U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 06:52 AM

170 posts, read 300,998 times

Advertisements

Long story short is I just got laid off, so with some time and cash want to get away for a while. I'm planning to book a one way (to Bangkok or Singapore) and go from there. Can stay from 1-3 months, just whatever I feel like when I get there.

I don't know much about the area - any general tips or something I'm overlooking that I'd need to plan for with an open one-way?

Plan to leave ~Feb 12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 06:57 AM

12,310 posts, read 18,425,337 times
You plan to leave in 2 weeks and you have no idea where you are going?
I'm all for adventure but you do need to prepare, and that involves more than just making a post in an internet forum. At least get a good Lonely Planet book on SE Asia or something.
Anyways my recommendation would be Bangkok because the rest of SE Asia is accessable with the proper visas (yes you need to plan for visas), Singapore is an Island and to get anywhere, unless you fly, you have to take a long trip through Malaysia.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:05 AM

170 posts, read 300,998 times
Haha I probably let off that I've done a little less planning than I have. Have a plan to head to DC this week to get my Vietnam visa, and have spent hours reading. Mostly just asking to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. For example, I just read that Chinese New Year is Feb 8th - if that happened to be Feb 14 I coulda been in trouble in finding lodging, etc. Or, maybe flights are expensive last minute so consider planning. Just asking for a double check on those kind of things. Basically, is having little plan going to burn me? I typically map out every move before I travel but "going with the flow" seems like an interesting way to do this one.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:27 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,794,260 times
One thing I leaned with all my trips to Asia is that any plans I make usually go into the trash can about six hours after I land. You might have all sorts of things planned, but, chances are, you'll end up altering your itinerary for one reason or another.

The first thing you should consider is whether the airline will allow you on a flight with a one-way ticket. If not, you'd better buy a r/t ticket that can be changed, once you firm up your return date.

Second, Bangkok would be a good first stop. It's easy to get anywhere from there and it can be an inexpensive place to relax and get over jet lag. That alone can take a week.

Third, be prepared for tropical heat. And if you don't really know what that means, you'll find out.

And finally, bring a small laptop or tablet with wi-fi. Most hotels and guesthouses have free wi-fi, and you can usually pre-book your rooms or airline tickets online.

One other thing: make sure you tell your banks and credit card companies where you'll be and when you'll be there. Otherwise, you'll find your cards frozen for suspected fraud the first time you try to use them. And maybe bring some back-up travelers checks or cash.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:10 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,794,260 times
Another thing. It might be smart before you go to get a double or triple entry tourist visa from the Thai Embassy near you. Otherwise, you only get stamped in for 30 days when you get there. With a double or triple entry tourist visa, each entry gives you 60 days which can be extended 30 days in country. So, if need be, you could stretch a double entry visa out to almost 180 days and a triple entry visa even longer.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:15 PM

329 posts, read 477,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjordan View Post
Haha I probably let off that I've done a little less planning than I have. Have a plan to head to DC this week to get my Vietnam visa, and have spent hours reading. Mostly just asking to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. For example, I just read that Chinese New Year is Feb 8th - if that happened to be Feb 14 I coulda been in trouble in finding lodging, etc. Or, maybe flights are expensive last minute so consider planning. Just asking for a double check on those kind of things. Basically, is having little plan going to burn me? I typically map out every move before I travel but "going with the flow" seems like an interesting way to do this one.
The Chinese New Year's activities last about two weeks, so lodging will still be tight in the tourist attractions of S.E. Asia on the 14th. Shouldn't be a deal killer, but I'd make sure you have accommodations booked at this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or