U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:05 AM

919 posts, read 603,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Actually many things are cheaper in HK, partially due to no sales tax and low import duties.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In Hong Kong there is no internet censorship like there is in Mainland China.
There is no internet censorship in China, says China’s top censor

Old 01-05-2016, 06:30 PM

653 posts, read 540,412 times
Just a note, I think repatriating funds from China is a lot harder than to do so in Hong Kong.

I have heard (but not sure) that if you run your business in Hong Kong, so long you have paid your income and corporate taxes, you can repatriate your profits via wire transfer from Hong Kong back to your own country. There are no currency controls.

I think in china, there is a limit of how much money one can bring back to your own country; hence all kinds of scheme.

Does anybody have any experience in this?

Old 01-06-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Just a note, I think repatriating funds from China is a lot harder than to do so in Hong Kong.

I have heard (but not sure) that if you run your business in Hong Kong, so long you have paid your income and corporate taxes, you can repatriate your profits via wire transfer from Hong Kong back to your own country. There are no currency controls.

I think in china, there is a limit of how much money one can bring back to your own country; hence all kinds of scheme.

For a Chinese citizen US$ 50,000/year is the limit for wire transferring to another country.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:16 PM

28 posts, read 22,998 times
Yes, but there are undergound ways to transfer money into and out of China, easily done in an hour but with different exchange rates from the official rates in China.

You don't need to pay taxes to transfer or bring money internationally in HK, everyone in HK, both residents and visitors can transfer money to another place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post

Old 01-06-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalage3 View Post
Yes, but there are undergound ways to transfer money into and out of China, easily done in an hour but with different exchange rates from the official rates in China.
Good for money laundering.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
Just got back from a wonderful 3 day weekend in Hong Kong - nice change from the cold polluted airs of northern China. I'm wondering how living in HK compares to a place like Shenzhen or other nearby mainland Chinese cities. I know HK is way more expensive in terms of housing costs but how do other tangibles such as food costs, expat community, friendliness of locals, taxes compare. I also one which would be better in terms of lifestyle for ex-pat teachers.
I'm in Macau.

Shenzhen is soul-less to me. Just tons of people obsessed with consumerism. I don't think the city is designed well either. I wouldn't personally want to live there.

Hong Kong has tons of public spaces, the beauty of parks, and beaches, and hiking trails, and mountains. It's just much older, more settled, more well-designed, more beautiful to look at and experience.

Expat community...all kinds in Hong Kong, but you'll definitely see a lot of bankers and professionals with well-paying jobs. Shenzhen, I'd imagine it would be more English Teachers and Factory Owners among the expat community, most likely.

Better lifestyle, well, for me, Hong Kong is TOPS. I wouldn't even consider living in Mainland China. But, if a person is an English Teacher in China; one of the big plusses of Shenzhen is that you get to live next to a world class city like Hong Kong. I think that alone would make it worth it.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
A bottle of Coke in HK costs $7 HKD at a 7-11; 3.5 RMB for a bigger bottle in a mainland 7-11.
A bowl of crappy, greasy street noodles will cost about $15-20 HKD; sub-5 RMB in the mainland.
A single plate in a midlevel restaurant in Hong Kong will cost you about $80 HKD; a plate in a midlevel mainland restaurant will set you back about 20-30 yuan.

Add it all up, and the amount you'll make in HK goes a lot less far than it does in China.
For the OP, about $8 HKD equals $1 USD. So, a coke is just under $1, and the greasy street noodles coming in at around 2.50 USD in Hong Kong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
One of the big differences between HK and China that an expat will notice is access and exposure to foreign media and services. Google, facebook, youtube, etc are all blocked in China. Cnn, Wikipedia, the NY Times are often blocked as well. Foreign magazines and movies and books can also face hurdles getting in to the country. Of course with a little searching and a good vpn you might be able to gain access to these resources, but in HK you have easy, legal access to all of these things.
Yep, it's another thing I don't like visiting mainland China from here in Macau/HK.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I can tell you HK actually has a reputation for being rude and unfriendly, among the locals and visitors. I keep hearing this bad reputation for the past 60 years, as my grandparents told me the same thing, we are considered generally rude and unfriendly since from the 1960s.
I think that is true, but I'd say that extends throughout ALL of the Chinese-speaking world. I don't find Chinese in the Mainland to be friendly either. People just don't do friendly things for others. My experience with Mainlanders in Macau, is not only are they not friendly; but they can be downright selfishly aggressive.

I find people from Hong Kong/Macau VERY TONED DOWN and very reasonable in comparison to the Mainland types visiting.

But, to your initial claim that HK has a reputation for being rude and unfriendly. I'd say, 'yeah', but Mainland China is even worse. I would also like to say that I am very comfortable with people in HK. They speak English well (in my comparative living abroad in Asia experiences), they are very practical-minded, and efficient.

Quote:
The pollution of HK or Peral River Delta is really nothing compared with the polluted air of Northern China. We Hongkongers do not really understand why many foreigners keep saying our region is polluted. I don't think pollution here is worse than that in London, Paris, Tokyo or NYC.
Having personally lived in both Japan and New York City; they are much less polluted there than anywhere in CHina, including HK. Here in Macau, I certainly do see some bad pollution days, that really depress me.

Having said that, they are NOTHING like up Beijing and Shanghai and such. That is just shocking terribly air quality up there. Way way way better down here in South China...but still.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:13 AM

317 posts, read 237,098 times
Do you find any differences in people's attitudes between say Northern China (Tianjin/Beijing) and a place like Shanghai or Suzhou? I find them as country bumpkins here - along with the pollution it make it hard to live. Fortunately only 6 more months here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or