U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2016, 10:57 PM
 
1,424 posts, read 735,401 times
Reputation: 508

Advertisements

I think Taiwanese culture is very liberal, definitely more so than all other East Asian countries. Most Taiwanese leaders studied in the US and were deeply influenced by American ideology. Many professors in Taiwan studied in the US too (not so in China or Japan).

In mainland China, however, even those who worked in western countries for a long time tend to be conservative. The fact that Donald Trump gains popularity in China may be a good example. I would assume he cannot be popular in Taiwan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2016, 02:41 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,774 posts, read 5,122,827 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I think Taiwanese culture is very liberal, definitely more so than all other East Asian countries. Most Taiwanese leaders studied in the US and were deeply influenced by American ideology. Many professors in Taiwan studied in the US too (not so in China or Japan).

In mainland China, however, even those who worked in western countries for a long time tend to be conservative. The fact that Donald Trump gains popularity in China may be a good example. I would assume he cannot be popular in Taiwan.
Not really. Studying in the US doesn't mean ****. Most of the politicians are bigoted, sexist, and homophobic, and not all professors share the Western liberal ideas either. KMT is usually the worst, and DDP isn't left enough either, though the latter is indeed more supportive to gay rights and more against the usage of death penalty in general, and is a teeny tiny bit more environmental friendly.

Most of the parties that have enough popularity in Taiwan are all very right. KMT in particular is almost on a fascist level. General population isn't that well-informed either, especially for those over 40, they are the furthest thing from "liberal".

Donald Trump isn't popular in Taiwan because very few people care about American politics, since we are having our own elections like this weekend, American election really isn't something people have in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 07:07 AM
 
Location: American Expat
2,189 posts, read 4,715,756 times
Reputation: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc820307 View Post
Should the U.S. support an independent Taiwan?

:認為:
Taiwan is already independent. China might as well claim the U.S. or Australia. Dosen't mean it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 09:52 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Taiwan is run like a independent state however officially it is claimed by the PRC despite it being governed independently. No one acknowledges this discrepancy due to the fact that no one wants to upset China. However I propose we simply launch an invasion of China and depose of the despots.
What a stupid and hotheaded proposal. On what ground do you invade China? And trust me the US congress will never support it but continue your childish imagination.

Taiwan has been a democracy for not many years. Should the US invade it prior to that? Should US invade Saudi Arabia? Maybe Singapore also?

Some people live in a bubble. I have no idea why you think that way. Countries can take various forms, and if China took the US system, it will catastrophic believe me. You don't know China and judge on things based on an oversimplified philosophy.

As to Taiwan, it is a country and I recognize it. But it is none of the US's fxxxing business. Try to save the gun violence victims fist before poking your nose around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 09:58 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I disagree we need a policy of benevolent imperialism. Thanks to us Europe and Japan are now economic engines of the world. Frankly most of the world is mired in despotism and despair they need to be liberated.
There is no such thing as benevolent imperialism. All that the US did is out of nothing but egoism. Nothing else and it is unrealistic to expect otherwise.

The US only acts like a democracy when in fact the power is in the hands on the big corporations and lobby groups, not the government or the people. The rest of the world doesn't need to be liberated.

Yeah the US loves democracy, that's what it overthrew democratically elected governments repeatedly elsewhere, in the Mid East and South America? Yea, right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 03:21 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, CA
674 posts, read 438,568 times
Reputation: 792
I wouldn't be completely shocked if Taiwan either remained sort of its own thing for the rest of my lifetime or decided on a peaceful reunification in the distant future. An invasion isn't going to happen.


America isn't going to invade China, either. How could someone call that "benevolent" when the result would be millions and millions of dead people? It would probably end up being one of the worst humanitarian disasters of all time.


Here's my advice to anyone calling for war, ever. Imagine the family member you love most. Then imagine the next ten in the list of family members you love. Now imagine them all dying, horribly, though some of them are kidnapped and tortured first.

Pretty much every war ever has resulted in exactly that scenario happening countless times to many, many people who got caught in in the squabbles of politicians and generals who treated international politics like a board game.

Yes, sometimes it's a necessary evil, in that it's necessary to go to war because someone else started it and you don't want to let them kill everyone for no reason, but it's always, always, always, always, always a tragedy, and it's morally reprehensible to wish for more tragedies just because the scale of the tragedy is such that our minds treat it like boring ol' statistics instead of a mountain of ruined lives.


Think again before beating war drums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 04:44 PM
 
1,424 posts, read 735,401 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Taiwan is already independent. China might as well claim the U.S. or Australia. Dosen't mean it's true.
But Taiwan cannot join the UN and many other international organizations. When they join, they usually use the name "Chinese Taipei", not Taiwan or ROC.
So It is almost independent de facto, but not completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2016, 03:46 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,774 posts, read 5,122,827 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
But Taiwan cannot join the UN and many other international organizations. When they join, they usually use the name "Chinese Taipei", not Taiwan or ROC.
So It is almost independent de facto, but not completely.
It's completely independent, the only reason why it has so many obstacles joining those clubs is China being a c**t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2016, 08:10 AM
 
1,424 posts, read 735,401 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It's completely independent, the only reason why it has so many obstacles joining those clubs is China being a c**t.
Not matter what the reason is and how much you hate it, the UN does not recognize Taiwan as a member, and you have to use "Chinese Taipei" in Olympics and other events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2016, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,774 posts, read 5,122,827 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Not matter what the reason is and how much you hate it, the UN does not recognize Taiwan as a member, and you have to use "Chinese Taipei" in Olympics and other events.
Being an independent country and joining international organisations are two different and unrelated things. A country can be completely independent and not being able to join, or simply choose not to join, some random club for various reasons.

UN membership is not a measurement of determining statehood. If it is then Switzerland was never a country until 2002. Neither is the Olympics. Puerto Rico is in the race under its own name, but it is by no means an independent country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top