U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 10:52 AM

451 posts, read 1,081,721 times

Advertisements

I don't find this odd. I don't eat at McDonald's that much these days. But, time to time in the past I would buy a vanilla soft-serve ice cream and also french fries and dip the fries into the ice cream. I thought it was pretty tasty. I think it had to do with the contrast- the cold and sweet soft serve ice cream and the hot and salty fries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 12:58 PM

2,724 posts, read 916,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
I don't find this odd. I don't eat at McDonald's that much these days. But, time to time in the past I would buy a vanilla soft-serve ice cream and also french fries and dip the fries into the ice cream. I thought it was pretty tasty. I think it had to do with the contrast- the cold and sweet soft serve ice cream and the hot and salty fries.
It may be the contrast. But I think it's more a chemical reaction. That's what cooking is all about. It's like chemistry. The overall taste depends on various mixtures of spices and the amounts of each one used. For example, I was involved with a girl from Korea and during the time we were dating, she would get two types of chocolate, one an unsweetened bar of dark chocolate and one a sweetened bar of light chocolate. She would take a nibble off of each one, one right after the other. I thought that was odd but I tried it and actually, it tasted pretty good. We used to then get a half pound of unsweetened dark chocolate chips and a half pound of sweetened lighter chocolate chips (maybe around 60% to 70% chocolate) from Ghirardelli every other weekend in San Francisco. We would mix the two together and then just grab a hand full containing about 50/50 unsweetened and sweetened chocolate chips. Tasted really good and so it may be the contrast that makes it taste good, and/or a chemical type reaction of the two fusing together while melting.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:46 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,895,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
The extra yen for ketchup reminds me of when I went to McD's in Japan for the first few times, we "American's" would put lots of ketchup on our fries. The Japanese would freak over that cause to them, one packet of ketchup should be enough for a few orders of large fries. We used to put at least three packets of ketchup on just one order of large fries. That's probably how the evolved into charging 40 yen extra for the condiment.

I'm surprised they don't charge for extra mayonnaise. Seems like the Japanese put that condiment on more things than ketchup plus when they do, they use more of it too compared to ketchup.

I should say that if you buy the verity pack of French fries, onion rings, and chicken nuggets, for 1,400 ($12) they throw in one ketchup and one mustard for free.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:12 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,895,895 times
Slightly off the subject, but the one thing that Japanese fast food burger places do right is teriyaki burgers. Teriyaki sauce in place of ketchup and mustard on a hamburger, is so amazing. It should be standard on burgers everywhere.

This local food truck near me serves Hawaiian burgers. I don’t care that much for the pineapple on a burger. But for me they will put the teriyaki sauce on a regular hamburger. It makes for an absolute perfect burger.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:39 AM

11,758 posts, read 5,558,360 times
Excuse me, aren't you the people that pour soy sauce over white rice and then stick the chopsticks vertically in the rice for good measure? Horror, horror!

Hey, you know what they say, once you go chocolate, you never go back. Or something like that.

Mick

Old 02-05-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Excuse me, aren't you the people that pour soy sauce over white rice and then stick the chopsticks vertically in the rice for good measure? Horror, horror!

Hey, you know what they say, once you go chocolate, you never go back. Or something like that.

Mick
Who'd do that? Those are two very bad manners in Japan. That and passing pieces of food from one pair of chop sticks to the next pair of chopsticks.

When my girlfriend came to America to visit me, we went out to breakfast and she started to pour ketchup on her eggs. I told her that's the equivalent to pouring soy sauce over steamed rice in Japan. She never did that again.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:48 AM

4,668 posts, read 6,123,460 times
Quote:
When my girlfriend came to America to visit me, we went out to breakfast and she started to pour ketchup on her eggs. I told her that's the equivalent to pouring soy sauce over steamed rice in Japan. She never did that again.
Poor girl, can't eat what she likes.

On scrambled eggs is about the only time I mess with ketchup.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:44 PM

451 posts, read 1,081,721 times
Quote:
Who'd do that? Those are two very bad manners in Japan. That and passing pieces of food from one pair of chop sticks to the next pair of chopsticks.

I actually like ketchup on scrambled eggs. But if that is offensive to some, perhaps an alternative would be to serve scrambled eggs with diced tomatoes. Unfortunately, I don't think McDonald's has that option.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:53 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,376,732 times
I'm a firm believer in doing whatever tastes best to you. You want french fries with chocolate sauce? Go for it...

I make teriyaki, ma po, and sweet & sour tacos for the Chinese guests who come to my TemMex restaurant, because the bold flavors and clashing hot (beans, rice, meat) and cold (pico de gallo, lettuce, cheese) utterly terrifies the living hell out of most Chinese people. Most of the Chinese people who eat the authentic flavors either lived abroad for awhile, or have seen tacos and burritos on cooking shows that have prepared them for the flavors, and want to try.

Basically, I do chicken or pork in one of the above sauces, white rice with green onions, and then a garnish of sesame seeds and fresh green onions. Teriyaki gets a side of diced pineapple and ma po/sweet and sour a side of napa kimchi as suggested condiments. They seem to like it...

Old 02-08-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Poor girl, can't eat what she likes.

On scrambled eggs is about the only time I mess with ketchup.
Nothing "poor girl" about it. She got to eat it with ketchup, just the right way of doing it, dipping it in the ketchup instead of pouring it all over it.

BTW - Before I went to Japan I used to pour soy sauce all over the steamed rice. Once she told me that was bad manners in Japan, I did it the correct way. Was that "poor guy"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or