Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 12:33 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That photo looks like China had done a rural village improvement project. The buildings are new, not old farmers' homes. I wonder if that's one of the Tibetan areas in Sichuan. They had a project of tearing down traditional Tibetan architecture, and replacing it with "modern" architecture.
This one is not from Tibetan region but Bazhong in Northeast Sichuan.

Some old buildings in China do not really meet the safety code and must be replaced, especially in places where earthquakes are common. Nowadays nobody really wants to destroy history on purpose. The new buildings try to follow traditional styles too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverJC View Post
Which reminds me of "face projects" in China.
This is where villagers actually live, and there are thousands of such projects. Face or not, it is great.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:11 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
What an idiotic statement. How is Taipei 101 more of a grandiose display of national pride than other landmarks or skyscrapers in the world?
Don't ask me. Ask whomever made such an idiotic statement.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:40 PM

145 posts, read 104,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
This is where villagers actually live, and there are thousands of such projects. Face or not, it is great.
My concern is quality.

Based on what I have read, many people in charge of construction tried to cut corners so they could line their own pockets or impress their superiors, and the results are shabby buildings.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:10 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
Taiwan's cost of living is high, and thus per capita GDP is artificial to a large extent. Also, places without trade sanctions imposed are further inflated by the US dollar evaluation of per capita GDP. In this case, Taiwan looks poorer because it is. Ukraine's GDP is about 1/20th of Taiwan's, but it's artificially undervalued.
Yeah, but Japan has a lower GDP per capita than Taiwan and Japan ain't any cheaper either.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:42 PM

145 posts, read 104,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Yeah, but Japan has a lower GDP per capita than Taiwan and Japan ain't any cheaper either.
Many Taiwanese tourists' experience in Japan is that Japan is cheaper than Taiwan, and a common sentiment from Taiwanese I often read online is that taking a vacation in Japan is cheaper than in Taiwan.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
My concern is quality.

Based on what I have read, many people in charge of construction tried to cut corners so they could line their own pockets or impress their superiors, and the results are shabby buildings.
It's improved in recent years, especially in "sensitive" areas drawing a lot of attention (minority groups, poor farmers and so on).
China also requires every village to be connected by roads, and expects every village to be connected by internet soon. (Since 2011, all Chinese villages have had telephones.) These projects have some elements of "face" but also benefit the farmers. Foreign media merely report such achievements.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:18 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Many Taiwanese tourists' experience in Japan is that Japan is cheaper than Taiwan, and a common sentiment from Taiwanese I often read online is that taking a vacation in Japan is cheaper than in Taiwan.
I'm not sure how costs compare in Taiwan, but coming from the pricey SF Bay Area, I've found that the travel costs in Japan are actually a lot more reasonable than one might think - for food, lodging and transport.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:23 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,175 times
I live in both countries. Taiwan has lower wages and similar to higher costs than Japan where chronic deflation has kept prices moderate. Taiwan is a better place to be a business owner though and Japan is a better place by far to be an employee, particularly because of its growing labor shortage. The quality of life in Japan is better than in the US and better by far than Taiwan’s, where pollution, congestion and economic decline have led it to being called the ghost island by young people who see little hope in their future there.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:51 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Some places are very cheap for tourists but expensive for residents. Germany and Austria are very reasonable for vacation but very expensive for residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia