U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 12:39 PM

4,678 posts, read 3,607,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
If the purpose of marriage is just economical gain, I do not think it is valid.

In my opinion, two men SHOULD pay more taxes than a man-woman couple too (on average). If they have children, that is another story.

And your arrogance shows up again. No need to comment on Chinese.
Why should two men pay more taxes over a hetero couple? It should be based on their combined salaries, not their specific genders relative to a graduated income tax system. Are you assuming that a woman makes less money than a man? That assumption is no longer always true.

The Chinese are not familiar with equal application of the law because China has always been ruled by men, not law. This is a fact. It may be changing slowing, but why do you think there is still so much corruption in China? Let's be real here. It's not my arrogance.

Some people get married for economic gains. But I dont think gays want that as their primary reason. I am pointing out the many benefits of hetero- marriage that gays feel they should be entitled to. If you have a gay civil union, you do not qualify for these benefits.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:44 PM

2,070 posts, read 1,590,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
backward peasant mentality is so behind the times, just like insisting on eating dogs and cats and believing in TCM voodoo magic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/14/wo...ge-ruling.html

I am surprised that an officer visited the couple who filed the lawsuit in China. The officer stated that it was the responsibility of a married couple to have children.....LOL!

So, I guess people who can't have kids should not be able to get married in China. Nor should old people etc. It's as if the Chinese need even more people in their overcrowded country. And what about all those abandoned girls in China? I guess they would rather these girls languish in poorly run and dirty orphanages with a few lucky ones adopted by foreigners (at a huge price) than to allow Chinese gay couples to adopt them. Such shortsighted and unevolved attitude in China, and it doesn't even have the BS judeo-Christian baggage to deal with! It's all because of that Confucian bovine manure about having kids to pass the family name that is once again stifling Chinese progress. Join the 21st century.

So tolerant of diversity...lol

Old 04-14-2016, 01:56 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Well, I dont know what it's like in China, but in the US, being a married couple entitles the two folks lots of benefits, from filing federal and state taxes jointly (and saving money) to mutual possession of real estate and properties, to medical decisionmaking for each other. To be married carries a lot of tangible and intangible benefits, financial and psychological.
In China, a couple can't file taxes jointly. In fact, they don't file tax returns at all. Your taxes are deducted from each pay check and that's it. So there is no economic benefit from that. China doesn't care if you are married or single, have kids or not. You pay the same tax rate depending on your income level.

As to mutual possession of real estate, one can simply put the partner's name in the document. I don't think the law requires it to be married couples.

Other factors you mention probably stand.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:08 PM

12,677 posts, read 14,063,903 times
Considering that the U.S. just got around to it, some of the comments in this thread are smug, self-righteous and arrogant.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
If he was would that be a problem? You sound like an ignorant bigot asking a dumbass question like that.
THank you, and I am a "she".....

Old 04-14-2016, 08:51 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Considering that the U.S. just got around to it, some of the comments in this thread are smug, self-righteous and arrogant.
Haha. The US does love to preach the second it gets a chance.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:58 PM

770 posts, read 731,800 times
The OP keeps trying to compare PRC to the USA and they are vastly different countries with very different structures of government, cultures and belief systems.

Who are you to say that one way is correct, and the other is not?

Homosexuality is very taboo in China and they need to maintain a certain level of their population. The introduction of homosexuality into government law and or mainstream culture could be a great detriment to the economy and to maintaining a steady number of the populous.

It could be argued that the US needs to join the 21st Century and drop fetishism associated with homosexuality.

Some people just can't see big picture sometimes because they are so trapped in their tiny little universe of lefty liberal thought processes..aka The New York Times.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:59 PM

501 posts, read 461,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The entire US has only recently accepted gay marriage, but places like Massachusetts legalized it over 12 years ago and Iowa, Connecticut, D.C. 7 or 8 years ago. 5 or 6 other states also legalized it before the Supreme Court brought the rest of the country in line. It's been a slowly evolving process for the last 15 years or so.

It seems to me the most young Chinese don't have any issues with homosexuality and care less about marriage in general than their parents, but I'm not sure how much effect public opinion has on public policy in China.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
The OP keeps trying to compare PRC to the USA and they are vastly different countries with very different structures of government, cultures and belief systems.

Who are you to say that one way is correct, and the other is not?

Homosexuality is very taboo in China and they need to maintain a certain level of their population. The introduction of homosexuality into government law and or mainstream culture could be a great detriment to the economy and to maintaining a steady number of the populous.

It could be argued that the US needs to join the 21st Century and drop fetishism associated with homosexuality.

Some people just can't see big picture sometimes because they are so trapped in their tiny little universe of lefty liberal thought processes..aka The New York Times.
You have a point until that fetish thing. How is that related to homosexuality specifically. Are you saying that heterosexual people don't have any sort of fetishism?

Homosexuality became a "taboo" only after the arrival of Christianity through missionaries in China several centuries ago. Then, the communists labelled homosexuality, along with a whole host of other things as "elements of bourgeois decadence". It was not a cultural taboo before that as China had a long and storied history of homosexuality.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Haha. The US does love to preach the second it gets a chance.
No, you don't know the US very well. We;ll had gay marriage for a while now, and the gay righst movement started here in NYC at Stonewall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or