U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 11:29 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,080,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Your grasp of history is woefully weak.

But, the Democrats have always had grand visions for the US and the world,
how about McKinley? wasn't he the one who paved the way for American imperialism by declaring war with Spain and getting its first colonies?

and he was a Republican
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 12:48 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,815,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
how about McKinley? wasn't he the one who paved the way for American imperialism by declaring war with Spain and getting its first colonies?

and he was a Republican
Let's not forget that brutal occupation of the Philippines after that war. That occupation rivaled the brutality of the Bataan Death March. Of course since it was done by Americans, that occupation was just while the one done by the Japanese is savage and evil.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:42 PM

12,303 posts, read 18,421,290 times
Oh joy, another thread about a totally different topic that suddenly, inexplicitly, turns into a "I hate the USA" thread.
I swear we can start a thread about K-pop music and a few of our more creative members will figure out a way into turning into a "I hate the USA" or political topic.

Quote:

and he was a Republican
For the record, McKinley was against the war and for peaceful settlement. Newspaper publishers Hearst and Pulitzer had much to do in exciting the public into war fury, not politicians. Congress, obviously giving into public opinion (although certainly there were war-hawks in congress), declared war.
The evil American Imperialistic Empire gave Cuba independence soon after liberating Cuba from Spanish Rule. Don't sound to imperialistic to me.

OK back to the history forum for me....

Old 04-21-2016, 02:57 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I don't care what happens in Asia really the only thing I care about is that US leaves that wretched region and focus on home. Whether Japan or China is in charge of Asia is none of my concern.
I can't say enough thank you to that.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:24 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,103,373 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is under the illusion that China will be a benevolent power. That said, I don't know why people delude themselves into believing any great power can be benevolent because the US is certainly not a benevolent power.
All things are relative. And as far as great powers go, the US has been relatively benevolent.

You are not reading my posts carefully if you believe that I think the US is ALL good and NO bad.

Quote:
...everyone in Asia fears China. ... America's Asian allies prefer America to China because America bribes better than China and because it is 5,000 miles away.
Too cynical and incorrect.

Not sure what you mean by bribes?

Also the US is not far, at all, given our bases in Guam, Japan, and Korea.

Quote:
The political establishment in the US is willing to sell out its citizens by transferring technology to its Asian allies, agreeing to one sided trade agreements, and letting in millions of Asian immigrants participate in its labor market. China obviously isn't willing to do any of this which is why few if any Asian countries are willing to ally with China.
You think that is the only reason Asian nations fear China? I don't think you are paying attention.

Quote:
I don't think China will ever be a superpower, since they aren't willing to make the sort of concessions that the Soviets and Americans made, and few except for the most delusional analysts actually believe that China will be a superpower. That said, I do think China will carve a sphere of influence over Southeast Asia and maybe Northeast Asia (with the Koreas - I don't think Japan will ever fall under the Chinese sphere). Southeast Asia under Chinese hegemony will probably be similar to South America under American hegemony, that is the Chinese will set up awful trade deals and occasionally launch coups against any government that threatens Chinese business interests. Is this awful? Yes, but not any different from the way any other great power behaved. Of course, the big loser in all of this is the US since its trade interests will diminish in the face of Chinese hegemony which is the main reason why the US is so opposed to China. That's also perfectly fine but let's not pretend that the US is worried for any other reason other than that China threatens its power in Asia. That's also the reason why I wrote those provocative posts since your previous posts are full of nauseating neoconservative platitudes.
Your posts are full of sophomoric cynicism and demonstrate an ignorance of Asia.

I've been over here for more than 30 years. I am a very fluent Mandarin speaker. I travel all over the region frequently. If you do not believe that the US has had an overall good influence on the region, you need to read something other than the nonsense that apparently forms your jaded views.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:

and he was a Republican
Wow!

How about Truman, who was a Democrat, and who was the first US Prez to put the US in a war (Korea) without going to Congress for a declaration of war?

How about JFK, who was a Democrat and who got us into Vietnam, and LBJ, who was a Democrat and who made up the Gulf of Tonkin Incident to get us fighting in Vietnam?

So, Democrats got us into WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.

But, you cite Republican McKinley, who was not in favor of war against Spain.

And, as I have been arguing against the moronic moral equivalence that goes on around here, where some equate China's rise to power with the US rise, and say ignorantly that "China just wants to do what the US does", even in the great race to colonials the world, the US was only a bit player. The US never colonised anywhere near to the extent that the Europeans did, or the Soviets, or the Chinese, or the Japanese.

American imperialism? Give me a break. Go back to school.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Let's not forget that brutal occupation of the Philippines after that war. That occupation rivaled the brutality of the Bataan Death March. Of course since it was done by Americans, that occupation was just while the one done by the Japanese is savage and evil.
Are you a college sophomore history major, by chance?

Has anyone here stated that the US never committed any sins?

Do you understand the meaning of comparative, or relative?

Yes, the US colonisation of the PI was a shame.

But, to equate the US colonisation of the PI with the Japanese occupation is ignorant and idiotic.

There is a reason that the people of the PI love the US and detest Japan.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:46 PM

3,666 posts, read 3,524,189 times
North part of China has more Oil Fields.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:09 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,815,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Are you a college sophomore history major, by chance?

Has anyone here stated that the US never committed any sins?

Do you understand the meaning of comparative, or relative?

Yes, the US colonisation of the PI was a shame.

But, to equate the US colonisation of the PI with the Japanese occupation is ignorant and idiotic.

There is a reason that the people of the PI love the US and detest Japan.
How Asians View Each Other | Pew Research Center

Uh, the Filipinos love Japan as well. Not sure, if you checked the latest polls but close to 80% of Filipinos have a positive view of Japan. The most anti-Japanese Asians are Koreans and Chinese, the rest don't really care about WWII atrocities.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:58 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,716,274 times
I'm glad China has oil!

As their demand lowers they'll be sustainable on their own.

I'd chase this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or