U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2018, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Sydney
113 posts, read 119,314 times
Reputation: 200

Advertisements

U wot m8? I've been to Taiwan twice, and I've also been to South East Asia numerous times. Sure, Taiwan is a bit rough around the edges in parts, but it's NOTHING like South East Asia in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2018, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonChigurh85 View Post
U wot m8? I've been to Taiwan twice, and I've also been to South East Asia numerous times. Sure, Taiwan is a bit rough around the edges in parts, but it's NOTHING like South East Asia in my opinion.
Omg I'm not guessing the coin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 12:26 PM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,609,353 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
And the fine for demolishing a building before it can be designated for historic preservation is peanuts.

Bottom line is there’s a lack of civic-mindedness in Chinese culture, especially if it costs money, that leads to drab public spaces and life threatening near anarchy in traffic.
Totally BS.
Go to any densely populated developing country (yes I have been to some), you will see China is much better than most of them in those aspects.
The only problem is poverty (and a culture associated with it). China will change fast.

It is simply unfair to compare contemporary China to America, Europe, Japan, Singapore... Wait and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 12:48 PM
 
1,508 posts, read 525,633 times
Reputation: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
That’s news to me. Other than some temples, the odd Japanese-era government building or the occasional abandoned looking “ghost” house nestled between high rises Taipei has done a notoriously bad job of preserving its architectural history.
By pre-war buildings I meant any building built before WW2. I didn't say these buildings are in any way charming or historic. They're concrete blocks all the same. Of course something built way back then is not going to be up to snuff like postwar construction is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 12:54 PM
 
1,508 posts, read 525,633 times
Reputation: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
And the fine for demolishing a building before it can be designated for historic preservation is peanuts.

Bottom line is there’s a lack of civic-mindedness in Chinese culture, especially if it costs money, that leads to drab public spaces and life threatening near anarchy in traffic.
Yeah, China and Taiwan tear down historic buildings left and right. But so did many communist Eastern bloc countries, especially Russia. It's not just China--most other developing countries also prize economic progress over historical preservation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Arcadia, CA
131 posts, read 51,750 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Maybe, but they still had a limited following at best. The fanbase wasn't bad for a Chinese tv show, but it wasn't anything substantial either.
To be honest I maybe biased here because of my experience with Taiwanese dramas. After watching shows like Fiery Thunderbolt, I couldn't help but came to the impression that Chinese dramas have a good following in Taiwan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It's easy to buy publicities.
I would advise against discounting it so easily. Given increased interracial exchanges in Los Angeles, there is a real possibility for some non-Asian Americans to develop real interest in Chinese cultural products due to influence from friends, colleagues, or spouses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
"Haven't aged well" is probably a better expression. People back then might have liked those, but they are just really bad.
While many of those shows do look cheesy by today's standards, in my opinion their contents are still better than modern Taiwanese dramas like In The Family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The internet is so open that people only follow things that are trendy on social media. If internet helps make indies blossom, we wouldn't have only superhero movies to watch in theatres.
The exposure levels are certainly different but the Internet does give some foreign films more spotlight than they would have before the Internet. For example before the Internet Indian films in America were mostly limited to Indian community, but the Internet give people outside the community a convenient way to learn about them. Today when a news article about an Indian film is published, interested people only need to google to find information on the film, but in the past they had to spend more efforts to obtain the same information if they had not lost interest in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I took Australia's example because its population size is similar to Taiwan's, and you've proved my point by naming two. Even with the most advantageous language (English) and enormous wealth, Australia still has very little cultural export beyond Mad Max. Why? Because the internal market is tiny, the box office and tv commercial revenue would be too small to cover the production budget. The risk of failure is too great. Same goes for Canada. To say less about even smaller countries like the Netherlands.

They do export a lot of their artistic talent to Hollywood though.
I agree movie and TV production is a risky business but I still believe Taiwan's potential isn't fully developed. Also there are other cultural products Taiwan could still pursue. Food for example is considered part of art and culture, and Taiwan fusion culture is a fertile ground to develop a unique culinary culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 12:10 AM
 
6,066 posts, read 10,849,911 times
Reputation: 3063
Quite very successful at every imaginable specific vital principle. Not ever failing at offering tourists or native citizens those special attributes. Replicating neighbors of Japan, or South Korea? Just in some versions of identity. Beauty, and prosperity of fortunes in what people see is all over the calmly stable rebellious enterprise away from mainland China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 12:29 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverJC View Post
To be honest I maybe biased here because of my experience with Taiwanese dramas. After watching shows like Fiery Thunderbolt, I couldn't help but came to the impression that Chinese dramas have a good following in Taiwan.
... that's quite a bad comparison. Fiery Thunderbolt is daytime soap. That's like saying you don't like American shows after your experience with Days of Our Lives.

That said, most Taiwanese shows are indeed really bad, but so are most Chinese shows. The good ones are few and far between, though.


Quote:
While many of those shows do look cheesy by today's standards, in my opinion their contents are still better than modern Taiwanese dramas like In The Family.
Again, that's daytime soap.

Quote:
The exposure levels are certainly different but the Internet does give some foreign films more spotlight than they would have before the Internet. For example before the Internet Indian films in America were mostly limited to Indian community, but the Internet give people outside the community a convenient way to learn about them. Today when a news article about an Indian film is published, interested people only need to google to find information on the film, but in the past they had to spend more efforts to obtain the same information if they had not lost interest in the process.
They still aren't likely to gain box office success. They could have some indie fans, sure.

Quote:
I agree movie and TV production is a risky business but I still believe Taiwan's potential isn't fully developed. Also there are other cultural products Taiwan could still pursue. Food for example is considered part of art and culture, and Taiwan fusion culture is a fertile ground to develop a unique culinary culture.
Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 03:04 AM
 
144 posts, read 93,425 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Totally BS.
Go to any densely populated developing country (yes I have been to some), you will see China is much better than most of them in those aspects.
The only problem is poverty (and a culture associated with it). China will change fast.

It is simply unfair to compare contemporary China to America, Europe, Japan, Singapore... Wait and see.
Chinese culture does readily shell out big bucks for grandiose displays of national pride like Taipei 101 but that's not civic minded beautification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 08:04 AM
 
40 posts, read 10,679 times
Reputation: 58
The life in Taiwan actually is not bad, referring to the environment and happiness. People in Taiwan speak Mandarin, however, they are different with mainland Chinese! I would say the culture and people's quality in Taiwan is more close to Japan's style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top