U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:10 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,366,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yeah, you'll send in the troop, but you'll sit on your comfy couch and watch the war on TV. Tough guy. I hate cowards that talk tough.
Wait a minute, in another thread you just criticized the Dalai Lama for "running" from the Chinese instead of staying there and getting killed or imprisoned. You consistently advocate for China to use its army to teach its neighbors a lesson. You respect China more than its "lesser" neighbors for its military might. Borninthesprings urging of an American invasion of China is wrong and fortunately not likely to ever happen, but he's not the only armchair warrior around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 07:25 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,366,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Taiwan is run like a independent state however officially it is claimed by the PRC despite it being governed independently. No one acknowledges this discrepancy due to the fact that no one wants to upset China. However I propose we simply launch an invasion of China and depose of the despots.
Saying something that upsets the Chinese government is ok - invading the country because we don't like what they say is not. It would be an act of aggression, kill millions of innocent people, be a quagmire, and possibly start a nuclear war. No sane leader of the US would even consider it given the current state of affairs. War should always be a last resort used for defensive purposed only. But of course it never will be that. And as others have pointed out, imperialism has never been done for altruistic reasons.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:37 PM

919 posts, read 602,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Obviously you didn't get what I meant.
ROC quit the UN because at that time they thought there is only one China, so PRC and ROC cannot coexist in the UN.
What quit or was expelled was not ROC.

Read it carefully.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:45 PM

919 posts, read 602,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Taiwan isn't something that I think China would want to waste too much time on really.
I think China is worried that the unification will be challenged by Tibetans/Uighurs/Mongols etc once Taiwan achieved independence.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:53 PM

1,424 posts, read 734,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
What quit or was expelled was not ROC.

Read it carefully.
OK, technically ROC was not expelled because the UN also thought both PRC and ROC represent China. They chose PRC at that time.
But that is not important. My whole point is, Taiwan government IS WILLING to join the UN (either with the title ROC or Taiwan), but they have no chance at all. All other issues you brought up are just distractions from this point.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:29 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,812,960 times
The bigger question is are American willing to sacrifice hundred of thousands of White American lives to help a non-white country stay independent?

Old 01-15-2016, 11:24 PM

2,682 posts, read 905,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
I think China is worried that the unification will be challenged by Tibetans/Uighurs/Mongols etc once Taiwan achieved independence.
Could be, but also consider Taiwan is an island and the others is land touching China. If correct that does make a big difference.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:35 PM

2,682 posts, read 905,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
The bigger question is are American willing to sacrifice hundred of thousands of White American lives to help a non-white country stay independent?
Not sure I'm getting what you're saying there. If your talking about American troops, the US military isn't just made up of whites. When I was in the military, it was primary whites, blacks, Latinos, and Filipinos. The smallest groups of military personnel were like Pacific Islanders, Asians and Laotians.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:10 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,812,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Not sure I'm getting what you're saying there. If your talking about American troops, the US military isn't just made up of whites. When I was in the military, it was primary whites, blacks, Latinos, and Filipinos. The smallest groups of military personnel were like Pacific Islanders, Asians and Laotians.
USATODAY.com - Front-line troops disproportionately white, not black

The overwhelming majority of front line troops in the US Army are white henceforth the vast majority of the casualty in a war will be white. The vast majority of pilots and special forces units are overwhelmingly white and this diversity problem has been an issue that has been constantly discussed when affirmative action is discussed. I didn't include black and Latinos in my previous post because they generally vote anti-war and trying to sell a war (especially between two foreign states in a civil war) to them is extremely difficult for various reasons I won't get into. That leaves whites, who generally are more open to war since a significant number of whites (especially in the South) are well represented in the military and the military industrial complex.

What I mean to say is do you honestly think a president can sell a Sino-American war to the American public (specifically White Americans)? If you want to know how difficult a Sino-American war would be, the RAND corporation stated that currently it would take 2,000 aircraft to secure the Taiwanese airspace from the PLAAF. The Chinese have stated over and over again that they will never accept a peace treaty that forces them to recognize Taiwanese independence and if the CCP recognized Taiwanese independence, it would lose legitimacy. Essentially, the Chinese are willing to threaten the US with nukes in the event they are losing the war with the US. In the event that happens, the US would be forced to recognize the status quo ante bellum or risk a nuclear holocaust. The US most certainly would not want to risk a nuclear holocaust and would probably accept a status quo ante bellum.

Do you think this would be an acceptable outcome to the American public? Do you really think they would be happy to lose possibly a hundred thousand troops and a significant portion of its power projection capabilities just to thwart a Chinese takeover of Taiwan? Do you really think the American public would be happy with anything less than the unconditional surrender of China (which is impossible to achieve)? Do you think the American public would be happy with the continuing reign of the CCP in the aftermath of a war? Iraq and Afghanistan was easy to sell to the public due to 9/11 and because those militaries were antiquated or close to non-existent. The Chinese military is certainly no Iraqi or Afghan military and even though the US can win a war with China, the costs would be extremely heavy and there is absolutely no guarantee that there would be a favorable peace treaty.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:27 AM

4,674 posts, read 3,607,316 times
Before some of you tough guy arm-chair general/cowards start running your mouth about how China will be decimated by the US in a military brawl, read the article. It's about a possible Diaoyu crisis, but a taiwan island crisis and its resolution could easily be drawn from what would happen there....

How FP Stumbled Into a War With China

Remember that japan is actually an official ally, and taiwan does NOT have a defence treaty with the US. So, if the US won't even go all out to protect japan's fleet and assets, what's the chance that the US would attack China on taiwan's behalf? Read and learn something today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or