U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 01:38 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,516,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Universal AET. They manufacture industrial Silencers with a India division who's adress is:
Office No. 4, Anmol Pride
Opposite BP Petrol Pump
Baner Road, Pune India 411045
No chance of Child Labor. Instead workers will be predominantly Male and 40 plus Age Group. Workers in India are heavily Unionized also. Normally a worker in such Factories has ITI Diploma after Class 10 (grade 10 of schooling). Most of ITI's impart training in engineering trades like Instrument Mechanic, Electrician, Fitter, Plumber, Diesel Mechanic, Computer Operator & Programming Assistant (COPA), electrical mechanic, Refrigeration, Turner, Welder etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indust...ning_institute

Normally you will find factory workers average age in India higher then what we see here in US. They will also be a member of Labor Union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 03:25 PM

8,619 posts, read 8,523,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Universal AET is this company?
Universal AET | Powder/Bulk Solids

So an American company with foreign manufacturing center. Generally it should be safe as US companies don't want the bad publicity that comes with exploiting child labor, plus there is plenty of India adult labor that is willing to work for peanuts. I say "generally" because there are exceptions (i.e. Nike).

The factories and plants I have visited in India have all been professionally run and employ only adults. But that is because they are carefully managed and audited, be it suppliers or directly owned. Why don't you contact the US headquarters to enquire about there standards regarding child labor? As a customer, they should be happy to share the details with you. If you are really concerned you can also make it a provision of your purchasing contract.
No this...
Universal AET
We were under the impression that silencer assemblies were being Manufactured in Wisconsin but learned last week that they are coming for the Indian facility. I was pretty PO that we spec'd American Manufacturing but Cat appears to have done an end around....

Old 04-12-2016, 03:26 PM

You know we see horror stories here(US) regarding working conditions in countries like India I'm just asking......

Old 04-12-2016, 07:46 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,516,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You know we see horror stories here(US) regarding working conditions in countries like India I'm just asking......
I got the Indian webpage of this company. It is a small plant with about 10 employees. It was established in Pune in 2010. You can see Pics of the Plant also. No child labor there. You can even check the prices quoted there in Rupees with what you have ordered.

Universal Acoustic & Emission Technologies Private Limited, Pune - Supplier of Exhaust Silencer and Intake/charge air silencers

Old 04-13-2016, 03:32 AM

11 posts, read 8,198 times
Well very unlikely in india you can find underage labour in cities, but in remote areas some industries may employ kids but its very much frowned upon. Ofcourse its not possible in pune.
Only hob in asia which is popular for such bad practices is bangladesh.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:28 AM

Thanks for all the help. !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or