U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 06:02 AM

277 posts, read 205,204 times

Advertisements

We all know China pretty much gained more land after Ming (the last real Han Chinese dynasty). I personally think Outer Manchuria or the Russian Far East is much better suited to Han Chinese

China was on its knees and nearly lost Xinjiang and Inner Manchuria to Russia. British India was encroaching onto Tibet and Mongolia could have swallowed Inner Mongolia during Independence, so there was no real way of either winning back the RFE.

I'm not sure pre-Qing China, how much control the Manchurians had over the Russian Far East, some sources cite it was their homeland and heartland whilst other say they barely had nominal control. I see the only real opportunities on two time point:

1. When the Qing allowed Han Chinese into Manchuria to stop the onslaught of the expanding Soviet Union. It probably should have done this earlier and then expand into Outer Manchuria to keep the Russians out.

2. Manchurians themselves not expanding into China proper in the first place and staying put. I could see them like a better off Mongolia today with both Inner and Outer Manchuria still in Manchurian hands. In the worse case scenario, it would cede some territory to the Koreans but at least it would have kept Outer Manchuria in East Asian hands.

3. Possibly third but far fetched scenario would be somehow if the Chinese spilt in half - North CCP, South KMT. Civil war never happens in China, CCP either would need to have some damn good convincing skills to get Russia to gift it Outer Manchuria or somehow team up with the Japanese to conquer it.

I think Outer Manchuria would have been a much better land asset than Xinjiang, where the people are way too different to genuinely assimilate into Han Chinese society.

Some further benefits of Outer Manchuria:

1. Hypothetically if China today was without Xinjiang but gained Outer Manchuria instead, size would be pretty much the same but a much longer coastline and less interior land and desert. Outer Manchuria would provide at least two ports - Vladivostok and Nakhoda. Population wouldn't be as dense and would take off population strain off provinces like Henan and Shandong.

2. Much better arable land for farming and fishing. Fewer issues to contend with e.g. desertification.

3. Economically much better off and easier to develop the entire China. Trade on each major section of the land would have a wealthy trading partner and make to easier to develop. South would have Hong Kong and Macau. Central would have Taiwan. North would have South Korea. Far North would have Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 06:30 AM

569 posts, read 373,380 times
As prolong as the Chinese history, the Qings probably realized that it was better to concede Manchuria to Russikes. In those days, the European powers were seizing the sovereignty over China or its lands. So under the Chinese diet mentality of: the more the merrier - the Russkies were welcomed to establish their footholds.

The Chinese were not insane: not fighting a lose fight.

This was my opinion.

The European hundred years war would never occour in China. The Chinese like I Am - nah, not a chance to argue a petty issue with a hundreds years war. But that was just me - the Ching.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:53 AM

569 posts, read 373,380 times
And the thing was since the people were so adoring the Western mentalities.

First, they liked to smoke the world-wide banned opiums. The thrones had done all they could to hold the fenses altogether. And in fact, the dynasty court was so deprieved of the treasury. The peace moneys were the loans from the foreign banks.

Hence don't say the thrones did not mind the flocks.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:50 AM

2,299 posts, read 3,399,461 times
As Russia declines, I definitely think China should bring out some old maps and start claiming the place. They should claim all of Siberia while they are at it. The Han will make more productive use of the land and maybe create some cute Eurasian babies in the process. Once Siberia, the South China Sea, and Central Asia is on lockdown, China will return to its former position as the world's supreme state and all will kow tow!

/sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or