Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 11:49 AM

451 posts, read 1,323,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
It was only intended to be hypothetical, heck, there is constant bickering now as separate nations let alone even thinking about any form of unification. However, having said that, getting about past resentment and all, on paper, it would make a hell of a lot of sense economically and unleash untapped cooperation potential.

Heck, if one was to hypothesise, these two nations PLUS Manchuria (including Outer Manchuria currently occupied by Russia) and Mongolia, probably also Tuva should have unified and be called "Altaic" or something. All share to some extent the same background, customs, language and cultures...it's only that the Koreans and Japanese are more influenced by Chinese culture.
Yes, I know it was a hypothetical you posed and found it interesting. I think you are stretching that hypothetical to include Manchuria, Mongolia and Tuva based on them being "Altaic". They are even more distant than South Korea and Japan from an economic standpoint and other ways. Imagine other there being a Germanic union or a Slavic union? You can just look at the Maastricht Treaty in 1991 or the European Union today and see how much difficulty they have being unified as an economy (granted many countries there have cultures that are a bit different from each other), but they also include ones that are fairly similar. I can think of a lot of other countries in the world that are more far similar to each other economically, culturally, linguistically than South Korea and Japan and still see challenges for them to unify even if they wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 01:06 PM

749 posts, read 855,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
Yes, I know it was a hypothetical you posed and found it interesting. I think you are stretching that hypothetical to include Manchuria, Mongolia and Tuva based on them being "Altaic". They are even more distant than South Korea and Japan from an economic standpoint and other ways. Imagine other there being a Germanic union or a Slavic union? You can just look at the Maastricht Treaty in 1991 or the European Union today and see how much difficulty they have being unified as an economy (granted many countries there have cultures that are a bit different from each other), but they also include ones that are fairly similar. I can think of a lot of other countries in the world that are more far similar to each other economically, culturally, linguistically than South Korea and Japan and still see challenges for them to unify even if they wanted to.
The lack of unification you are mentioning can be explained by the fact that historically speaking solidarity and consistency in very large groups of humans have never been found anywhere else but within Nations. It is of little importance whether 2 nations share similarities, such as religion, history, language or vicinity. The day humans will lose their tribal sentiment, they won't be humans any more.
If an hypothetical North American union was to be created between Canada, the US, Mexico and all the different Central American states, I am sure the American tax payers would be less than happy to see its tax dollars taken away to finance, say Guatemalan infrastructures. In the exact same way the 12 colonies did not want to pay taxes going to the British crown, despite early Americans being nearly all from the United Kingdom.
There is no union between the EU countries for the exact same reasons as there wouldn't be any union between Korea and Japan.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:45 AM

919 posts, read 839,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
- The only real problem is still, there would be a lack of agricultural land.
Maybe not.

The Netherlands (41,530 km²) exports top 80 billion Euros.

Japan: 377,930 km2
Korea: 100,210 km2

Old 01-10-2016, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
You've been severely misinformed if you believe that. Just one comparison, the area in Fukushima will be uninhabitable for another 20 to 30 years while Chernobyl will be uninhabitable for another 20,000 years. Try spending some quality time doing research through non-fictional resources and then get back with us on it.
+1

And even Chernobyl, Chernobyl's Exclusion Zone Is Now a Thriving Wildlife Habitat
Timothy Mousseau, a biologist at the University of South Carolina, and his colleagues found that some birds were adapting to the radioactive environment by producing higher levels of protective antioxidants. And a study in Current Biology concludes that the disaster zone is starting to look more like a de facto nature reserve teeming with elk, deer, wild boar, and wolves.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:10 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Maybe not.

The Netherlands (41,530 km²) exports top 80 billion Euros.

