Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 05:25 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
US needs to not stick its nose where it doesn't belong.
I disagree we need a policy of benevolent imperialism. Thanks to us Europe and Japan are now economic engines of the world. Frankly most of the world is mired in despotism and despair they need to be liberated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 05:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I disagree we need a policy of benevolent imperialism. Thanks to us Europe and Japan are now economic engines of the world. Frankly most of the world is mired in despotism and despair they need to be liberated.
So I'm thinking you're going to do your part and enlist or join the military officer ranks?

Old 01-10-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
So I'm thinking you're going to do your part and enlist or join the military officer ranks?
Oh man I so wish I could but I am unqualified due to several physical issues. I will support our vets and our troops in any way I can however.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Oh man I so wish I could but I am unqualified due to several physical issues. I will support our vets and our troops in any way I can however.
Then do yourself a favor and go marry a military woman seeing as you're so hyped up about the US military. I come from WWI, WWII, and Korean War veterans and I'm sick of our imperialist adventures disguised as freedom missions

Old 01-10-2016, 06:11 PM

653 posts, read 743,805 times
Taiwan is actually already an independent nation; it has its own distinct culture and society, its own elections, its own military, its own foreign relations department.

And it is already getting support from the US; there is an upcoming arms sales from US defence contractors to Taiwan.

However, China's Anti-Secession Law states the use of force, if applicable, if Taiwan officially declares to the rest of the world and the international community that it is an independent nation.

So Taiwan is independent in all, except name.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Then do yourself a favor and go marry a military woman seeing as you're so hyped up about the US military. I come from WWI, WWII, and Korean War veterans and I'm sick of our imperialist adventures disguised as freedom missions
Without our benevolence and management of world affairs the world would sink into chaos.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:23 PM

919 posts, read 840,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Excellent. Imagine what pennyone would have to say.
+1

Quote:
Taiwan is run like a independent state however officially it is claimed by the PRC despite it being governed independently. No one acknowledges this discrepancy due to the fact that no one wants to upset China. However I propose we simply launch an invasion of China and depose of the despots.
BTW, Taiwan, Republic of China, claims the Mainland China is its territory.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:47 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,180 times
In fact mainland China wants to build strong ties with Taiwan, which facilitates Taiwanese companies to do business in China. If things go worsebetween the two, China market will abandon Taiwan and turn to South Korea or other places (it already happened sometimes).

The independence of Taiwan can serve to boost some people's ego, but it may not really lead to a good future. And don't forget about 5~10% Taiwanese clearly want to unify with China. More are ambiguous.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:21 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
In fact mainland China wants to build strong ties with Taiwan, which facilitates Taiwanese companies to do business in China. If things go worsebetween the two, China market will abandon Taiwan and turn to South Korea or other places (it already happened sometimes).

The independence of Taiwan can serve to boost some people's ego, but it may not really lead to a good future. And don't forget about 5~10% Taiwanese clearly want to unify with China. More are ambiguous.
5-10% is a very insignificant number, though. I don't believe I've ever met a Taiwanese person who supports unifying with China on the CCP's terms. Most seem to be content with how the situation is now.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:39 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
5-10% is a very insignificant number, though. I don't believe I've ever met a Taiwanese person who supports unifying with China on the CCP's terms. Most seem to be content with how the situation is now.
Nobody likes CCP, but that does not mean they give up unification.
Not many mainland Chinese people support/tolerate the independence of Taiwan either. That is now a significant number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia