Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 11:18 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,368,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post

They do but probably no more than any other developed country. I find Japanese very insular and xenophobic...
LOL Deng there is not any need for me to type this. Do people not know anything about Japan? Currently they are also having a hate-hate relationship with Korea because A) they invaded Korea and still think their culture is superior to Koreans B) There are a few Korean immigrants in their country doing business and some Japanese do not like the competition IMO C) They are having territorial disputes and disagreements about the treatment of Koreans during the occupation.

This region is almost as bad for the US to get embroiled in as the middle east. Japan has been fighting on and off with Korea and China for hundreds of years, if I'm not mistaken. Japan has also continued to conflict with both China and Korea about some territory that they claim they own. These are just little lumps in the ocean to people in the USA, but many of them seem ready to shed blood for them.

There is also sentiment and even some political action to RE Militarize Japan. They were not some facist nation allied with the Germans by chance. Tread lightly there. I think many Japanese would prefer (per their online comments) more help for working parents and a better economy so they could have their own kids, instead of importing foreigners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 03:20 PM

24 posts, read 22,612 times
So many Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Filipino, Malaysian and Indonesian is living in South Korea right now.
I hope I could move to US, Canada or Australia

Old 04-07-2016, 08:54 AM

24 posts, read 22,612 times
I am South Korean, and our country has a huge problem of aging workforce, just like one in Japan.
So I think our people should stay in their own country to make our country way better

Old 04-07-2016, 09:20 AM

972 posts, read 539,330 times
As cliché as it might sound, the Japanese are very protective of their society's harmony. They see immigration as a threat to that harmony. Notions of purity are also part of it. Even Japanese who return to Japan after living overseas are sometimes seen as "different now."

People from cultures more at ease with immigration would ask, "Who Cares? People are people." To other cultures, it isn't nearly that simple.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:01 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,691,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
As cliché as it might sound, the Japanese are very protective of their society's harmony. They see immigration as a threat to that harmony. Notions of purity are also part of it. Even Japanese who return to Japan after living overseas are sometimes seen as "different now."

People from cultures more at ease with immigration would ask, "Who Cares? People are people." To other cultures, it isn't nearly that simple.
You hit the nail on its head.
While the Chinese and Koreans who have studies overseas receives preferential treatment upon returning, the Japanese who did so actually tend to be punished, because local credentials and connections are considered far more important. This is why you don't see tons of Japanese students attending western universities or immigrating to other countries.

I am not saying it is a good or bad thing, and I respect Japan's culture and choice of not receiving immigrants. If the population shrinks, so what. Japan will have 80M people by 2060 and maybe some day 50M or less, so what. Canada has 35M and seems to be doing fine. Of course depopulation will have its consequences, but as rich and advanced as Japan, it will be all right.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:09 AM

442 posts, read 660,573 times
It is up to the Japanese to think shrinking population is a good or bad thing for them. However, aging population has negative effects for all countries in the world.

For other countries, what's happening in Japan seem to be good for them.

Canada does not have problems with a small population since it is a very large country with many natural resources. And there are positive factors attracting foreigners to move to Canada.

Frankly speaking, Japan does not have a lot of postive but negative factors that attract people to move there. It does not matter if Japan has a open-door or close-door immigration policy. It is not as good as it used to be.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:35 PM

919 posts, read 837,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
This happens in the US all the time. Very common for new immigrants to come here, bring their whole families, and get right onto subsidized housing, medical plan, food stamps etc. Lots of Vietnamese immigrants are known to also carry out fraud of these social benefits, like converting EBT cards into cash and trading them for cash etc.

Yes, people like me who work and generate income pay for them. Love it or hate it, that's the way it is.
Sad.

But what I was talking about is not about immigrants. The father came to Japan, got medical treatment and went back to China.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:39 PM

919 posts, read 837,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korea Wtf View Post
So I think our people should stay in their own country to make our country way better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korea Wtf View Post
I hope I could move to US, Canada or Australia
YOUR people should stay but you leave. What a nice guy you are.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:56 PM

280 posts, read 337,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
It is up to the Japanese to think shrinking population is a good or bad thing for them. However, aging population has negative effects for all countries in the world.

For other countries, what's happening in Japan seem to be good for them.

Canada does not have problems with a small population since it is a very large country with many natural resources. And there are positive factors attracting foreigners to move to Canada.

Frankly speaking, Japan does not have a lot of postive but negative factors that attract people to move there. It does not matter if Japan has a open-door or close-door immigration policy. It is not as good as it used to be.
Japan only got lucky during the 50s-90s due to the fact that they virtually had no competition in Asia or around even around the world. What I am really trying to say is that they never would have become as rich as they are now without China being closed off and South Korea developing anywhere near it as yet. Whatever riches they enjoyed should have only been viewed as temporary.

Too bad during the 80s and 90s they were too arrogant to the looming issues such as competition and declining birth rates. As late as the mid 2000s, Korean brands received no respect from the Japanese who ultimately still viewed themselves as superior to anyone or any brand in Asia.

That aside, I think Japan could do well with immigration but only if the government and people in Japan matures. Look at the cases of USA, Canada and Australia - all new world countries with a huge immigration population but ultimately run by White Anglos with the minorities fitting in to various degrees. The Japanese just need to make sure the top brass is still Japanese and those allowed into Japan must adopt Japanese culture and values.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:53 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,130,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Japan only got lucky during the 50s-90s due to the fact that they virtually had no competition in Asia or around even around the world. What I am really trying to say is that they never would have become as rich as they are now without China being closed off and South Korea developing anywhere near it as yet. Whatever riches they enjoyed should have only been viewed as temporary.

Too bad during the 80s and 90s they were too arrogant to the looming issues such as competition and declining birth rates. As late as the mid 2000s, Korean brands received no respect from the Japanese who ultimately still viewed themselves as superior to anyone or any brand in Asia.

That aside, I think Japan could do well with immigration but only if the government and people in Japan matures. Look at the cases of USA, Canada and Australia - all new world countries with a huge immigration population but ultimately run by White Anglos with the minorities fitting in to various degrees. The Japanese just need to make sure the top brass is still Japanese and those allowed into Japan must adopt Japanese culture and values.
This also applies to all of Western Europe and especially the United States. Faltering communist countries and underdeveloped countries all gave Western Europe and the US a heads up. In the case of the US, it benefited even more since almost all the industrialized countries suffered extreme damage from WWII.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia