U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Island in Thailand?
Koh Samet 1 12.50%
Koh Chang 2 25.00%
Koh Mak 0 0%
Koh Kut 0 0%
Koh Tao 0 0%
Koh Phangan 0 0%
Koh Yao Noi 0 0%
Koh Yao Yai 0 0%
Koh Phi Phi Don 2 25.00%
Koh Lanta 1 12.50%
Koh Ngai 0 0%
Koh Muk 0 0%
Koh Kradan 0 0%
Koh Libong 0 0%
Koh Lipe 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:59 AM

10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
It is my first time, I see phuket all over the place, and most likely will end up there.

I know Pattaya isn't an island, or is it? Either way, what can you tell me about this town?

Which one would be better, as I'm planning to get some real beach time and rest when I'm by the ocean.
Pattaya is a large town 2 hour drive Southeast of Bangkok, it is known as the hooker capital of the world.
Here is where most of the older fat guys go to pick up girls in their 20's.
All clubs/bars there are runned by Thai/Russian mafia.
Fun fact about Pattaya is that it has more "tourist suicides" (got murdered but not enough evidence) than the rest of Thailand combined.

Andaman ocean and beaches are better than the Gulf of Thailand.

Just go to Phuket and let Pattaya die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 12:29 PM

570 posts, read 559,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Pattaya is a large town 2 hour drive Southeast of Bangkok, it is known as the hooker capital of the world.
Here is where most of the older fat guys go to pick up girls in their 20's.
All clubs/bars there are runned by Thai/Russian mafia.
Fun fact about Pattaya is that it has more "tourist suicides" (got murdered but not enough evidence) than the rest of Thailand combined.

Andaman ocean and beaches are better than the Gulf of Thailand.

Just go to Phuket and let Pattaya die.
I read about the Pattaya sleaze but was thinking I could avoid it, but it sounds pretty dangerous. I might as well say Phuket and head out there, the round trip flight from bangkok is so affordable, like $96, do you think I'll have to fly the plane?

Phuket is mostly tourists? Night life is safe for the most part?

As of right now, I'm planning to head out solo.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I read about the Pattaya sleaze but was thinking I could avoid it, but it sounds pretty dangerous. I might as well say Phuket and head out there, the round trip flight from bangkok is so affordable, like $96, do you think I'll have to fly the plane?

Phuket is mostly tourists? Night life is safe for the most part?

As of right now, I'm planning to head out solo.
Hard to avoid sleaze in Pattaya.
Yes it is the most dangerous city in Thailand.
Just take the plane, driving will take you a half day.
Phuket's nightlife is safe for the most part, just avoid ping pong shows and never get stupid drunk but that counts for anywhere in Thailand especially when alone.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:01 PM

570 posts, read 559,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Phuket's nightlife is safe for the most part, just avoid ping pong shows and never get stupid drunk but that counts for anywhere in Thailand especially when alone.
LOL my friend told me about some ping pong show he was playing, why avoid it? Sounded crazy and fun, what did he leave out? hahaha

I've been to 3rd world countries, familiar with the schemes and scenes, getting **** drunk traveling alone is the worse rookie mistake/lesson.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:05 AM
ptt

413 posts, read 432,887 times
A Thai, here. I recommend Koh Lipe ( koh- Lee- Pay)

Old 04-16-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
LOL my friend told me about some ping pong show he was playing, why avoid it? Sounded crazy and fun, what did he leave out? hahaha

I've been to 3rd world countries, familiar with the schemes and scenes, getting **** drunk traveling alone is the worse rookie mistake/lesson.
90% of ping pong shows will try to scam you by raising the bill also many gogo bars try to do this with drunk customers.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:57 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,192,982 times
Any real city is going to be better than the island tourist traps and their mafia wannabees that control them. The Thais on the islands are there for one reason, and that is to help the foreigner part with his money. The high prices the foreigners are willing to pay for food and drinks really brings the lowlifes out in force. Most of the Euro-trash don't have nice beaches, and it is freezing cold in the Winter...so that's why you see the Speedo Armies every year at the Thai beaches. I recommend spending time at places that don't rely on tourism.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I recommend spending time at places that don't rely on tourism.
I already did that in Thailand and got bored after a couple days.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:28 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
It is my first time, I see phuket all over the place, and most likely will end up there.

I know Pattaya isn't an island, or is it? Either way, what can you tell me about this town?

Which one would be better, as I'm planning to get some real beach time and rest when I'm by the ocean.
Pattaya is basically a sex tourist town. It is also the nearest acceptable beach to Bangkok.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:30 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I never understood the concept of going to a country with such magnificent culture and history...and then spending it at a resort island laying on a beach chair. Seems like a waste. A European/Australian "thing" that I just don't get.

However if you are into that then Koh Samui in Southeast Thailand seems the new place to go but I guess you mentioned that in your title.
Pattaya I've heard is pretty sleazy.
Koh Samui isn't the new the place to go. Its been a major magnet for close to 40 years. The Leonard Dicaprio film, based on a book written even before it, were based on Koh Samui's popularity even 15-20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or