U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 12:49 PM

27 posts, read 12,933 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of planning a vacation to Thailand and I have lots of questions and needs lots of information.

I'd like to know more about the country as a whole.

I don't want to go to the typical touristic places and vacation like a typical tourist, but instead want to be and stay safe of course, but go where the natives go, eat what the natives eat, etc. I think you get the drift.

Any and all information would be helpful.

Thanks

Last edited by Quise; 01-14-2016 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 01:07 PM

2,701 posts, read 908,566 times
I'd say your best bet is if you've got a friend who's been there, have them go with you. Or, if you have a friend who knows someone from there, have them hook you up with that person. Seriously the best way to do what you are wanting to do is by having someone with you from there.

I did it that way when I was going to Japan, Thailand, Korea, and the Philippines for the first time. Saved me a whole lot of troubles and money.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:52 PM

10,424 posts, read 12,422,095 times
The non-tourist area's of Thailand aren't that interesting.

If you want to avoid the majority of the tourists just don't go to Bangkok, Chonburi, Phuket, Phang Nga, Krabi, Surat Thani and Chiang Mai.

Don't go to the 3 most Southern provinces (Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat), most dangerous area of Thailand.

Still like 65 provinces left

Old 01-13-2017, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 1,363 times
NW of Khon Kaen, dam and reservoir, giant Buddha temple on top of mountain, quite beautiful. Large temple on mountain by Udon Thani and a famous lake in winter with red flowers. Nongkhai is nice, clean on Mekong River, as well as Chiang Khan in Loei. Mountains there to view the beauty. Lopburi is the town with monkeys.

There are lots of people online who are private tour guides and speak English. I'd check the sites you'd want to visit and find a private English tour guide. And check Thaivisa.com for suggestions.

Trains are fun, even if they look like they are 80 years old, have an adventure.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:12 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,443,736 times
What is it you want to do there? If you don't speak the language, it's going to be problematic when you get into the rural backwaters and you are dealing with essentially 3rd world poverty and infrastructure. As far as I know, most of Thailand is fairly safe provided you are respectful.

I love Thailand but wouldn't want to spend appreciable time in the areas not tourist promoted. I have friends that live there and can travel to remote areas to see how they live and it's much easier to be there in the company of a local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia