U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 08:28 AM

12,321 posts, read 18,433,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
About 2 years ago i met a Vietnamese working girl in the nightlife of Bangkok, I asked her where she was from and she replied with Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam. I replied with "Saigon?" At this point she looks at me like i just said something really bad and she changed the subject right after.
I wanted to ask more about the city name but didn't want to kill the mood.
LOL...quite the opposite. The only people that call it "Ho Chi Minh City" are Vietnam government lackey's and tourists that don't know better.

Saigon residents call it SAIGON. There are subtle reasons, but the primary reason is it's just easier to say.

A Vietnam Saigon resident explained it this way with a wink and a laugh "Communist change city name to 'Ho Chi Minh City', but they forget to change river name so it is still 'Saigon River'" as an explanation why he calls it Saigon.

Last edited by Dd714; 01-29-2016 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 AM

10,430 posts, read 12,436,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
LOL...quite the opposite. The only people that call it "Ho Chi Minh City" are Vietnam government lackey's and tourists that don't know better.

Saigon residents call it SAIGON. There are subtle reasons, but the primary reason is it's just easier to say.

A Vietnam Saigon resident explained it this way with a wink and a laugh "Communist change city name to 'Ho Chi Minh City', but they forget to change river name so it is still 'Saigon Fiver'" as an explanation why he calls it Saigon.
I guess her parents were commies, don't know what else it can be.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:08 AM

1,424 posts, read 736,898 times
It's good China has the tradition not to name cities with persons' names. Otherwise, just imagine the changes in history.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I would venture to guess that she didn't care and any perceived slight at using "Saigon" was just imagined or unrelated. A working girls concern is not politics or city names. Her thoughts were probably consumed with how much money was in your wallet.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:41 PM

10,430 posts, read 12,436,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I would venture to guess that she didn't care and any perceived slight at using "Saigon" was just imagined or unrelated. A working girls concern is not politics or city names. Her thoughts were probably consumed with how much money was in your wallet.
She liked me, didn't have to pay

Old 01-29-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
She liked me, didn't have to pay
LOL...God Bless the Asian working girls, best in the world, always thinking long term. She was probably playing you for a future husband and a comfortable life in the west.
Beats the clockwatching Amsterdam working ladies doesn't it?

Old 01-29-2016, 03:20 PM

12,737 posts, read 14,101,964 times
Quote:
Why are you so concerned with what a girl in a bar called her hometown? As for her reactions, she probably thought you had lost the plot!

Old 01-31-2016, 10:07 AM

22,175 posts, read 23,705,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
A lot of people in Saigon are afraid of being arrested for the horrible crime of loving their home.

Think of the name "Ho Chi Minh City" this way. How would most Americans feel if Germany won World War II, took over America, and renamed the capital "Hitlerville" after their war criminal leader/butcher? That's more or less exactly what happened in Saigon, and it happened less than a generation after they finally got out from under the thumb of the French imperials.

Most people in my family would be unhappy with you if you called it Ho Chi Minh City.
Equating Ho Chi Minh with Hitler is really crazy.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:08 AM

1,089 posts, read 479,900 times
Hehe ...

How about the fact that Washington DC was named after general George Washington? Washington was commander in chief of revolutionary armed force of Continental Army, founder of USA. Ho Chi Minh was commander in chief of revolutionary forces of NVA and VC (aka Viet Minh people's forces), founder of new Viet Nam. Appropriate analogy?

Old 01-31-2016, 12:05 PM

5,628 posts, read 2,921,682 times
Not quite. Saigon was an already established big city. Washington DC was an unpopulated marsh.

A better comparison would be Stalingrad-St. Petersburg Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or