U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:26 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,114,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Thanks for your subjective comment with no data, as always.

Here comes some public humiliation with data then.

Average TOEFL score, 2014
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL, /ˈtoʊfəl/, toh-fəl) is a standardized test to measure the English language ability of non-native speakers wishing to enroll in American universities. The test is accepted by many English-speaking academic and professional institutions. TOEFL is one of the two major English-language tests in the world, the other being the IELTS.

France 87
Italy 90
Portugal 94
Spain 94

Taiwan 80
China 77
South Korea 84
Japan 70

Page 14 and 15

IELTS demographic data, 2014
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a test that measures the language proficiency of people who want to study or work in environments where English is used as a language of communication. An easy-to-use 9-band scale clearly identifies proficiency level, from non-user (band score 1) through to expert (band score 9)

Link

I guess it's pretty evident, I even coloured them for you.
Europeans speak way better English than East Asians do, the worst performers included, and Japan is amongst the worst of the worst.

Just accept it, we just don't know that much English in general. The education system and all those cram schools are as embarrassing as things could get and the amount of time and money spent on English education is basically **** poor investment.

Last edited by Greysholic; 02-18-2016 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 04:11 AM

919 posts, read 602,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Just accept it, we just don't know that much English in general. The education system and all those cram schools are as embarrassing as things could get and the amount of time and money spent on English education is basically **** poor investment.
You said in general, but I argue with that.

Test of English as a Foreign Language
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL, /ˈtoʊfəl/, toh-fəl) is a standardized test to measure the English language ability of non-native speakers wishing to enroll in American universities. The test is accepted by many English-speaking academic and professional institutions.
LINK
The TOEFL® test is a highly respected English language proficiency test, helping millions of students like you attend English-speaking institutes all over the world.
Only those who intend to attend English-speaking institutes take TOEFL. So the samples are quite biased, and the scores can't represent people in general.

LINK
The TOEIC® Tests — the Global Standard for Assessing English Proficiency for Business
Those who want to improve their English proficiency in order to get a job or a higher position and stay in own countries tend to take TOEIC.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:22 AM

448 posts, read 499,025 times
Since most Japanese high school students have no intention to study abroad, the percentage of high school students taking TOEFL or IELTS should be much lower than the percentage in Seoul, Taipei, Hong Kong, Shanghai etc

Very few students from Japan study in the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ, HK and Singapore compared with the numbers from Korea, Taiwan, HK and Singapore, all have smaller population than Japan. There are more Singaporean students in the UK and Australia than the ones from Japan. There are more Taiwanese students in the US than the Japanese students in the US. The largest group of foreign students in many countries is the Mainland Chinese, easily understood being the country with the largest number of high school students.

In Hong Kong, all undergraduates of public colleges have to pass IELTS at a certain level as a graduation requirement.

One thing I noticed is that the Asians who are famous worldwide speak good english, for example Psy, GG ,Jolin Tsai , Bruce Lee and Michelle Yeoh.

Last edited by lokeung); 02-19-2016 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-19-2016, 03:22 PM

1,424 posts, read 734,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post

One thing I noticed is that the Asians who are famous worldwide speak good english, for example Psy, GG ,Jolin Tsai , Bruce Lee and Michelle Yeoh.
Mainland actors/actresses still speak poor English in general, although it is changing.
Li Bingbing has improved a lot since she started to work for Hollywood.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:06 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,043,103 times
Just ask yourself if there's one language or culture that stands out from the others as the one that you would like to learn yourself. This would be for your longterm benefit. I'd guess that this would be Mandarin, so a teaching opportunity in China would make sense. You may be more likely to want to use Mandarin, or a familiarity with Chinese culture, in the future. It would be useful for work, if you're interested in international law or business. Japanese or Korean might also be useful, but a knowledge of Mandarin would likely be even more marketable, but I am just guessing.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 PM

501 posts, read 461,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
I'm not sure what Psy's backgroud is, but the others are not typical experiences. Jolin Tsai was an English major in university, so she obviously studied English more than most people. Bruce Lee was born in the US, went to English language school in Hong Kong and then went to university in the US and worked in the US for many years before returning to HK to become a movie star. Michelle Yeoh's first/primary language is English and she moved to England as a teenager.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:52 PM

228 posts, read 87,192 times
Id go to Shanghai OP.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:40 PM

992 posts, read 937,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medellin Paisa View Post
Id go to Shanghai OP.
What is your reasoning?

Btw, I appreciate all of the responses so far! I'm definitely reading and digesting them, but I've been keeping out so as not to influence the conversation.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:00 PM

1,947 posts, read 906,071 times
Ok ok , lets be real about this whole question of choosing which Asian country to teach English. Of course it does come down to a matter of taste. As always, some like this and some others like that. I know one person who really likes Chinese girls and no other Asian for him . Then another friend who has lived in Japan for over 11 years and adores Japanese girls. So, when all is said and done, lets be honest

IT'S THE GIRLS !!!

Old 02-24-2016, 10:08 AM

1,424 posts, read 734,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Ok ok , lets be real about this whole question of choosing which Asian country to teach English. Of course it does come down to a matter of taste. As always, some like this and some others like that. I know one person who really likes Chinese girls and no other Asian for him . Then another friend who has lived in Japan for over 11 years and adores Japanese girls. So, when all is said and done, lets be honest

IT'S THE GIRLS !!!
Then how do you explain many women teach English in Asia too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or