U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 10:20 AM

10,426 posts, read 12,430,967 times

Advertisements

Add Laos to Thailand and Cambodia to Vietnam first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 10:33 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,188,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Just to put things into perspective, I am of Korean descent, and I am French. I also lived my whole childhood in Africa. And now I live in the US. I am not saying it will happen, I am just stating what could potentially be best for both countries in the big picture.

Btw the situation I foresee is more of the European Union style where each country has a vote no matter what and all votes have to agree in order to move forward on a given topic.

Thank you for the effort of the illustration, but again, I am just sharing the rational standpoint that could benefit both countries. I am not saying it will happen, nor that it is wanted by the concerned people. But it could turn out to be great.
You can't take personal experiences and apply them to society as a whole. One individual is extremely different from millions of people as a group. There's already enough tensions in the Western nations over immigration, and Korea and Japan are NOT immigrant friendly nations. Take Latin America for example. Most of everyone speaks the same language and religion and basic Spanish inherited culture. Yet we are fractured and don't see ourselves as the same as our neighbors. Despite all that, how do you realistically expect 2 nations with very different languages, customs, and history, to unite and get along when Korea in the past fought for independence from Japan for one, and two, Latin America can't unite despite the similarities? It's not going to happen, definitely not in our lifetimes anyway.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:48 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,960,521 times
Korea will not allow that after what Japan did the last time, and China will make sure Japan plays nice over there for the same reason. But say for some reason it DID happen, and we got JapRea. There would be a lot more wacky adult material, but it would be easier to get since the Japan sex industry would be right there in Korea. They would be forced to call Kimbap makizushi and everybody would have a cat. LOL LOL (moment to laugh) but then China would get concerned, become aggressive and take over BOTH Koreas and Japan.

Then some factions in the new JapRea would call on the USA to become involved. But since the USA spent much of its money and military resources in the Middle East and gets all its W"lmart goods from China, the politicians would refuse to get involved. The end result would be massive enlargement of Chinese territory. Per Kinkytoes. The end .

Referenes:
Neo Facism in Japan
The Island Dispute No One Is Talking About | The National Interest
First Sino-Japanese War History (1894-95)
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-mitter-review

Old 11-04-2016, 06:02 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
It's like asking India and Pakistan to unite. Urdu and Hindi are basically the same language though.
Don't see the similarity. Japan and Korea are completely different people with completely different languages. It is more like asking France to merge with Britain.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:18 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Quote:
I think it that happens, you need to take the European models where all languages are official. It would become a federation, and all documents have to be issued in both languages, etc etc... Canada, Belgium or Switzerland would come to mind as examples.

Again, you have to go beyond the nationalistic stance and understand that both Japan and Korea need each others to be more successful in the international scene, and if they would have been willing to pull this out, they could have a brighter future altogether. But, that won't happen, I agree. Both countries are too stubborn and short sighted.
No, you completely miss the point.

Why do "countries" exist in the first place? Ask yourself this and you will know a Korea/Japan won't happen, and should not happen. Among all countries, Japan and Korea are two of the most homogeneous ones in the world, and they have very distinct national identities - you know, the source of "country".

You are talking about economics, but countries were NEVER formed due to economic benefits. Otherwise, it would probably make a lot of sense for China to combine with Canada - these are probably the most economically complementary countries in the world. Let's put politics aside for a moment. The thing is, the Chinese and Canadians won't identify with each other just as much as the Japanese and Koreans.

Have a bright future together? How? If that's case, most countries probably should merge with their neighbors, shouldn't they?

Plus, what really make these two a good match? I don't see it. Both are very dense country with small land and large population, and very little natural resources. I don't see what Japan and Korea could provide each other something they already have.

and you also dragged HK and Taiwan into this. First Hong Kong is just a city. Yes it is a developed economy, but should all developed economies be put in the same country? That's just absurd. HK and Japan are vastly different societies and have very little in common. HK no matter how developed it is, is still predominantly Chinese, culturally speaking.

