an aspirated/unaspirated distinction which does not exist in English, as well as a retroflex/palatal distinction. And then, yes, there are the tones which are by no means easy to memorize...and then you have to figure out which syllables actually DROP or CHANGE their tones when they are combined into words/sentences. There are a few words in Japanese which are distinguished by tones (ha'na "nose," hana' "flower"), but they are few and far between. For the most part putting the wrong tone on a word makes no difference in Japanese other than making you sound like a foreigner. This is not the case in Chinese.

3. You can learn hiragana in a day or two and write anything in Japanese in it while you gradually learn kanji. You will not seem overly educated, but it is acceptable. You will also be able to read a lot of what is around you, immediately. In Chinese, writing everything in Pinyin is really not acceptable and it does not help at all in reading. You really have no choice but to learn a whole lot of characters, right away.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:36 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,263 times
Chinese is a context-heavy language. Often times, syntax can be simplified if the context already provides enough information for you to put pieces together. Other languages usually require more formal syntax even in that condition.

However, after you get used to it, you will see the way Chinese is constructed really makes sense and conversation can be very efficient that way.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Chinese is a context-heavy language. Often times, syntax can be simplified if the context already provides enough information for you to put pieces together. Other languages usually require more formal syntax even in that condition.

However, after you get used to it, you will see the way Chinese is constructed really makes sense and conversation can be very efficient that way.
I must admit of all things I dislike about the Chinese language, it's efficiency is one part which I like!

Old 12-17-2015, 10:23 AM

749 posts, read 855,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I've studied Japanese extensively and Chinese a little bit. Here's my take on it: Japanese starts off hard and gets easier, Chinese starts off easy and gets harder.

Why?

1. Japanese syntax (SOV order) is more or less set in stone. Modifiers ALWAYS precede what they modify, the main verb ALWAYS comes at the end of a sentence. Chinese has a SVO order, like English, which seems simple except when it isn't. Sure, you start off with easy sentences like "flower red" (the flower is red) or "dog run" (the dog runs), but before you know it you are facing conundrums like "arrive [complete] exterior side come arrive one stem tree bottom underside" (He entered the wood and stood beneath a tree).

2. Japanese phonology is much simpler than Chinese, and it's not just the tones. In Chinese you have an aspirated/unaspirated distinction which does not exist in English, as well as a retroflex/palatal distinction. And then, yes, there are the tones which are by no means easy to memorize...and then you have to figure out which syllables actually DROP or CHANGE their tones when they are combined into words/sentences. There are a few words in Japanese which are distinguished by tones (ha'na "nose," hana' "flower"), but they are few and far between. For the most part putting the wrong tone on a word makes no difference in Japanese other than making you sound like a foreigner. This is not the case in Chinese.

3. You can learn hiragana in a day or two and write anything in Japanese in it while you gradually learn kanji. You will not seem overly educated, but it is acceptable. You will also be able to read a lot of what is around you, immediately. In Chinese, writing everything in Pinyin is really not acceptable and it does not help at all in reading. You really have no choice but to learn a whole lot of characters, right away.

Good points. Certainly difficulty can be somehow a subjective matter, but I am coming from someone who is familiar with romance languages only (and that's already a lot), saying the Chinese phonology is challenging is an understatement. As an example, at the beginning of the semester our class was composed of mostly Asian-American and a handful of non-Asians. By the mid-term, the non-Asian contingent had been decimated down to less than half of its original size. Chinese classes have typically a high drop-out rate due to its difficulty, but this is an indication of a trend.
I know that Mandarin is probably a better investment professionally wise, and also due to the high number of Chinese speakers where I live, I nonetheless can't help feeling discourage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia