Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:40 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,417,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiwmaf View Post
The OP is a typical white male with yellow fever, typical!

He can't get a white woman to pay attention to him, so he has to go to East Asia to teach English and teach some other "things" to the local women.

No wonder you people are called Cauc-Asian.
Eh, not true on multiple fronts. Obviously there is little I can do to change your mind, but I don't have yellow fever (latinas are my weak spot) and have no problems with women (quite the opposite actually). I do like to travel though and experience other cultures, which is why teaching ESL seems like a good thing to do before committing myself to law school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 08:07 PM

919 posts, read 835,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
A sit-down test/survey means very little. The reality is that Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, and Chinese ppl all speak ****e English and all four peoples are on the same level, give or take.

Italians and French also speak horrible English, but it's a lot easier to find someone who could understand you on the streets of Paris or Milano if you don't speak French or Italian. It's also a lot easier to order in a random, small restaurant in France or Italy than in Japan or Taiwan if you only know English.
Another source:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfinn View Post
This kind of story;
"The world's largest ranking of countries by English skills"

EF English Proficiency Index - A comprehensive ranking of countries by English skills
#29 Vietnam
#30 Japan
#31 Taiwan
#37 France

Old 02-25-2016, 12:02 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,790,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Ok ok , lets be real about this whole question of choosing which Asian country to teach English. Of course it does come down to a matter of taste. As always, some like this and some others like that. I know one person who really likes Chinese girls and no other Asian for him . Then another friend who has lived in Japan for over 11 years and adores Japanese girls. So, when all is said and done, lets be honest

IT'S THE GIRLS !!!
I know numerous white couples who moved here together, and numerous couples comprised of foreigners who met here.

Not to say that foreigners never shack up with locals (I'm married to a former coworker from Hunan and we have a kid on the way), but, this is an ugly stereotype that I haven't found to be overwhelmingly true in living here.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:02 AM

118 posts, read 125,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Then how do you explain many women teach English in Asia too?
Some come for adventure, others come to pay off student loans others come to get teaching experience. others a combination of some or all of the previously mentioned. Some even come to meet Asian guys for romance / fun believe it or not.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:59 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,790,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
Some come for adventure, others come to pay off student loans others come to get teaching experience. others a combination of some or all of the previously mentioned. Some even come to meet Asian guys for romance / fun believe it or not.
I do indeed know a number of expat women who come to meet local guys, too

Old 02-25-2016, 04:46 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,099,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I know numerous white couples who moved here together, and numerous couples comprised of foreigners who met here.

Not to say that foreigners never shack up with locals (I'm married to a former coworker from Hunan and we have a kid on the way), but, this is an ugly stereotype that I haven't found to be overwhelmingly true in living here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I do indeed know a number of expat women who come to meet local guys, too
Sometimes I regret not spending a few years teaching English in Asia...

Old 02-26-2016, 10:42 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,417,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Sometimes I regret not spending a few years teaching English in Asia...
I feel like if I don't, then I will as well

Old 03-03-2016, 11:53 PM

166 posts, read 277,198 times
I've taught in China, Korea, and Vietnam.

Definitely liked them all, hard to say which was the best.

If I could do it all over again, I might head to Japan though. Or maybe I'm just saying that cuz I've tried all the other places.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 931 times
welcome to shanghai
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia