U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in PENANG or CHIANG MAI?
PENANG 11 57.89%
CHIANG MAI? 9 47.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 03:20 AM

18,644 posts, read 9,633,288 times

Advertisements

I voted Chiang Mai...been there a few times and love it. I also prefer the cooler climate (relatively speaking) than malaysia's very rainy and humid climate. I do prefer Malaysian food due to the variety over the excellent Thai food. Penang is Muslim plurality and Malaysia is Muslim majority which is a negative for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 06:55 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
In Singapore, they fine people for feeding pigeons. In Chiang Mai, fish food is now also labeled as bird food, because there are so many pigeon feeding Chinese, here. I've gotten off a number of Songtaews because it was just too painful to watch the Chinese negotiate with the Thais in English. The Russians have had a similar impact on Phuket. Chiang Mai is still pretty cheap, but if you want to come live like a Westerner; then it can be more than many parts of the US, and the hamburgers and pizza still won't live up to your expectations. After two years, I just put a 16 SEER A/C in my Chiang Mai Condo....I could have continued without it. Not possible in Penang. A friend just got back from KL, and was doing 3.40 usd pints of Guiness, which is a steal, by Thai standards, but Asia Pacific Breweries bottle Heineken and Tiger near BKK, so there are no import taxes on those, and they are pretty reasonable, but wine is outrageous. If you are under 50, it is much more difficult to stay in Thailand year around, than before, and there are constantly new, new crackdowns, as they correctly believe that terrorists and other criminals are frequently on overstay. If I were 10 years younger; I would probably be in Camodia, but medical care is still primitive there, but visas are easy. An 1800 square meter land parcel in the CBD of Phnom Penh is now worth 10 million USD, so it's certainly on the radar of the big investors and unfortunately has been a magnet for those not welcome in Thailand for years. Myanmar seems to be the new frontier, but have you seen the Vietjet girls? My, my , my.
3.40 pints of guinness in KL. I was under the impression that beer in thailand was quite cheap? I always felt, that in general, beer in Malaysia was quite a bit more expensive than Thailand. A sin tax of sorts? Is that not the case?

Thailand and over 50....so is it easy for people over 50 to stay year-round?

Old 04-13-2016, 07:38 AM

2,018 posts, read 1,204,483 times
Thai beers are pretty cheap, but imports are brutal, with the German and English stuff leading the expensive list...not worth it to me; but yu may know how beer snobs are. My friend said he would never pay the 6 us per pint of Guiness you would pay in BKK, but it tasted great at 3.40. It was Happy Hour pricing, and yes, the late night clubbing scene in KL is brutal price wise, but not nearly as bad as Singapore. Visa for Thailand: at 50, you can put 800,000 THB in Thai Bank CDs ("Fixed Deposits") that now earn about 2%, and get an extension based on Retirement, with 90 day check ins online, and yearly renewals that cost 55 USD. ED visas for learning Thai have been greatly restricted, and no more multiple tourist visas (3 x 60). Now there is a 6 month, but you have to get it in your own country, show 7000 usd in the bank, pay 200 usd or so, and possibly provide a letter from your employer, which is kind of weird...bur places like Portland Consulate or LA are not a problem, but on a bad hair day at the Embassy in DC, it can be a real pain, including a return ticket, your entire itinerary, etc...But if you start the process in the US for retirment, you get an 0-A for 200 USD, and you have about 21 month to bring the money to Thailand....you also need a physical and a local police clearance.....not a thorough FBI thing, but a simple statement from your local PD.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:46 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times
It seems like reading the forum, Chiang Mai should really be dominating Penang.

But, poll-wise, it is only 7-5 in favor of Chiang Mai.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:49 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,014,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I voted Chiang Mai...been there a few times and love it. I also prefer the cooler climate (relatively speaking) than malaysia's very rainy and humid climate. I do prefer Malaysian food due to the variety over the excellent Thai food. Penang is Muslim plurality and Malaysia is Muslim majority which is a negative for me.
For being in the mountains, Chiang Mai isn't cool at all.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:00 PM

4,493 posts, read 3,327,656 times
Chiang Mai. Malaysia's laws are absurd.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:13 PM

10,433 posts, read 12,442,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
For being in the mountains, Chiang Mai isn't cool at all.
In the mountains of Chiang Mai province its very cool especially if you compare it to the rest of Thailand.
The city of Chiang Mai is another story.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:10 AM

2,018 posts, read 1,204,483 times
The Old City is at about 1025 feet elevation...the highest mountain is about 8400 ft.. Winters are somewhat cooler than BKK...pretty much the same during the hot season, which is now, unless you go up in the mountains. The police in Chiang Mai arrested this guy the other day for not wearing a shirt....he was warned (and refused to comply). Most support the police, meanwhile the roads are just crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Would you rather live in PENANG or CHIANG MAI?-arrested.jpg  

Old 04-16-2016, 07:16 AM

329 posts, read 477,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
In the mountains of Chiang Mai province its very cool especially if you compare it to the rest of Thailand.
The city of Chiang Mai is another story.
Burn season in Chiang Mai is horrible. From late Feb. thru about Jun. the farmers are burning their crops and it can be very smoggy. If I lived there I'd vacate during that period. Also, Songkran in April is crazy, insane! Never again.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:21 AM

329 posts, read 477,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It seems like reading the forum, Chiang Mai should really be dominating Penang.

But, poll-wise, it is only 7-5 in favor of Chiang Mai.
You should have had a "neither." Both choices are unappealing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia