U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2016, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pennsylvania / Dull Germany
2,214 posts, read 2,630,790 times
Reputation: 2090

Advertisements

What if US and Canada unite? What if Germany and France unite? In theory, you can imagine a lot of things. But not gonna happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2016, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Manhattan, NYC
900 posts, read 630,683 times
Reputation: 834
It would be a logical move to have a sort of unified Korea, Japan, Taiwan, SG and HK for example (when that was still a possibility). Economically, they are more or less advanced and a political and military union (federation?) could have provided a certain weight in the international scene.

Now that's the rational thought... and it doesn't take into account the short sighted popular beliefs that are present in all those countries with prejudices, historical quarrels and all.

Therefore it will never happen, despite that being the most logical solution in order to survive in the upcoming order.

Posters are right to say that what-ifs are useless when it comes to geopolitics. If that happened, China, Russia and even the US would not be very happy about it, and will make sure it never does. They don't even want to see an unified Korea, which is still a small country relatively speaking. A sort of united Korea and Japan? It's a really good start for a strong country. We are talking about 2 countries have been able to overcome the lack of natural resources with human resources and technological advances.

Basically, Japan would bring a lot of technological advances in niche industries, e.g. robotics, and other traditional industries (automobile...), South Korea would bring at least technological advances in some other niche industries, e.g. laser, as well some in the electronics industry or heavier industries (shipbuilding). North Korea would bring the natural resources and the nuclear power. Add Singapore for the financial hub... and it would be a dream come true to see that Asian Union / Federation.

And maybe then they could have a stronger football team too LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Manhattan, NYC
900 posts, read 630,683 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
OP, it's never gonna happen and you ask for the impossible,making Japanese the official language of the new country. Do you understand how nationalistic Koreans feel about their language and Hangul? You underestimate them



I have to make a right correction. 漢字 was not designed for Japanese, it was designed for Chinese (that's why they are called Chinese characters, which is kanji in Japanese). Kana was designed by Japanese to overcome the limitations of Chinese characters as used in Japanese.

Davy, the -stans just got their independence from each other after the USSR collapsed, why would they want to be united again???
I think it that happens, you need to take the European models where all languages are official. It would become a federation, and all documents have to be issued in both languages, etc etc... Canada, Belgium or Switzerland would come to mind as examples.

Again, you have to go beyond the nationalistic stance and understand that both Japan and Korea need each others to be more successful in the international scene, and if they would have been willing to pull this out, they could have a brighter future altogether. But, that won't happen, I agree. Both countries are too stubborn and short sighted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Manhattan, NYC
900 posts, read 630,683 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
+1

And even Chernobyl, Chernobyl's Exclusion Zone Is Now a Thriving Wildlife Habitat
Timothy Mousseau, a biologist at the University of South Carolina, and his colleagues found that some birds were adapting to the radioactive environment by producing higher levels of protective antioxidants. And a study in Current Biology concludes that the disaster zone is starting to look more like a de facto nature reserve teeming with elk, deer, wild boar, and wolves.





If you really want to believe that life in former radioactive sites is going to "thrive"... do you understand that you cannot underestimate those dangers by definition? Do you think humans will adapt too? It's called mutation, and it's not expected to happen. I certainly hope you're not going to have to adapt yourself, or someone in your family.

You still see fishes with higher contamination in the sea, and obviously the matter is still not contained. It would be criminal to send citizens back to this land even in 30 years and if you support your government to do that just because you want to believe, you are sacrificing all those people. That should never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
you have to go beyond the nationalistic stance and understand that both Japan and Korea need each others to be more successful in the international scene, and if they would have been willing to pull this out, they could have a brighter future altogether. But, that won't happen, I agree. Both countries are too stubborn and short sighted.
It doesn't work.

I think it's difficult for an American to understand, as it is larger than most of it's neighbors. But, let's say that INDIA and the USA merged....who do you think is going to be ELECTED every single presidential and senatorial and everything else...it's going to be an INDIAN person. Which basically means that your thoughts/ideas on EVERYTHING as an American disappears, and your country becomes India-dominated in a democratic society, and everything that India wants, it gets, as democratically, all the Indian people will have the vote. That means beef becomes outlawed in the U.S., and on and on.

I am just trying to simplify it in that way, so it is understandable. But that is why a Japan and Korea can't merge....basically the lesser populated one (Korea, in that situation), ceases to have any say in anything, in a democratic society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Manhattan, NYC
900 posts, read 630,683 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It doesn't work.

I think it's difficult for an American to understand, as it is larger than most of it's neighbors. But, let's say that INDIA and the USA merged....who do you think is going to be ELECTED every single presidential and senatorial and everything else...it's going to be an INDIAN person. Which basically means that your thoughts/ideas on EVERYTHING as an American disappears, and your country becomes India-dominated in a democratic society, and everything that India wants, it gets, as democratically, all the Indian people will have the vote. That means beef becomes outlawed in the U.S., and on and on.

I am just trying to simplify it in that way, so it is understandable. But that is why a Japan and Korea can't merge....basically the lesser populated one (Korea, in that situation), ceases to have any say in anything, in a democratic society.
Just to put things into perspective, I am of Korean descent, and I am French. I also lived my whole childhood in Africa. And now I live in the US. I am not saying it will happen, I am just stating what could potentially be best for both countries in the big picture.

Btw the situation I foresee is more of the European Union style where each country has a vote no matter what and all votes have to agree in order to move forward on a given topic.

Thank you for the effort of the illustration, but again, I am just sharing the rational standpoint that could benefit both countries. I am not saying it will happen, nor that it is wanted by the concerned people. But it could turn out to be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 08:15 PM
 
749 posts, read 596,099 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Just to put things into perspective, I am of Korean descent, and I am French. I also lived my whole childhood in Africa. And now I live in the US. I am not saying it will happen, I am just stating what could potentially be best for both countries in the big picture.

Btw the situation I foresee is more of the European Union style where each country has a vote no matter what and all votes have to agree in order to move forward on a given topic.

Thank you for the effort of the illustration, but again, I am just sharing the rational standpoint that could benefit both countries. I am not saying it will happen, nor that it is wanted by the concerned people. But it could turn out to be great.

Mmm The European Union is a pseudo-democratic system. In reality only 2 countries rule it and draw full benefits from it.

As far as Japan uniting with Korea, some people don't understand that money isn't a strong enough link to tie people together in a society. Only the feeling of nation can bring people of different age, interests and social background together.

Last edited by seixal; 10-25-2016 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 05:53 AM
 
1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
It would be a logical move to have a sort of unified Korea, Japan, Taiwan, SG and HK for example (when that was still a possibility). Economically, they are more or less advanced and a political and military union (federation?) could have provided a certain weight in the international scene.
You either vastly overestimate North Korea or vastly underestimate the five other entities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Manhattan, NYC
900 posts, read 630,683 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
You either vastly overestimate North Korea or vastly underestimate the five other entities.
The whole hypothesis is about Korea, the whole peninsula, being united with Japan. It's not a matter of North Korea as it stands being united with Japan and South Korea, I hope that was clear from the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Manhattan, NYC
900 posts, read 630,683 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Mmm The European Union is a pseudo-democratic system. In reality only 2 countries rule it and draw full benefits from it.

As far as Japan uniting with Korea, some people don't understand that money isn't a strong enough link to tie people together in a society. Only the feeling of nation can bring people of different age, interests and social background together.
France and Germany are the pillar of the EU but they had a dream and it would be foolish to think that the Benelux or Italy, Spain do not get enough out of the union. As a minimum, they get the right to veto.

In our case, it's only Korea (the peninsula, according to the OP) and Japan. 2 countries can have equal vote power and make things work.

I never claimed the European Union was a democracy by itself, but it does give one vote to each nation and therefore, Belgium can stop a CETA treaty if it doesn't feel like signing it. All voices have to converge for matters to move forward. When you only have 2 voices, it should be ok.

As for the bold part, I would say that at some point, if you want your culture, country and nation as a whole to thrive instead of shrinking due to its relative size in the world, you are going to look at different options. One of them is to merge against the enemy of yesterday if that means being stronger against other parts of the world as a whole. France and Germany could work it out (despite the current time) after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top