U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 01:15 AM

919 posts, read 603,026 times

Advertisements

No escape? China's crackdown on dissent goes global
Bangkok (CNN)Yu Yanhua hasn't been back to her apartment in days.

She's been too frightened, she says, after at least four dissidents of Chinese origin were arrested or simply disappeared from Thailand in the last four months... only to resurface back in China in the custody of the government.

Yu is a pro-democracy activist who fled to Thailand last year to escape government repression in China.

"I thought I would get protection in Bangkok, that I wouldn't have to live in fear of being arrested all the time," she says, bursting into tears. Now she lives in fear of being snatched off the streets by Chinese agents.

Swedish publisher disappears

Observers are most alarmed by the mysterious disappearance of a Swedish national of Chinese origin.

Gui Minhai is a part owner of a Hong Kong-based company that publishes gossipy books about China's elite.

He was last seen in Thailand on October 17, driving out of the condominium complex where he owns an apartment in the resort of Pattaya. Thai police tell CNN they have no record of Gui leaving the country.

Three months later, Gui appeared weeping on state television in China. He claimed he returned to the country of his birth to turn himself in to police for breaking parole after a drunk driving accident thirteen years ago.

Thai and Swedish authorities don't appear to be convinced.

And this is the reason why every Chinese here on CD never stands against Chinese Communist Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 03:04 AM

4,688 posts, read 3,615,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post

She's been too frightened, she says, after at least four dissidents of Chinese origin were arrested or simply disappeared from Thailand in the last four months... only to resurface back in China in the custody of the government.

Yu is a pro-democracy activist who fled to Thailand last year to escape government repression in China.

"I thought I would get protection in Bangkok, that I wouldn't have to live in fear of being arrested all the time," she says, bursting into tears. Now she lives in fear of being snatched off the streets by Chinese agents.

Observers are most alarmed by the mysterious disappearance of a Swedish national of Chinese origin.

Gui Minhai is a part owner of a Hong Kong-based company that publishes gossipy books about China's elite.

He was last seen in Thailand on October 17, driving out of the condominium complex where he owns an apartment in the resort of Pattaya. Thai police tell CNN they have no record of Gui leaving the country.

Three months later, Gui appeared weeping on state television in China. He claimed he returned to the country of his birth to turn himself in to police for breaking parole after a drunk driving accident thirteen years ago.

And this is the reason why every Chinese here on CD never stands against Chinese Communist Party.
Dissent aside, I am sure there are many Chinese who generally support China and where it's going today. You have to admit that China has accomplished much in the past decades. It certainly has a lot of problems, but it is also very successful in many ways. China does have a lot of support. But of course, this sort of nuanced subtlety in world politics is well beyond your little mind to comprehend.

Not every Chinese support the CCP. Likewise, not every foreigner hate China. Some foreigners don't drink the kool-aid while others are too stupid to live without it.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:00 AM

5,600 posts, read 2,908,427 times
Isn't it illegal to arrest (or in this case) kidnap someone in another country to bring back to China? Thailand or Sweden should tell China that they have no right to do that.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:35 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,238,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post

Do you really think so? I've assumed it was cultural. Well you never know the Chinese Communist party may have spies reading posts on C-D. They may be more similar to North Korea behind the scenes than most people think.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:00 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,124,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/b]

Do you really think so? I've assumed it was cultural. Well you never know the Chinese Communist party may have spies reading posts on C-D. They may be more similar to North Korea behind the scenes than most people think.
I don't think they give two ****s about such a random American site.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:30 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,238,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I don't think they give two ****s about such a random American site.
Don't think so either.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:02 PM

1,424 posts, read 735,637 times
No surprise. Snowden has to hide in Moscow too. Even Hong Kong is not safe for him.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:10 PM

51,946 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
No surprise. Snowden has to hide in Moscow too. Even Hong Kong is not safe for him.
That's an extremely silly comparison.

It's more like if Rush Limbaugh had to flee to England after Obama won the 2008 election.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:18 PM

1,424 posts, read 735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's an extremely silly comparison.

It's more like if Rush Limbaugh had to flee to England after Obama won the 2008 election.
Not silly at all, both are enemies of the government. Different governments have different sorts of enemies though.

In the US, criticizing the president does not make you an enemy of the government, for example.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:18 PM

3,764 posts, read 3,805,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Not silly at all, both are enemies of the government. Different governments have different sorts of enemies though.

In the US, criticizing the president does not make you an enemy of the government, for example.

Snowden was an American citizen at the time he fled. The US can prosecute it's own citizens. China is kidnapping dissenters who are foreign nationals which is a completely different animal. That's the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or