U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 06:38 AM

276 posts, read 204,795 times

Advertisements

I'm second generation Vietnamese-Australian, my folks were boat people that went from Thailand to Australia. We arrived in 1984, dirt poor with probably about $100USD when we arrived. My folks as first generations in Australia so they were not qualified/well educated to do any jobs that paid reasonably.

I look back now and see how my kids/nieces/nephews are so privileged, but some of the fondest memories with my elder sister and brother was what has shaped us today. It really taught us to be resourceful, make the most of what we have and most of all be happy with materialism!

Some of my fondest 'being poor' memories:

- As kids mum and dad worked two+ jobs but it barely covered expenses/mortgage, I remembered pretending to need cellophane paper for my art designs (so i my weird ass designs) in prep school for my sister to use for her high school work lol.

- We never had a babysitter so we would always be left alone at home until our parents came home from work (10pm). It was "freedom" but was only allowed to stay in the living room and only use the toilet accompanied by both siblings!

- We lived 2kms from school and the nearest train station. To save on bus ticket costs, my elder brother and I managed to pick up two damaged bikes and fix it up - served us all throughout our high school years.

- All video games and computer equipment we owned were 1-2 generations behind. My brother and I became really good at fixing electronics and basically scavenged second hand/damaged goods when in our teens through friends or newspaper ads.

- We made bootleg copies of all board games by wood, cardboard etc.

- I basically couched surfed through uni to save on train costs etc. Used the newly renovated uni gym bathrooms and had 2-3 pairs of clothes in my locker. Met a few interesting characters couch surfing...got too dangerous so I resorted staying over at friends who were mainly overseas students (those who lived in the CBD). I went home about once a month and did this for about 1.5 years before I caved in and moved to a shared apartment...

It was a child hood full of DIY, freedom (scary when I think about it now though) and recycling things/living without.

What's your "growing up poor" story? What fun things were you forced to do/make the most of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 12:52 AM

11 posts, read 6,867 times
There is still a big gap in wealth and development between Australia and Vietnam. Most Vietnamese in Australia do not want to move back to Vietnam.

In the past, All of Asia were considered poor by the rich western countries. But now, some countries are wealthier. And maybe better than the West in something.

For the Chinese or Taiwanese in Western countries, moving back to China or Taiwan aren't really bad if they have enough money to survive. China is not too bad except human rights and pollution. You can solve many problems and enjoy very much in China if you are rich.

Overseas Koreans think South Korea is great but don't like the problems associated with North Korea.

Hong Kong people who moved away always like to visit HK regularly, but they dislike it being influenced by China too much nowadays.

Japanese are proud of their country and few of them want to move to other countries.

Last edited by Ichibbb; 03-24-2016 at 01:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or