Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 02:17 PM

7,646 posts, read 6,411,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
I can't disagree entirely. But I'm talking more in terms of the sheer number of overseas Chinese living in various countries all around the world. Statistically speaking it's much more probable to hear two or more Asians converse in Cantonese or Mandarin than to hear any of the other E.Asian languages say in remote places of Europe or Africa. But the Chinese diaspora is huge. The only other Asian group that rivals the Chinese is the Indians.

That's more my point.

So that brings me back to my question, given the more exposure of the Chinese languages (relatively), why do people not perceive as positively?

red flag, authoratarian government, occupation of tibet, language is tonal, characters are not roman, and hong kong cinema has been dead since 1995. Can't really use wushu, wing chun in the UFC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 03:13 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,336,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
I can't disagree entirely. But I'm talking more in terms of the sheer number of overseas Chinese living in various countries all around the world. Statistically speaking it's much more probable to hear two or more Asians converse in Cantonese or Mandarin than to hear any of the other E.Asian languages say in remote places of Europe or Africa. But the Chinese diaspora is huge. The only other Asian group that rivals the Chinese is the Indians.
They aren't even particularly popular in those countries.

Only cultural output gives a language the pretty reputation, diaspora doesn't. There's a reason why French and Italian are widely regarded as the fashionable and sexy languages and German is often tied to the Hitler rant from Der Untergang even though there are way more German descendants in America. Same goes for Japanese and Chinese languages. Chinese movies, music, and tv shows have been and will continue to be absolute crap (in the foreseeable future anyway). It's just the way things are.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:07 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,440,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
This reminds me of a joke told to me by a friend who loved studying German when we were both teenagers. It concerns a discussion between native speakers of different languages on this topic, using the English word "butterfly" as an example. The Spaniard suggests that "mariposa" is most beautiful. The French person, papillon. The Chinese suggests húdié. The Japanese, batafurai. Finally, the German says in frustration, "und vas is wrong mit Schmetterling?"
This used to be my fav language joke, but once I told it to someone who had studied German and, boy, was he offended. Clearly he didn’t get it. LOL🦋

Old 07-15-2018, 04:08 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,440,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
This reminds me of a joke told to me by a friend who loved studying German when we were both teenagers. It concerns a discussion between native speakers of different languages on this topic, using the English word "butterfly" as an example. The Spaniard suggests that "mariposa" is most beautiful. The French person, papillon. The Chinese suggests húdié. The Japanese, batafurai. Finally, the German says in frustration, "und vas is wrong mit Schmetterling?"
Also, correct me if wrong, I was told Schmetterling meant ‘smash a bug’.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:45 PM

116 posts, read 189,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I think Korean is beautiful sounding in song. I used to be very biased toward Spanish as the most beautiful language period. Now not so much ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CbNmRJCkwQs
The Korean sounds a bit like Spanish here, interesting enough!

Old 07-19-2018, 07:19 PM

7 posts, read 4,653 times
Japanese and Taiwanese sounds best in my POV

Old 07-24-2018, 06:30 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,404,586 times
I don't want to offend our German-speaking friends by quoting the old computer-room sign that starts (more or less) with "Nicht touchen das blinkenlighten ..." or something like that. I've read that some offended young German dudes came up with their own parody of English, which I'd be delighted to hear. All in the spirit of fair play.

I once had a boss who was a native German speaker. Upon hearing me say that I would like to learn German (which was an honest statement), he asked "why would you do that?". I was puzzled to hear that. Later, I heard that he had been forced to join the Hitler Youth as a teen.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:33 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,255,620 times
Misleading given the different people speaking.

If I limit to women speaking (which to me is more pleasing to my ear), it would be

Taiwanese Mandarin

Japanese

Korean

Old 07-31-2018, 11:00 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,297,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Chinese movies, music, and tv shows have been and will continue to be absolute crap (in the foreseeable future anyway). It's just the way things are.
Why is that? How come we don't hear about many movies coming out of Taiwan? Or they simply not as popular?

Old 08-01-2018, 11:28 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,903,278 times
Of course, alot of people are going to take issue with Chinese as being to harsh on the ears. But take a close look at Shanghainese. Strangely enough, it sounds more like Japanese than other Chinese dialects. It only has two tones (it's a pitch-tone system), similar to Japanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia