U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in PENANG or CHIANG MAI?
PENANG 11 57.89%
CHIANG MAI? 9 47.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 04:59 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,191,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Basically, you wouldn't be allowed to buy one, as a foreigner, under the minimum investment amount....even if you were buying five of them. I used an attorney as my nominee, and bought a SFR in Chiang Mai in 2006. I sold it in 2008. It's one of those "people do it all the time," kind of things, but it is still a gray area. I like having the condo chinot (deed), with my name on it, and I got a "yellow book," which gives me a national ID number, and is great for opening accounts, and prevents one from having to get a letter of residency from Immigration. I'm looking at another condo in Bangkok by a new MRT station. Not in the pricey CBD, but great city views, and the transport will take you anywhere.
That's interesting. In Thailand, is there a minimum investment, or is the rule there basically ANY condo is okay, regardless of price?

By the way, do condos have a hefty maintenance or monthly fee attached to them, in Thailand? Specifically the foreigner-buying ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 06:20 AM

2,017 posts, read 1,201,274 times
Foreigners can own up to 49% aggregate space of any single building. In very few areas, foreigners can own entire buildings. HOA fees are pretty low, usually by the square meter. I pay .85 usd psm, per month. Which is higher than many, but in the older buildings fees that are too low are a bad thing. Opposite the US, where you would avoid relatively high condo fees. The 340 square foot studio, that I am looking at in Bangkok has HOA fees of 240 USD...per year...and they add on water at 16 cents per cubic meter, which is about 45 cents per unit in US pricing...where most pay 3.00 usd per unit+. I have my own broadband account 15/5 MBps and that runs 15 usd per month, paid by the year...some of the buildings will sell you a month at 9 usd....and there are many options...depending on what side of the building you are on, etc..
Attached Thumbnails
Would you rather live in PENANG or CHIANG MAI?-majtowview.jpg   Would you rather live in PENANG or CHIANG MAI?-majilobby.jpg  

Last edited by Hal Roach; 04-29-2016 at 06:28 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 06:36 AM

and I will add about electric....April is the hottest month of the year...and this was the hottest month on record, here, in recorded history. I have electric hot water, and frig/tv/computers/fans, and ran the 16 seer a/c about 18 hours per day...on 80F with a ceiling fan....still had to sleep with a blanket...I was here all 30 nights, and this is my home office....45 USD...which is my highest in 2.5 years here, but I was 100% comfortable.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:25 AM

Out of curiosity, I just looked at the current weather between the two cities. Chiang Mai looks like it is getting a heat wave this week!
Attached Thumbnails
Would you rather live in PENANG or CHIANG MAI?-penang-weather.jpg   Would you rather live in PENANG or CHIANG MAI?-chiang-mai-weather.jpg  

Old 05-02-2016, 04:03 AM

and our lows are slightly lower...but they got rain...while we've had some, it is still a few weeks away, and they are actually calling for La Niña, which will bring months of heavy rains, which may be problematic immediately after a drought. Flood plains are pretty easy to spot and can be avoided.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:20 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,162,048 times
Which from both is the most sweltering hot ?

Old 05-02-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Which from both is the most sweltering hot ?
Feb/March/April in Panang...and few would disagree, however we have had record heat, lately..and a drought, but they are closer to the Equator, and we are close to huge mountains...about 800 miles to a 19,000 ft peak.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Basically, you wouldn't be allowed to buy one, as a foreigner, under the minimum investment amount....even if you were buying five of them. I used an attorney as my nominee, and bought a SFR in Chiang Mai in 2006. I sold it in 2008. It's one of those "people do it all the time," kind of things, but it is still a gray area. I like having the condo chinot (deed), with my name on it, and I got a "yellow book," which gives me a national ID number, and is great for opening accounts, and prevents one from having to get a letter of residency from Immigration. I'm looking at another condo in Bangkok by a new MRT station. Not in the pricey CBD, but great city views, and the transport will take you anywhere.
What is one of the appeals of BKK over Chiang Mai? Are you also going to be spending a lot more for monthly expenses? I guess there are some tradeoffs that make it well worth it, nonetheless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia