U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 08:49 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You'd be a fool to think that Hong Kong didn't have its privileged position and higher quality of the life because of the UK--otherwise it would have been like any other southern Chinese port city. Sure, that prosperity also requires China's growth (as not every former UK possession is doing so well), but UK rule over HK played a huge role in Hong Kong's success.

Hong Kong gets its special position because it had been seen as the safest bet for foreign investment into China due to its legal structure, transparency over rule of law, and to some extent, its skilled and bilingual workforce. These were in existent, and Hong Kong had been relatively prosperous, in the modern era well before the handover. You're also right that it wasn't nearly as special relative to Shanghai back in the first half of the 20th century--but there was a really important event that led to a mass exodus of capital and skills from Shanghai at that point and much of it landed in Hong Kong which was under British rule and therefore did not succumb to the same madness that Shanghai did. So yea, maybe you should stop trying to rewrite history?
well, you need to think about it carefully: there are tons of jurisdictions that have a sound legal structure and transparency over the rule of law, as well as skilled workforce, and how many of them turned out to be another Hong Kong?

HK is HK today mainly because China secluded itself from the rest of the world for a long time but used HK as a bridge to the outside. I am not denying all the law and stuff are important, but without being a bridge between fast growing China and the world, HK is nothing and its law and transparency won't do a thing. Halifax, Canada has good legal structure and transparency over law, so what? It is still a sleepy fishing village.

It is China and the status that was given the HK by China that made HK prosperous, and other factors are auxiliary. China can take it away if it decides to. HK in the future will be eclipsed by Shanghai sooner than we think.

I am fine with HK being independent or going back to the UK if it wants to. But I am not sure how that will end if Beijing is pissed - and I am not suggesting violence. Even London dare not antagonize China any more, what exactly can HK do without China's support? It is not like it is Singapore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 08:55 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Hong Kong is a special case, because it was not fully unified with China. It has its own constitution de facto, the Basic Law.
But that is supposed to be lasting for 50 years only. We will see what happens.
in 30 years, HK probably would want to crawl back to China's arms.

The superiority of HK over the mainland is diminishing by the minute. I certainly hope China will be able to drastically reform its legal system (not necessarily the political system because western style democracy will not work in China), but the sheer economic dependence of HK on China will leave it no choice.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:30 PM

448 posts, read 499,025 times
In general, Taiwanese do not dislike Japan very much.
But many many Taiwanese fishermen dislike Japan very very much.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:01 PM

1,424 posts, read 734,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
True. That is a big difference between Koreans and Taiwanese.
In America, way more Taiwanese women marry white men than Korean women do, too. (Not saying it is good or bad, just a fact.).

Old 05-19-2016, 02:20 PM

500 posts, read 1,255,084 times
Belated again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Well, the Confederate States of America also made a choice in 1861 but they were beaten back into the union. The circumstance was a little different granted, but you can't say the Americans have the right to national sovereignty but the Chinese don't.
Actually, the analogy I use is the English occupation of the 13 colonies. They both speak English, and the US became independent from England.

Just saying that the world has a right to national sovereignty. So does the Taiwanese. The Chinese already have a country. The Taiwanese say Taiwan is a country. So.... Yeah, everyone has a country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Ideology is transient and can be changed. For example, IF Taiwan reunifies with China, I bet in a few decades they will think they are Chinese. After all, they do speak Chinese.
Taiwan will never unify. The current young generation have an established identity. They speak Mandarin, but that's as far as the similarities go. It's like saying the Mexicans are Spaniards, because they all speak Spanish.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:45 PM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
Belated again.

Actually, the analogy I use is the English occupation of the 13 colonies. They both speak English, and the US became independent from England.

Just saying that the world has a right to national sovereignty. So does the Taiwanese. The Chinese already have a country. The Taiwanese say Taiwan is a country. So.... Yeah, everyone has a country.

Taiwan will never unify. The current young generation have an established identity. They speak Mandarin, but that's as far as the similarities go. It's like saying the Mexicans are Spaniards, because they all speak Spanish.
I say ignore these people. They are willfully blind. It's like giving pearls to pigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Actually in general only Koreans and Chinese dislike Japan. Japan is a very popular and well-respected country almost everywhere else, and Taiwan probably takes that sentiment a few steps further.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:27 PM

276 posts, read 204,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I say ignore these people. They are willfully blind. It's like giving pearls to pigs.

Actually in general only Koreans and Chinese dislike Japan. Japan is a very popular and well-respected country almost everywhere else, and Taiwan probably takes that sentiment a few steps further.
They only dislike Japan as they are probably the only two in Asia that can potentially take the Japanese on militarily and economically.

The Japanese treated both of them like dirt during their respective occupational periods. The Taiwanese got off pretty well because the Japanese during their tenure on the island modelled it as a colonial showcsase to the world, had it not been that I don't think the Taiwanese would have liked them too much either.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:09 PM

4,690 posts, read 2,540,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
How could that have ever happen, since Japan was defeated in WWII? Who in their right mind would have allowed a defeated nation like japan "keep" its imperial conquests?

It would have been ideal for japan to be segmented and occupied by the Allies like Germany was after WWII. In that way, the japanese would learn more humility and be more open and less insular than they are today. Maybe the south section by the Chinese, the mid section by the American/British and the north by the Soviets.
Japan was occupied after World War II, from 1945-1952, and U.S. military bases afterwards.

Japanese, in general, are the most humble people I have ever met (I am not Asian). Are they insular? Yes, they are an island nation and mostly homogenous.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:07 PM

1,424 posts, read 734,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
They only dislike Japan as they are probably the only two in Asia that can potentially take the Japanese on militarily and economically.

The Japanese treated both of them like dirt during their respective occupational periods. The Taiwanese got off pretty well because the Japanese during their tenure on the island modelled it as a colonial showcsase to the world, had it not been that I don't think the Taiwanese would have liked them too much either.
The major reason is Chinese and Koreans are both very nationalist, and their attitude toward Japan is just a reflection of that. There are many other examples.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:12 PM

276 posts, read 204,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Japan was occupied after World War II, from 1945-1952, and U.S. military bases afterwards.

Japanese, in general, are the most humble people I have ever met (I am not Asian). Are they insular? Yes, they are an island nation and mostly homogenous.
There are always two sides to everything. I find my experience is Japan is that it's too "nice to be real", hah yes they are humble to some extent culturally ingrained, but there just seems to be this devious, sneaky streak underneath wanting to kill you. Heck, they historically learnt from the Chinese and tried to conquer them, they tried to do the same to the USA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or