U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 01:34 PM

2,470 posts, read 4,651,296 times

Advertisements

What kinds of things are China doing to decrease air pollution? It's appalling.

Is most of the air pollution of vehicles? If so, can they institute a smog check like in California?

It's also because their govt doesn't have to listen to the people. No elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 02:32 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,451,393 times
as bad as it is, water pollution is an even bigger problem in china.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:43 PM

317 posts, read 237,814 times
I live here in north China (only 6 more months) and one of the biggest issues is heating using cheap cool. right outside where i work (school) there's a smokestack bellowing out steam generated by cool. Heating is from Nov 15 to March 15 when government heat is turned off. This is a big contributor to the problem - i'm told that soon will be changing to natural gas. December was a particularly bad month in Beijing and surrounding areas - 300+ aqi for days on end. Fortunately this January with drop in temps and cold Siberian winds, it has improved. Not good place if you want fresh air!

Old 01-17-2016, 08:25 PM

13 posts, read 7,523 times
I was recently in Beijing, and it is impossible to breathe!
my head is quickly ill!

Old 01-17-2016, 09:51 PM

9,780 posts, read 13,365,753 times
It's not a big deal here in South China, comparatively speaking. Blue skies here in GZ today.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:39 PM

17,417 posts, read 21,263,654 times
I know a high tech computer guru who occasionally goes to Beijing to supervise a team of workers, and he was over there for a month, recently, and he wore a respirator (masks don't help much) every day, with an air purifier going in his hotel room the whole time there. When he pulled out the filters of his respirator at night, they were black!

One of his workers, there for 2 months, couldn't take it anymore, and returned to the U.S.

4440 people are dying every day over there with respiratory problems. And no pollution controls on the cars, like in Europe/the U.S.

I even feel sorry for the dogs and cats that have to breathe in that filthy air every day.

In a recently Economist article, the mayor of Beijing has said that if he doesn't clean up the air there by 2017, he's going to chop his head off!

But, hey! The U.S. had unbreatheable air in a number of cities here at one time. In Pittsburgh, at its worst, you wouldn't dare open the window in your house! L.A. was still experiencing 200 Red Alert days as late as the year 2000.

In London, the crisis came about in the 1950's, when an inversion hit the city for 4 days, and 4000 people died on the streets, with visibility reduced to 11 inches.

So, I'm guessing China will clean up its act much quicker than we did, or England.

It's now reported that 30% of the air pollution in California stems from China!

Old 01-21-2016, 12:58 AM

501 posts, read 462,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
4440 people are dying every day over there with respiratory problems. And no pollution controls on the cars, like in Europe/the U.S.
China has pollution control on cars, but they are about 10 years behind European standards and not always enforced as strongly as in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
But, hey! The U.S. had unbreatheable air in a number of cities here at one time. In Pittsburgh, at its worst, you wouldn't dare open the window in your house! L.A. was still experiencing 200 Red Alert days as late as the year 2000.

In London, the crisis came about in the 1950's, when an inversion hit the city for 4 days, and 4000 people died on the streets, with visibility reduced to 11 inches.

So, I'm guessing China will clean up its act much quicker than we did, or England.
Cities in northern china have had weeks at a time where the AQI didn't drop below 500, Los Angeles was never that bad, although 1950s London probably was (we didn't have AQI back then).

And I don't think it will be easy for China to clean this up. London had 7 million people in 1950, Beijing has 12 million. London was one of the richest city on the planet in 1950 and could easily afford stricter pollution controls, Beijing is fairly well off, but certainly not that rich and other cities in China are still very poor (comparatively). The west was also able to reduce some of their pollution levels by sending all the dirty factory work and mining and stuff to China. China is not yet at a development level to be able to do that.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:47 AM

17,417 posts, read 21,263,654 times
I have read that China has any number of nuclear power plants under construction, not due online for awhile, so that should help the air quality tremendously. And I understand they also have solar power, wind turbines as well.

Coal power plants can be made to be cleaner, but the cost of the scrubbers, which are also expensive to maintain, is quite prohibitive. In the U.S., the coal power plants prior to 1997 were grandfathered in, scrubbers are not required, but all new ones must have them.

The East Coast never suffered the dirty air east of the Appalachian mountains, in the U.S., as they took advantage of a much cleaner, although much scarcer in quantity in the world, with burning anthracite coal. There was luckily an huge anthracite deposit just west of Philadelphia.

I wasn't aware the cars in China had any pollution controls on them.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:29 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,129,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
What kinds of things are China doing to decrease air pollution? It's appalling.

Is most of the air pollution of vehicles? If so, can they institute a smog check like in California?

It's also because their govt doesn't have to listen to the people. No elections.
I'm not sure how having elections could help improving their ****ty air. India has free and fair elections but their air is just as ****, if not worse.

Besides, considering the level of brainwashing over there the commies would be in power until 22nd century if they really had elections. Nothing would change. See Russia.

Chinese ppl will continue to breathe crap for decades, at least for those who live in the north. Some countries that developed earlier are still fighting for clean air (Italy, Taiwan, Korea etc.), let alone China, whose industrial development basically started like yesterday as far as history goes.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:37 AM

1,424 posts, read 736,377 times
Climate is a factor too. China is controlled by Siberia High in winter. Snow/rain is rare.
North America has far more precipitation in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or