U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:52 PM

569 posts, read 372,958 times

Advertisements

To OP:

You forgot when you were a kid, eating was overrated?

When I was little, I could stare at my lunch for 3 hours nonstop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 08:10 AM

15,734 posts, read 9,251,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I'm Asian and don't understand why in America companies don't realize a well feed and rested worker equals a better worker. I am a post office carrier ( I call it a starvation job) It is so physical at times and I burn a ton of calories. I get a half hr lunch either brown bagging it with lousy cold sandwiches or junk food whenever I can get on the route. Most of the time I have no time to take a half hr cause of the route and eat with dirty hands and wolf it down someplace.

This makes me able to work less fast later in the day. But If I drive to eat a healthy meal, fresh cooked food I would get in trouble cause my scanner is followed by GPS by mgt.

Thats why I am only doing letter carrier for one year and I am quitting I can't take eating daily lunches at 7-11 or at Shell. I hate overnight food.

Meanwhile in Asia they eat very well at lunch and know the body needs food to do better at work especially hard outdoor jobs. Its not frowned upon my bosses to EAT! You should see what they do in my native China at lunch, they eat very compared to American workers. Maybe Google or Microsoft have good food but how many are smart enough to work there?

Thats about the only thing I don't get about American culture and why lunchtime is frowned upon. Some places don't even want to let you eat.

Whats it like in Mexico? Do they really have a siesta time? I am thinking of working with a Mexican crew of workers. I use to see them all the time chilling at lunch at the taco trucks and envy them.

Hey America wake up you are burning workers out. Let them eat a lunch in peace like other countries.
Don't they also work 10-12 hour days?

Old 03-30-2016, 01:45 PM

1,424 posts, read 735,401 times
China used to have VERY long lunch breaks. When I was a child it was 3 hours. So I went home to eat, took a nap and then went to school again.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:47 AM

3 posts, read 2,816 times
Move to Latin European or Latin American countries where they value lunch as the most important meal of the day. And lunch breaks are super long.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:48 AM

399 posts, read 579,990 times
I go 8-12 hours at work without eating sometimes. I can't eat a heavy meal while working, it will slow me down..but I also understand that you need to eat to feed your body and mind.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:39 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Why don't you ask if you can get an hour lunch, just work 30 minutes longer each day... some companies will do it. I always thought all Federal employees got a 1 hour lunch break.

Not sure where in Asia you are from, but I know from firsthand experience a lot of places in China only do 30 minute lunches. Most people take food with them to work and eat in cafeterias, oh and they make $3/hr, while working 60 hours a week, with no overtime or benefits.
No, most jobs, including low level jobs in China offers 1 hour lunch.

$3/hr translate into RMB 18/h, or $RMB3200 per month on a 8 hour/22 day basis. That's not too bad for unskilled jobs in most Chinese cities at all.

Just so you know an OK quick hot lunch in most Chinese cities (not Shanghai or Beijing) costs $1-2. Is the minimum wage in America enough to buy 2 or 3 subway sandwiches?

Old 04-12-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
China used to have VERY long lunch breaks. When I was a child it was 3 hours. So I went home to eat, took a nap and then went to school again.
in smaller cities it still works like that, especially in the summer.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Don't they also work 10-12 hour days?
depending on what type of jobs. While I was working as a financial analyst in Shanghai, 95% of the time I worked no more than 8 hours a day. In some profession it is considerably long, but it is not like in the US everyone goes home at 5 pm. I know plenty of friends in the US who put up with long hours, including weekends on a regular basis.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:08 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,853,426 times
The postal service can not allow carriers to work over by 30 minutes. They have deadlines to meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or