Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 07:46 PM

749 posts, read 855,771 times

Advertisements

I think this idea's feasibility isn't the greatest, I will probably have let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 09:06 PM

28 posts, read 32,891 times
East asia is not really for people without wealth. Here the culture is very materialistic and tend to look down on poor or "not successful" people. They love you when you have money, they don't want you when you are broke.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalage3 View Post
East asia is not really for people without wealth. Here the culture is very materialistic and tend to look down on poor or "not successful" people. They love you when you have money, they don't want you when you are broke.
I have heard (Asian) people denouncing how East Asian countries have grown into shallow, obnoxious consumerist societies. But hey the same is true to a greater or lesser degree all over the world. Oh Well, I will just visit as a tourist before returning to Portugal.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm2013 View Post
It will not be easy for you to live in East Asia unless you are wealthy (or highly educated, or beautiful, or handsome) Caucasian.
I am not sure how much wealth is implied here, but I definitely meet all the other requirements! Hahaha

Old 12-30-2015, 03:07 AM

653 posts, read 743,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
I am not sure how much wealth is implied here, but I definitely meet all the other requirements! Hahaha
East Asia includes a lot of different countries; maybe you want to consider narrowing down certain countries first?

Just a note of caution, i would highly recommend that you build up a nest egg of savings first to keep at your home country or somewhere safe, before making the jump to asia.

May I ask what field of expertise exactly in the medical line you are in? I am somewhat familiar with East Asia's healthcare scene.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
East Asia includes a lot of different countries; maybe you want to consider narrowing down certain countries first?

Just a note of caution, i would highly recommend that you build up a nest egg of savings first to keep at your home country or somewhere safe, before making the jump to asia.

May I ask what field of expertise exactly in the medical line you are in? I am somewhat familiar with East Asia's healthcare scene.
Like I had mentioned in the initial post I would mostly interested in China, Japan, South Korea, Macau, Hong Kong, Taiwan. Job wise I work as an oncology nurse practitioner, not sure if you are familiar with that profession.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:48 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Like I had mentioned in the initial post I would mostly interested in China, Japan, South Korea, Macau, Hong Kong, Taiwan. Job wise I work as an oncology nurse practitioner, not sure if you are familiar with that profession.
I am. You can definitely cross Japan off your list beyond a reasonable doubt. Literally 90% chance you will fail the license exam on grounds of language proficiency. Stick to Singapore or another country where English is widely used, or since you're Portuguese, Macau. My Chinese stepfather was a licensed GP in China, couldn't pass the licensing exam in the US due to language proficiency. Had to give up the medical profession if he wanted to stay here, and he did. As a person in the nursing field, you will also have to compete with Filipino applicants in Asia, and there are a lot of them

Old 12-31-2015, 09:50 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
I have heard (Asian) people denouncing how East Asian countries have grown into shallow, obnoxious consumerist societies. But hey the same is true to a greater or lesser degree all over the world. Oh Well, I will just visit as a tourist before returning to Portugal.
Asia takes it to another level. It's kind of shocking. And disgusting.

Just save some money and take a month vacation. Stay away from the materialistic city centers.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:26 PM

653 posts, read 743,333 times
Quote:
Off the top of my head, I would recommend approaching the private hospitals in either Hong Kong or Singapore, specially private hospitals that cater to high-end medical tourism.

China, Japan and South Korea could be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia