U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 09:00 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,205,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Very few Chinese women will marry a man with lower level of education.
If a woman has a graduate degree, she expects the same for her husband.

In America, degree is far less important. A PhD woman marrying a man without a college degree is not something too odd.
It is odd, because it doesn't happen often here. Money is the universal language of love. If you have LOTS of it like 马云, then your looks or education doesn't matter. That is a fact. A woman will marry a billionaire without a college degree over someone with a college degree and only making $150k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 10:07 AM

1,424 posts, read 737,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It is odd, because it doesn't happen often here. Money is the universal language of love. If you have LOTS of it like 马云, then your looks or education doesn't matter. That is a fact. A woman will marry a billionaire without a college degree over someone with a college degree and only making $150k
Most billionaires are too old for marriage (for the first time) anyway. I was talking about ordinary people.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:22 AM

2,724 posts, read 915,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNguyen View Post
Vietnamese women are always the bestttttttttttttttt !
The best at what? Making Pho? Shopping? Selling real estate? Cleaning?

Old 01-07-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsEqiVbqVeU

Old 01-07-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
The best at what? Making Pho? Shopping? Selling real estate? Cleaning?
I evaluate women on an individual basis instead of stereotypes. Crazy me huh? I tend to find that chasing after women based on stereotypes leads to unhappy marriages, and spiderwebs inside bank accounts. But I'm assuming Ken is Vietnamese, so of course Vietnamese women would be the most compatible for him

Old 01-07-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I evaluate women on an individual basis instead of stereotypes. Crazy me huh? I tend to find that chasing after women based on stereotypes leads to unhappy marriages, and spiderwebs inside bank accounts. But I'm assuming Ken is Vietnamese, so of course Vietnamese women would be the most compatible for him

I see. Ok, the best.....for him.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:25 PM

9,783 posts, read 13,374,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
According to "western standards", East Asian women (including Vietnamese) are all control freaks.
They will push their husband to be as "successful" as possible, and do the same to their children.

On the other hand, many western men who are interested in Asian women do not really belong to the "successful-oriented" category. Among such couples, often times the wife outsmarts the husband, and things can get ugly if the husband cannot handle that.
If my relationship with my wife, and those of most other men I know here who are married to Chinese women, are any indicator, it's not at all a matter of the wife "outsmarting" the husband or him not being "successful-oriented," whatever that means. Is this one of these crazy, butthurt "they only go for the ugly ones" generalizations that people lob to make themselves feel better in light of intercultural relationships they feel unable to accept?

Things get ugly when the wife, who has grown up in a homogeneous, monocultural society suddenly finds herself facing unfamiliar behaviors or methodologies and can't accept that her husband is "different." East Asian societies tend to have an attitude that there is one correct way to do things, and that every other way is wrong. A few of us have comiserated over being told we are "stupid," "idiots," or "low class" for doing stuff like counting money with two hands instead of one, prefering cold beverages, cutting vegetables or meat a certain way, etc. None of us really mind our wives' different ways of doing things, but at some point, most of us have eaten it and had to deal witha grown woman throwing a little girl-style temper tantrum for doing things in a totally sensible fashion that differs from"the right way to do it."

Quote:
Very few Chinese women will marry a man with lower level of education.
If a woman has a graduate degree, she expects the same for her husband.

In America, degree is far less important. A PhD woman marrying a man without a college degree is not something too odd.
Hm, I don't know about that. I would say that most women in the US with a degree would expect their man to have at least the same, if not higher. A woman with a PhD marrying a man with no college degree is quite rare... People with PhD's tend to be very academically inclined and may have a harder time relating to or dealing with someone who isn't interested in it.

Conversely, people in China really only care about money and the stability and prestige it brings. Nearly everyone in China with money is a nouveau riche, and modern Chinese culture is trying to figure out how to deal with issues of class and wealth.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:04 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times
Quote:
You're not gonna find a hot model (by Asian standards) being attracted to a nerdy looking person, all things being equal otherwise. People of similar levels of attractiveness date each other. It's universal, unless the "reacher" has $$$$. One of my past Chinese friends would be considered a beefcake even in the West, and his wife is extremely good looking.
You actually do see it in Asia. Asian women in Asia SEE things differently than Asian-American or American women in the U.S.

Generally, I find that most 'hot' women in the U.S., are very interested in men with muscles, etc.

In Asia, muscles aren't really a trait they are looking for, or thinking much about. Additionally, a 'hot' Asian woman in Asia, may not be perceived as 'hot' at all in Asia - maybe she isn't pale white enough to be considered attractive enough in Asia, whereas among Americans, a pale person isn't something they'd even think about as connected to 'hot'.

In short, the factors vary too much; and what is considered 'hot' varies considerably in different cultures. So, it's quite commonplace that a western might see what they consider a geeky weird white guy with a 'hot' Asian girl....but in Asia, they might see it the opposite. Some wacko Asian girl just snagged an exotic-looking white guy, etc.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You actually do see it in Asia. Asian women in Asia SEE things differently than Asian-American or American women in the U.S.

Generally, I find that most 'hot' women in the U.S., are very interested in men with muscles, etc.

In Asia, muscles aren't really a trait they are looking for, or thinking much about. Additionally, a 'hot' Asian woman in Asia, may not be perceived as 'hot' at all in Asia - maybe she isn't pale white enough to be considered attractive enough in Asia, whereas among Americans, a pale person isn't something they'd even think about as connected to 'hot'.

In short, the factors vary too much; and what is considered 'hot' varies considerably in different cultures. So, it's quite commonplace that a western might see what they consider a geeky weird white guy with a 'hot' Asian girl....but in Asia, they might see it the opposite. Some wacko Asian girl just snagged an exotic-looking white guy, etc.
Not to be mean or anything, but I'm guessing you missed the part where I said in my post where I said hot by Asian standards?

Old 01-11-2016, 03:33 AM

6,777 posts, read 5,136,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Really? Taiwanese women (and gay men as well of course) are very into muscles. Of course there are people who find muscles to be intimidating or 'disgusting' but generally speaking, tall, muscular guys are very marketable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or