U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 04:15 AM

7 posts, read 8,285 times

Advertisements

I've posted this on a few other major forums so I'm sure it isn't too controversial for this forum.

I'm Indian and I've grown up using the term "Indian" to refer to mainly South Indians but sometimes North Indians too.

I consider Pakistanis to be Middle Easterners, racially and culturally closer to countries like Iran than to South Asia.

Their biological race is more Middle Eastern. While a few North Indians exist in Pakistan (and vice versa, many Arabs exist in South Asia), most Pakistanis are racially closer to Afghanis and Iranians.

Their culture is very Middle Eastern too and even their language is written in Persian. The few UNIQUE cultural similarities came from foriegn empires like the Mongol Empire and British Empire.

Their economy is very closely tied with the Middle East too. Considering the size of the two countries, trade is underwhelming compared to India's other trading partners.

Geographically, the Middle East can be easily stretched to Pakistan, and several newer maps actually show Pakistan as part of the Middle East (and not South Asia).

Middle East Map / Map of the Middle East - Facts, Geography, History of the Middle East - Worldatlas.com
Plans for Redrawing the Middle East: The Project for a

Old 03-17-2016, 06:30 AM

10,421 posts, read 12,406,700 times
East of Thrace / East of Ukraine / West of Kerman Province / West of Ural River = Near East

East of Yazd Province / West of China and India = Middle East.

East of the Stans / West of Guam = Far East.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:20 AM

2,273 posts, read 1,557,690 times
Pakistani's love to consider themselves to have middle eastern blood in them. But most ME will laugh at that notation. Pakistan was part of India before world war II. Before WWII, Pakistani wouldn't be considered not part of Indian subcontinent. Why would it be different now?

I still consider Pakistan part of Indian subcontinent. I do agree Pakistani culture is closer to ME culture than any other part of Indian subcontinent But they have far more in common with India: from history to fashion to language to food.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Pakistani's love to consider themselves to have middle eastern blood in them. But most ME will laugh at that notation. Pakistan was part of India before world war II. Before WWII, Pakistani wouldn't be considered not part of Indian subcontinent. Why would it be different now?

I still consider Pakistan part of Indian subcontinent. I do agree Pakistani culture is closer to ME culture than any other part of Indian subcontinent But they have far more in common with India: from history to fashion to language to food.
Pakistanis were never part of India. It was foriegn empires that United the two regions together, a bit like Turkey's relationship to Europe.

As a South Indian, I cannot accept or associate with racial definitions that include Pakistani as part of Indians. If you knew anything of race or culture of the entire region (Iran to Maldives), you'd understand why Pakistanis are closer to Middle Easterners.

Food varies a lot in India. Sri Lankan do not eat the same food as Bhutanese, like how French eat different food to Greeks.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:35 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,229,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regorde View Post
Pakistanis were never part of India. It was foriegn empires that United the two regions together, a bit like Turkey's relationship to Europe.

As a South Indian, I cannot accept or associate with racial definitions that include Pakistani as part of Indians. If you knew anything of race or culture of the entire region (Iran to Maldives), you'd understand why Pakistanis are closer to Middle Easterners.

Food varies a lot in India. Sri Lankan do not eat the same food as Bhutanese, like how French eat different food to Greeks.
Why don't you explain this in more detail?

Old 03-17-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Why don't you explain this in more detail?
What do you want to know? You're asking me to detail the entire culture of several regions.

I explain the relationship between India and Pakistan, as being similar to the relationship between Europe and Turkey.

A lot of Pakistanis' culture is nearly identical to countries like Afghanistan, and obviously their race is Middle Eastern in terms of biology.

India is as culturally varied as Europe. Things like food are negligible.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:07 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,229,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regorde View Post
What do you want to know? You're asking me to detail the entire culture of several regions.

I explain the relationship between India and Pakistan, as being similar to the relationship between Europe and Turkey.

A lot of Pakistanis' culture is nearly identical to countries like Afghanistan, and obviously their race is Middle Eastern in terms of biology.

India is as culturally varied as Europe. Things like food are negligible.

Well I suspect Pakistani culture has many ties with countries traditionally thought of as being in the middle east largely due to the shared religion of Islam.

As far as phenotypes I disagree I see much more resemblance with some north Indians than Iranians and Arabs in general. Which isn't surprising if you look at the genetics. There is overlap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneti..._of_South_Asia

"Using mitochondrial DNA variation data collated from various studies, we have shown that populations of Central Asia and Pakistan show the lowest coefficient of genetic differentiation with the north Indian populations, a higher differentiation with the south Indian populations, and the highest with the northeast Indian populations. Northern Indian populations are genetically closer to Central Asians than populations of other geographical regions of India..."

Old 03-17-2016, 01:00 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,596,528 times
I disagree with you. Most of the pakistani population outside of the Pashtuns are Punjabis and Sindhis. Punjabis and sindhis are definitely an Indic ethnicity and culture. Pashtuns are 20% or so of Pakistan's population and they definitely straddle the Afghan/Pakistan border and can be considered more "central asian" like the rest of Afghanistan and northeast pakistan. The remainder of the ethnicities in Pakistan are much smaller. Punjabis are something like 60% of the population. Balochis can be considered more Iranian, but they are a very small population and the state they reside in is very sparsely populated.

As a north indian myself, I have a lot of similarities with Pakistanis. We speak the same language, watch the same movies, eat similar food (though they eat more meat), traditional clothing fashion is the same (outside of religious dress), we look similar.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:32 PM

Genetically Pakistanis have halogroups only found in their region, and they do not have halogroups that the majority of Indins have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
I disagree with you. Most of the pakistani population outside of the Pashtuns are Punjabis and Sindhis. Punjabis and sindhis are definitely an Indic ethnicity and culture. Pashtuns are 20% or so of Pakistan's population and they definitely straddle the Afghan/Pakistan border and can be considered more "central asian" like the rest of Afghanistan and northeast pakistan. The remainder of the ethnicities in Pakistan are much smaller. Punjabis are something like 60% of the population. Balochis can be considered more Iranian, but they are a very small population and the state they reside in is very sparsely populated.

As a north indian myself, I have a lot of similarities with Pakistanis. We speak the same language, watch the same movies, eat similar food (though they eat more meat), traditional clothing fashion is the same (outside of religious dress), we look similar.
As a South Indian who is firmly an "Indian", I have no cultural similarities with Pakistanis whatsoever.

Pakistanis speak a language written in Persian and heavily influenced by Middle Eastern culture. Pakistanis watch Hindi films like Middle Easterners, but at least half of India doesn't watch Bollywood. Clothes may be similar but look at clothing styles in Afghanistan and South-East Asia.

It's not racially correct to group Pakistanis in with Indians when many Indians believe Pakistanis shouldn't. It's not progressive towards Indian people and does not help with racism.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:51 PM

14 posts, read 11,337 times
I wouldn't trust Wikipedia considering the amount of racism there is against South Indians, but even the replier's selected quote talks of Pakistanis as not being North Indian.

Last edited by Higherthannormal; 03-17-2016 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or