Japan: 377,930 km2
Korea: 100,210 km2
The Netherlands is completely flat, has a mild climate all year round, and fertile soil. Japan and Korea are not.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:54 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
If S Korea and Japan unifies, then you can also be sure that China will walk into North Korea and install a Chinese puppet government. Or just outright annex the North. Guaranteed! The Koreans can kiss their long held dream of unification good bye because there is no way China will tolerate a unified Korean-japanese state on its northern border. No way.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:06 PM

451 posts, read 1,323,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
The lack of unification you are mentioning can be explained by the fact that historically speaking solidarity and consistency in very large groups of humans have never been found anywhere else but within Nations. It is of little importance whether 2 nations share similarities, such as religion, history, language or vicinity. The day humans will lose their tribal sentiment, they won't be humans any more.
If an hypothetical North American union was to be created between Canada, the US, Mexico and all the different Central American states, I am sure the American tax payers would be less than happy to see its tax dollars taken away to finance, say Guatemalan infrastructures. In the exact same way the 12 colonies did not want to pay taxes going to the British crown, despite early Americans being nearly all from the United Kingdom.
There is no union between the EU countries for the exact same reasons as there wouldn't be any union between Korea and Japan.
I totally agree with the statement that "it is of little importance whether 2 nations share similarities, such as religion, history, language or vicinity" on determining if 2 states would be successful in unifying. Japan and South Korea does not even fit that criteria- they have different religious practices, history, language. North and South Korea my have common language, but political system hinders. West and East Germany- they have common language, religion (except when Eastern Germany was Communist and atheism was promoted) and they were once one country before. However their economy was quite different. Taiwan and China- the difference are in politics, but also history, identity.

My point was if countries with similar background more similar than Japan and South Korea have challenges in unifying even if they wanted to, how much more difficult it would be for Japan and South Korea (if they even want do). Fortunately, I don't think it is even on the books and most would probably oppose as being impractical. But again, a very nice and interesting hypothetical.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The Netherlands is completely flat, has a mild climate all year round, and fertile soil. Japan and Korea are not.
You are always pessimistic, aren't you?

And I would almost take it as an insult as you think Dutch agricultural exports totally depend on its soil and climate. You should not ignore their effort.

THE NETHERLANDS
The Netherlands is a leading agricultural producer and the third largest agricultural exporter in the world, after the United States and France.
And for example, History of NL dairy farming
Intensification of dairy farming

Only 50 years ago agriculture in The Netherlands was quite similar to agriculture in many other (developing) countries today: large numbers of family farms that combine low-input crop production with various species of livestock for milk, meat, manure, traction and cultural manifestations. Until the early 1960’s milking was done by hand, carts were pulled by horses, and fodder was dried as hay for the winter period, when the cattle stayed inside in rope-tied stables.

Since the 1960’s dairy farming in The Netherlands has gone through a metamorphosis. The average number of cattle per farm has increased 7-fold: from 9 to 66 animals. Modern free roaming stables today can even keep up to 1000 animals. At the same time one man in 2007 produces 17 times the amount of milk that one man in 1960 produced. At the same time the number of dairy farms has decreased by 85%: from 180.000 farms in 1960 to 21.300 in 2007. (Table 1, Ham et al, LEI, 2010)
As you are in NL, you'd better learn how Dutch has been making efforts.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:46 PM

24 posts, read 22,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
I would move to another country if that happened

在日朝鮮人の犯罪率は本当に高いか?結果はみなさまの予想どーりでした(激怒)

Crime rates of foreigners living in Japan:

#1 Korea: 0.706%
#2 USA: 0.369%
#3 China: 0.182%
#4 Philippines: 0.181%
#5 Brazil: 0.178%
I found out this website is not trustworthy

I found this picture from the website that Yanagisawa show to us.
In Japan, some of racist cybergroup are writing nasty posts of Chinese Korean and Filipino etc.
And this picture proves that this is from that racist cyber group
Can somebody find out the proper crime rate other than Yanagisawa's data

Old 01-10-2016, 09:52 PM

24 posts, read 22,646 times
And it sounds silly for koreans like me. But if European Union succeed to unite to one country, Korea and Japan should merge like them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia