U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:08 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,361,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Heck, the Chinese are often astonished beyond words when they see that we furriners are able to master the complexity that is eating with two sticks!
Yup... the number of times that I've had people stare in open astonishment because I can use chopsticks... "I thought that foreigners couldn't use chopsticks."

My wife's dad, upon meeting me the first time:

Him: "Ha! Go for dinner? Why should we go for dinner? Does he even like Chinese food? Does he know anything about Chinese food? I bet he can't even eat it using kuai zi (chopsticks)."
Wife: "He is an excellent chef. He can make many Hunan dishes and uses kuai zi better than me. He can pick up one grain of rice and feed it to me."
Him: *glowers, turns, looks the other way and drags off his cigarette*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 08:23 AM

1,424 posts, read 735,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I don't get this thread. Chinese women and their families are not " old fashioned" at all. Where I live half of Chinese women are married to white guys and now a days most Asian women in general do not want to date Asian men.

I am very surprised actually seeing Asian couples walking around.
Maybe you are talking about Chinese Americans. Chinese in China are very different. And most parents do not prefer foreign sons/sisters in law.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:45 AM

11,758 posts, read 5,550,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
No, it is vastly different. Think of it this way...

American arrogance: "learn to speak English."
Chinese arrogance: "Our language is 5,000 years old, foreigners aren't capable of learning Chinese."

American: "American food is the best."
Chinese: "our food is the culmination of 5000 years of genius tradition, foreigners can't understand why it's the best."
Me: "Oh? How come The Cheesecake Factory® makes the best Orange Chicken then?"

Mick

Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,361,441 times
^ I have actually made my wife, her family, and some Chinese friends some orange/General Tso's/Lemon chicken or tofu before, and they liked it.

Contrary to popular "foodie" dogma pushed by white- and Chinese-Americans who have never been to China and want to sound more cultured than they really are, there is indeed sweet and sour chicken in China. It is a reasonably popular dish in the South.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:03 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,103,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Contrary to popular "foodie" dogma pushed by white- and Chinese-Americans who have never been to China and want to sound more cultured than they really are, there is indeed sweet and sour chicken in China. It is a reasonably popular dish in the South.
Yep. My MIL used to make it frequently. S&S fish, too. Pork, also.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:39 PM

448 posts, read 499,799 times
There are Chinese parents who object inter provincial or county marriages within China due to cultural and economic differences between different regions of China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or