If you want combine countries, probably start with some of those in South America or Africa - many have essentially the same people and culture. Asia is too ancient and culturally mature to be experimented like this.

If you want to play this game, let me tell you, the degree of economic development is a horrible reason to put countries together.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:29 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,188,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Why do "countries" exist in the first place? Ask yourself this and you will know a Korea/Japan won't happen, and should not happen. Among all countries, Japan and Korea are two of the most homogeneous ones in the world, and they have very distinct national identities - you know, the source of "country".

You are talking about economics, but countries were NEVER formed due to economic benefits. Otherwise, it would probably make a lot of sense for China to combine with Canada - these are probably the most economically complementary countries in the world. Let's put politics aside for a moment. The thing is, the Chinese and Canadians won't identify with each other just as much as the Japanese and Koreans.

Have a bright future together? How? If that's case, most countries probably should merge with their neighbors, shouldn't they?

Plus, what really make these two a good match? I don't see it. Both are very dense country with small land and large population, and very little natural resources. I don't see what Japan and Korea could provide each other something they already have.

and you also dragged HK and Taiwan into this. First Hong Kong is just a city. Yes it is a developed economy, but should all developed economies be put in the same country? That's just absurd. HK and Japan are vastly different societies and have very little in common. HK no matter how developed it is, is still predominantly Chinese, culturally speaking.

If you want combine countries, probably start with some of those in South America or Africa - many have essentially the same people and culture. Asia is too ancient and culturally mature to be experimented like this.

If you want to play this game, let me tell you, the degree of economic development is a horrible reason to put countries together.
Africa is a hell of a lot more diverse than you think it is. South America isn't, but one of the reasons why most African countries are so unstable is because of different tribes in one country vying for power

Old 11-08-2016, 01:26 AM

1 posts, read 513 times
Japan and Korea will never be united for many reasons.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:57 AM

902 posts, read 632,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Horrible reason? It's not less stupid than a marriage of convenience. It exists, and it will be more and more crucial. The world has changed. Right now, there are countries which are so big that you cannot compete against them in the traditional way.

The choice here was totally arbitrary: it's the assumption the OP gave.

South Korea has little resources so it's important to drag North Korea into that story.

North Korea May Have Two-Thirds of World

Let's put it that way: South and North Korea reuniting is already a big boost for the country. Japan is excellent in some areas of the industry, and South Korea in others. Both being together could be very good.

Also, if I recall my geography classes corrrectly, Japan is meant to "disappear" due to shift of the tectonic plates. Having Korea with them could be helpful in this case.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:53 PM

277 posts, read 205,356 times
Quote:
Horrible reason? It's not less stupid than a marriage of convenience. It exists, and it will be more and more crucial. The world has changed. Right now, there are countries which are so big that you cannot compete against them in the traditional way.

The choice here was totally arbitrary: it's the assumption the OP gave.

South Korea has little resources so it's important to drag North Korea into that story.

North Korea May Have Two-Thirds of World

Let's put it that way: South and North Korea reuniting is already a big boost for the country. Japan is excellent in some areas of the industry, and South Korea in others. Both being together could be very good.

Also, if I recall my geography classes corrrectly, Japan is meant to "disappear" due to shift of the tectonic plates. Having Korea with them could be helpful in this case.
The biggest advantage I see is economic and military wise. Both South Korea and Japan are just too dependent on the US army and let's be honest they aren't really allies, there is no real trust.

Japan freed from the US shackles could develop nuclear weapons and serious military gear to keep China at bay and also catch up to the US/Europe in terms of weapons.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:25 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,612,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
The biggest advantage I see is economic and military wise. Both South Korea and Japan are just too dependent on the US army and let's be honest they aren't really allies, there is no real trust.

Japan freed from the US shackles could develop nuclear weapons and serious military gear to keep China at bay and also catch up to the US/Europe in terms of weapons.
So you want the spread of nuclear weapons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or