U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2016, 12:28 PM
 
4,665 posts, read 2,650,093 times
Reputation: 3342

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Do not always trust Wikipedia or some articles written by activists. They tend to pick one or two events and generalize it. Those selected truths give you a wrong picture.
I can tell you that homosexuality was almost never a topic in my family, for example. People were simply not interested in it in old days.

In Qing dynasty, few if any men were punished for having sex with men. In fact, a lot of rich men like to play with Peking opera actors (all men at that time), and the most famous classic novel in China "dream of the red chamber" describes homosexuality many times.

I never heard any gay was put in reeducation camps either. If it happened, most likely it was because they were caught in public places. All "criminals" were sent to the camps at that time.
It's a Chinese website based in Beijing, hardly anti-China propaganda...
I think you are looking too highly on your government during the cultural revolution. I'm not anti-China amd every country has had its problems. The West killed homosexuals for almost 2 thousand years, and now it's legal for them to marry. It's not unrealistic to think gay marriage will be legal within a couple decades in China.

Your 2nd paragraph is exactly why I think China will quickly change on homosexuality. China has a strong family unit and tradition of that. But China is not socially conservative compared to how the West used to be. China historically has been accepting (or tolerant if you want) of homosexuality and of other things like race and religion. China has always been a fairly open country, and that didn't change until very recently.

I think you like arguing because you're not really disagreeing with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2016, 01:33 PM
 
1,424 posts, read 737,938 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
It's a Chinese website based in Beijing, hardly anti-China propaganda...
I think you are looking too highly on your government during the cultural revolution. I'm not anti-China amd every country has had its problems. The West killed homosexuals for almost 2 thousand years, and now it's legal for them to marry. It's not unrealistic to think gay marriage will be legal within a couple decades in China.

Your 2nd paragraph is exactly why I think China will quickly change on homosexuality. China has a strong family unit and tradition of that. But China is not socially conservative compared to how the West used to be. China historically has been accepting (or tolerant if you want) of homosexuality and of other things like race and religion. China has always been a fairly open country, and that didn't change until very recently.

I think you like arguing because you're not really disagreeing with me.
My point is, you based your argument on some random things you read, which gives you a wrong picture.
Sometimes grabbing just a piece of truth is misleading. Heard of "blind men and an elephant"?

Cultural revolution has nothing to do with homosexuality at all. If some gay people were persecuted occasionally at that time, it was irrelevant. Even if there were no cultural revolution, some gay people would still have been persecuted. However, in any case, there is no evidence to show that gays were persecuted en masse to begin with.

I was arguing because I felt what you described is not accurate. And it seems you cannot understand it because of your experience. Never mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,781 posts, read 5,139,654 times
Reputation: 4582
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I have never heard of any clinics like that. They must be underground if there are some.
So the bottom line is such clinics are far from common.
Well I read this on a news site and the interviewee said that there are a lot of those in 3rd and 4th tier cities in China. He did say that they are largely underground, pretending to be like a normal clinic or something, but apparently it's quite a business. The clinics would "treat" the "patients", aka gay men, by eletrification or hypnosis.

I don't think they are common either, but considering how big China is a few of those is like a mega ton. Apparently Channel 4 from Britain has done a documentary thingy about this as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2016, 04:29 AM
 
4,710 posts, read 3,628,426 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well I read this on a news site and the interviewee said that there are a lot of those in 3rd and 4th tier cities in China. He did say that they are largely underground, pretending to be like a normal clinic or something, but apparently it's quite a business. The clinics would "treat" the "patients", aka gay men, by eletrification or hypnosis.

I don't think they are common either, but considering how big China is a few of those is like a mega ton. Apparently Channel 4 from Britain has done a documentary thingy about this as well.
Of course there are clinics like that in China. There are plenty of these hack clinics in the US, and America is light years ahead of China on gay rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2016, 08:32 PM
 
Location: China
13 posts, read 7,530 times
Reputation: 30
omg
I never heard anything like this about Zhou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2016, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,537 posts, read 3,117,106 times
Reputation: 3373
never trust a communist...especially a closeted one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2016, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,781 posts, read 5,139,654 times
Reputation: 4582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
never trust a communist...especially a closeted one.
I don't think anyone would trust communists, maybe except for some really dumb Chinese ppl and pennyone, but this is just pure homophobia and bigotry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2016, 04:11 PM
 
4,710 posts, read 3,628,426 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I don't think anyone would trust communists, maybe except for some really dumb Chinese ppl and pennyone, but this is just pure homophobia and bigotry.
Hay did you say you live on taiwan? Hopefully Tsai will do something even "dumber" and renounce the 92 consensus. Then you'll be swimming for asylum as the missiles wipe out your little island. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2016, 01:34 AM
 
919 posts, read 604,853 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I don't think anyone would trust communists, maybe except for some really dumb Chinese ppl and pennyone, but this is just pure homophobia and bigotry.
Shhhhhh... That's a secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2016, 03:04 AM
 
4,710 posts, read 3,628,426 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Shhhhhh... That's a secret.
What's a secret? Your ignorance? That's no secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top