U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2016, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Orange County, CA, USA
451 posts, read 1,080,843 times
Reputation: 357

Advertisements

Japan Population Shrinks By One Million Census Confirms. And the population is quickly aging- I think this is prevalent trend in other East Asian Countries like South Korea, Taiwan and even Singapore (which is technically Southeast Asian with strong East Asian cultural influence).
Japan population shrinks by one million census confirms - BBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2016, 06:30 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,192,720 times
Reputation: 11624
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
Japan Population Shrinks By One Million Census Confirms. And the population is quickly aging- I think this is prevalent trend in other East Asian Countries like South Korea, Taiwan and even Singapore (which is technically Southeast Asian with strong East Asian cultural influence).
Japan population shrinks by one million census confirms - BBC News
It'll level out. Less people means less pollution and other stressors on the environment, and a higher quality life. It already leveled out in Russia and is on the increase again without immigration, and Russia had among the lowest birthrates in the entire world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 06:34 PM
 
4,342 posts, read 2,270,414 times
Reputation: 5591
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It'll level out. Less people means less pollution and other stressors on the environment, and a higher quality life. It already leveled out in Russia and is on the increase again without immigration, and Russia had among the lowest birthrates in the entire world
Not really - it means the working class are supporting the retired class and with less working class it means that QOL will go down not up; Also who is going to take care of all those old people - especially with Japan not allowing immigration.

Japanese people are forgoing marriage and putting off kids despite government incentives - that is going to be bad for everyone there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Fort Collins, USA
1,477 posts, read 2,373,309 times
Reputation: 1819
The alternative is an ever increasing population because life spans will continue to increase. It seems to me that Japan is crowded enough as it is. As lifespans increase so does quality of life in the later years. Indexing retirement age to average lifespan is the best way to deal with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 07:57 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,192,720 times
Reputation: 11624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Not really - it means the working class are supporting the retired class and with less working class it means that QOL will go down not up; Also who is going to take care of all those old people - especially with Japan not allowing immigration.

Japanese people are forgoing marriage and putting off kids despite government incentives - that is going to be bad for everyone there.
Old people don't live forever. They're going to die eventually. And I already pointed out that Russia faced the same exact crisis as Japan until recently, actually even worse because many of Russia's young men were DYING 30 years too early from alcohol abuse and suicide, and eventually government incentives, not immigration, increased the birth rate to a more sustainable level. Japan is already crowded enough as it is. Leave the Japanese alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 09:28 PM
 
Location: downtown
1,826 posts, read 1,242,903 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
Japan Population Shrinks By One Million Census Confirms. And the population is quickly aging- I think this is prevalent trend in other East Asian Countries like South Korea, Taiwan and even Singapore (which is technically Southeast Asian with strong East Asian cultural influence).
Japan population shrinks by one million census confirms - BBC News
Amazing..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 10:00 PM
 
3,515 posts, read 4,967,573 times
Reputation: 3499
And 1 in 7 houses in Japan is unoccupied - and the rate is rising.

A glut of unoccupied houses | The Japan Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 10:21 PM
 
Location: downtown
1,826 posts, read 1,242,903 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
And 1 in 7 houses in Japan is unoccupied - and the rate is rising.

A glut of unoccupied houses | The Japan Times
.. That means cheap housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 10:29 PM
 
4 posts, read 2,672 times
Reputation: 10
This is so bad. even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2016, 09:00 AM
 
4,695 posts, read 3,620,707 times
Reputation: 7394
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Old people don't live forever. They're going to die eventually. And I already pointed out that Russia faced the same exact crisis as Japan until recently, actually even worse because many of Russia's young men were DYING 30 years too early from alcohol abuse and suicide, and eventually government incentives, not immigration, increased the birth rate to a more sustainable level. Japan is already crowded enough as it is. Leave the Japanese alone
I think an old and feeble japanese population, completely addicted to a cushy life and having no desire or capability for war is always a good thing for everyone else in Asia and beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top