Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 10:57 AM

6,197 posts, read 11,804,914 times

Advertisements

This is something I've been confused about. I love Japan and want to move back there. One thing I could never get an answer on is whether or Japan is conservative or liberal (or more liberatarian/moderate)? I would say its conservative compared to Western Europe, and the prime ministers over the last 50 years have been majority the LDP (whose policies are similar to the GOP). I think Japan is pro-capitalism and thus fiscally conservative, but like Democrats on certain issues such as the environment and gun control, and maybe the health care system and welfare. Also, the younger Japanese tend to prefer Democrat presidents of the U.S., like Clinton and Obama over the Bush's or Reagan (and I don't think they like Trump either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 11:09 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,968,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
This is something I've been confused about. I love Japan and want to move back there. One thing I could never get an answer on is whether or Japan is conservative or liberal (or more liberatarian/moderate)? I would say its conservative compared to Western Europe, and the prime ministers over the last 50 years have been majority the LDP (whose policies are similar to the GOP). I think Japan is pro-capitalism and thus fiscally conservative, but like Democrats on certain issues such as the environment and gun control, and maybe the health care system and welfare. Also, the younger Japanese tend to prefer Democrat presidents of the U.S., like Clinton and Obama over the Bush's or Reagan (and I don't think they like Trump either).
I think you just can't place a western dichotomy of right/left on any Asian country.

In some ways, most Asian countries are VERY CONSERVATIVE...as things like gay rights or gender equality just aren't thought about at any national level, at all.

But that doesn't mean that Asian countries are CONSERVATIVE just because of gay rights issues....which is kind of the barometer for Western countries with liberal/conservative.

In short, left/right, republican/democratic are just constructs that exist in the mostly American political mindset. We can generally apply them to Europe, as they fit in well within the same framework. ASIAN countries are just completely completely different in every kind of way.

Somethings appear quite comfortably together in what we in the West would consider two extremes...i.e. gay marriage wouldn't even be discussed or debated.....but abortion would go on without issue, but also not even thought of as discussion worthy. Guns..what? Non-issue. Drugs....super bad.

In general, conservative...but Japan also has a ton of weird things that would NEVER fly in the U.S....for example, basically legalized prostitution and sex industry being very acceptable...on and on.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:02 PM

13,499 posts, read 18,088,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
This is something I've been confused about. I love Japan and want to move back there. One thing I could never get an answer on is whether or Japan is conservative or liberal (or more liberatarian/moderate)? ....
I think trying to fit an essentially late 20th century template onto Japan is an exercise in weirdness.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:24 PM

452 posts, read 1,317,164 times
I don't think you can neatly place Japan or other East Asian/Southeast Asian nations as either "conservative" or "liberal". I believe these terms better fit Western Countries. As Japan and other East Asian/Southeast Asian nations do not have a "Judeo-Christian" foundation. Thus, you will have some aspects of the society as deemed "conservative" per Western eyes and other aspects deemed "liberal."

Old 03-06-2016, 12:33 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,343,718 times
The only liberal country in Asia is Israel.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:59 AM

10,649 posts, read 15,918,583 times
Those born before the 70's are definitely more conservative but the Japanese born after the 80's are just as liberal as most Westerners born in the 80's.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:06 PM

919 posts, read 833,466 times
I checked myself at one website. I was quite conservative politically and quite liberal economically.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:28 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,125,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The only liberal country in Asia is Israel.
I don't think anyone in the West would consider institutional racism to be liberal.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:40 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,343,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I don't think anyone in the West would consider institutional racism to be liberal.
Well maybe not in that sense, but in terms of gay-friendliness Israel is heads and shoulders above the rest of the continent.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:38 AM

919 posts, read 833,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well maybe not in that sense, but in terms of gay-friendliness Israel is heads and shoulders above the rest of the continent.
Go ahead and marry anyone, but I don't understand why gay-friendliness is so important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia